KSP Weekly Challenge Suggestions

• 4 weeks later...

Since I recognize that KSP is not a game competing for scoring, I am holding an event to share unique ways to design vessels and how to approach missions in the Japan section.
I appreciate it if the KSP Challenge has adopted this exhibition.

Build a lithobrakeable lander, and land it on Minmus.  No thrusting allowed within (at most) 10km radar altitude above Minmus. The higher and/or more kerbals the better.

Edited by HansonKerman
Lucida

• 1 month later...

1) Get to a certain speed EG 15,000m/s

2) Put kerbal's on multiple bodies, EG Mun, Miniums and Gilly simultaneously

3) Rescue a vessel and bring it back to Kerbin - A ship spawns somewhere EG orbiting Gilly, you must recover it on kerbin

4) Destroy a building - A building spawns somewhere and it must be destroyed

5) Provide comm net access to a vessel or kerbal EG to a vessel with a basic antenna in orbit of Dres

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mun land speed record

fastest time from crater rim to opposite crater rim of a biome crater (eg polar craters, farside crater, etc...) in a rover built from stock parts.  no rocket engines. (rcs thrusters would only be permitted for stabilization)

Each of the crater biomes would have their own time category, so your polar crater time would only be measured against other polar crater times.  

Manned by at least 1 kerbal.  All kerbals must survive.  Engineer is permitted to repair wheel damage but timer does not stop while repairs are made.

easy - permit f5/f9

hard - no f5/f9

extreme - night time run - must be performed when the crater is on the dark side...  (headlights permitted)

• 1 month later...

Fly through the hoop: 

First attach a launch clamp to a structural tube. Now build a plane and fly through it twice (once in each direction) without breaking it or your plane.

Smallest tube diameter wins!

Rules: 

- you have to fly, no driving through the thing.

- mods allowed if they don‘t add any completely new propulsion / levitation method.

- you have to complete the two flythroughs in a single try, consecutively. Both flythroughs have to be done with the same vehicle. You may land inbetween, everything is fine as long as you don‘t break anything of your craft or the ring.

- your plane does not need to be manned, but it‘s much more fun that way!

13 hours ago, Human Person said:

Fly through the hoop: 

First attach a launch clamp to a structural tube. Now build a plane and fly through it twice (once in each direction) without breaking it or your plane.

Smallest tube diameter wins!

Rules: 

- you have to fly, no driving through the thing.

- mods allowed if they don‘t add any completely new propulsion / levitation method.

- you have to complete the two flythroughs in a single try, consecutively. Both flythroughs have to be done with the same vehicle. You may land inbetween, everything is fine as long as you don‘t break anything of your craft or the ring.

- your plane does not need to be manned, but it‘s much more fun that way!

Bring it on

• 3 weeks later...

How about a drop pod challenge?

drop%20pod.jpg

You need to bring at least one kerbal from a low Kerbin orbit back to the surface, but without any parachutes.
You may use airbrakes to slow your descent, and a single stage of solid fuel rockets (for example, Sepratrons) right before impact.

But spaceplanes do not qualify.

11 hours ago, Dark Lion said:

@Darth Badie are we even doing these KSP weekly challenges still? Either they're buried under other threads and I haven't seen them for months... Or they aren't a thing anymore. :ph34r:

Yes we are doing them as soon as we have a interesting challenge we will make it happen :D ideas are always welcome 

20 hours ago, Darth Badie said:

Yes we are doing them as soon as we have a interesting challenge we will make it happen :D ideas are always welcome 

Well there's a good news/bad news answer, if I've ever heard one...
So the good news is that it's still going. The bad news is that there aren't interesting enough challenges around to spur it on...
I didn't find some of the KSP weekly challenges interesting, but their entries certainly were, even when I couldn't be bothered to participate. I learned new ways to build or accomplish things I otherwise struggled with. And even when it wasn't all that challenging, I still enjoyed participating, if only to show off a bit. I'm lookin' at you KSPooky! ;)

What is "interesting?" Also: this is a challenge suggestion.
Thinking of challenges, my brain goes straight to racing -GOTTA GO FAST!- from launch to target. There's 15 races from launch to landing, just generalizing a race to each body that can be landed on, starting from Kerbin. Why not run a gauntlet of races like that? You get 2 weeks per race, then there's almost 8 solid months of interesting rapid-transit craft popping up on the launchpad. Give more time per race and there's over a year's worth of it! That, IMHO, would also make an epic collection of badges to collect. This is also the simplest and longest-running challenge series I could imagine without invoking many mods.

Buuuut.... if "interesting" means the challenge has never been issued/done before, I give the floor to the KSP community, who I'm confident will be ready to prove Murphy's Law. Honestly, I'd struggle to come up with something like that, so I really don't expect you to. Then again, I never would've thought of KSPooky...

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoy trying to make tiny ships, and I know many famous players are significantly better at it than me.

I would suggest a three version challenge - build the lightest crewed ship with less than 50 parts capable of landing on amd returning from -

A. Minmus (easy)

B. The Mun (medium)

C. Duna (hard)

With possible bonus points for features such as -

-having less than 20 parts

-being able to land on more than one destination

-being fully reusable

Let me know what you think we could make of this.

Just make any combination you want and you'll have a challenge.

-Vehicule type: plane, rover, boat, ssto, space shuttle, rocket, lander,....

-Feature: Monowheel, Paraglider, Two wheel, No wheel, xyz symmetry, asymmetric,...

-Goal: speed, range, capacity, stunt/skill, target,...

-(Optional) Special condition: theme, historic,... or any crazy idea you may have.

Edit: Hey Squad those idea are completly free! I also have idea for a KSP 2 but those have a price. ;)

Edited by Mathrilord

• 2 weeks later...

okay, so my idea is to make a space station that SURROUNDS Gilly. Mechjeb and parts mods are allowed but docking must be manual, no alt+f12 or hyperedit. scoring is as follows: start w/ 5,000 points and subtract 10 with every launch, also your mission must be under 100 years or you will lose 10 points per year, points gained for interesting designs and +1 point for every kerbal onboard. You must have an escape pod capable of sending at least 80% of your kerbals back to LKO

good luck,

jamie

1 hour ago, Jaime said:

okay, so my idea is to make a space station that SURROUNDS Gilly. Mechjeb and parts mods are allowed but docking must be manual, no alt+f12 or hyperedit. scoring is as follows: start w/ 5,000 points and subtract 10 with every launch, also your mission must be under 100 years or you will lose 10 points per year, points gained for interesting designs and +1 point for every kerbal onboard. You must have an escape pod capable of sending at least 80% of your kerbals back to LKO

If you mean having the station wrap all the way around Gilly as a ring (or even a sphere), I'm pretty sure that's not even theoretically possible without editing physics.cfg or using a mod to extend the physics range. Even Gilly isn't small enough for the whole moon to fit inside the default physics range (which depends on vessel state, but is generally around 2.5 km IIRC) at once.

1 hour ago, vyznev said:

If you mean having the station wrap all the way around Gilly as a ring (or even a sphere), I'm pretty sure that's not even theoretically possible without editing physics.cfg or using a mod to extend the physics range. Even Gilly isn't small enough for the whole moon to fit inside the default physics range (which depends on vessel state, but is generally around 2.5 km IIRC) at once.

alright didn't think of physics range

• 2 months later...

An Apollo-style mission to Minmus has been planned with four Kerbal(s) on board. It's mission -  to collect surface samples from 3 distinct Biomes using a rover. Return the science and Kerbal(s) to Kerbin.  During the  Kerbin-Minmus transition phase, one of the Kerbals is taken ill and needs to return to Kerbin at the earliest opportunity. Continue the mission using the following criteria:- The Command Module must swing directly around Minmus and return directly to Kerbin. The Lander must land a rover with Kerbal(s) on Minmus to continue the mission. A Rescue vehicle must launch to meet with the returning Command module, refuel it and take the sick Kerbal back to Kerbin. The command module should then return to Minmus to collect the lander crew.

Conditions:

1) There must be a minimum of 3 sections to the vehicle, A launch vehicle/command module, a lander and a rover.

2) The rover itself must not use any method other than wheels to propel itself. So a separate lander is required to deliver the rover to the surface and return the science once the rover has completed its job.

3) The command module can only flyby Minmus, during this first approach though must pass within it's SOI. It is not allowed to enter orbit around Minmus at this time. It may enter orbit when it returns later. The lander may orbit Minmus.

4) The lander must deorbit and destroy itself on Minmus.

5) No lost or dead Kerbals.

More science points is better. Lower DeltaV requirement is better. Landing the sick Kerbal quicker and closer to the space centre is better.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.