[1.12.3] Spectra Visual Compilation 1.6.2 "Horizons" (26th July 2022)

HafCoJoe

11 hours ago, AlphaRP said:

Im getting some weird effect the last couple of days, not all the time. After restarting game its gone until it pops up again. Eve can do weird stuff too.

https://imgur.com/a/5MhRd04

Anyone have a clue?

I think this is a problem with scatterer (not fact). I get a similar bug (it happens sometimes). Moving to "space center" and back helps fix this.

do you have the latest version of scatterer?

1 hour ago, BezKartuza said:

I think this is a problem with scatterer (not fact). I get a similar bug (it happens sometimes). Moving to "space center" and back helps fix this.

do you have the latest version of scatterer?

Yeah, I always check for mod updates with CKAN before I launch KSP.

16 hours ago, AlphaRP said:

Im getting some weird effect the last couple of days, not all the time. After restarting game its gone until it pops up again. Eve can do weird stuff too.

https://imgur.com/a/5MhRd04

Anyone have a clue?

Ah- this is a relatively new Scatterer related bug it seems. It seems to happen randomly when you enter flight or tracking station. Changing your sphere of influence seems to fix it, I.E. open ALT-F12 and quickly hack or orbit to another planet and go back and it should be fixed. @blackrack any chance you've run into this too?

21 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Ah- this is a relatively new Scatterer related bug it seems. It seems to happen randomly when you enter flight or tracking station. Changing your sphere of influence seems to fix it, I.E. open ALT-F12 and quickly hack or orbit to another planet and go back and it should be fixed. @blackrack any chance you've run into this too?

I haven't, but at the same time I don't really do long play sessions. I would appreciate a 100% sure way to reproduce it.

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

I haven't, but at the same time I don't really do long play sessions. I would appreciate a 100% sure way to reproduce it.

I'll definitely let you know if I run across one- its funny to have to say it, but you have to see a problem to fix it :P 

On 8/13/2020 at 12:58 PM, Avera9eJoe said:

"Changing your sphere of influence seems to fix it"

Yesterday I was having the funny Kerbin again in mapview, I was planning my capture trajectory. When I switched back and timewarped to my node Kerbin looked good. Will look 

10 hours ago, blackrack said:

I'll be on the lookout. Havent noticed a pattern so far. Im prototyping my Eve lander so ill be going back and forth alot tonight, well see.

I'm really loving Spectra, but one thing that seems off to me is Kerbin's atmosphere/horizon. It looks too dark in the daytime.

Spoiler

PQvEzaK.jpg

The mountains seem too bright in comparison to the rest of the horizon, and it look even stranger from even just a couple thousand meters up.

Spoiler

ZXvtcHw.jpg

Is there any way to brighten the horizon and atmosphere in general? I've tried other configs but they end up making Kerbin really hazy from space. Is there some sort of compromise?

3 hours ago, The L3mur said:

I'm really loving Spectra, but one thing that seems off to me is Kerbin's atmosphere/horizon. It looks too dark in the daytime.

Reveal hidden contents

PQvEzaK.jpg

The mountains seem too bright in comparison to the rest of the horizon, and it look even stranger from even just a couple thousand meters up.

Reveal hidden contents

ZXvtcHw.jpg

Is there any way to brighten the horizon and atmosphere in general? I've tried other configs but they end up making Kerbin really hazy from space. Is there some sort of compromise?

Hey L3mur! I think it's a trade-off :/ I think 'brightness' or 'multiplier' is the setting that is related to this, one of the first few sliders in Scatterer, but I can't remember offhand. Like you said though I think when you increase the horizon brightness it starts messing with haziness in orbit. It could be one of the consequences of earth atmosphere on a 1/10th scale body

On 8/16/2020 at 3:15 AM, Avera9eJoe said:

Hey L3mur! I think it's a trade-off :/ I think 'brightness' or 'multiplier' is the setting that is related to this, one of the first few sliders in Scatterer, but I can't remember offhand. Like you said though I think when you increase the horizon brightness it starts messing with haziness in orbit. It could be one of the consequences of earth atmosphere on a 1/10th scale body

After messing with Scatterer configs, I think I've found something I like. I simply edited Spectra's atmo.cfg for Kerbin and replaced the values from 0 m to 25000 m with the default Scatterer values for those altitudes, and now Kerbin looks great from the ground and in space! Now I can officially declare Spectra the best visual pack for KSP :D.

10 hours ago, The L3mur said:

After messing with Scatterer configs, I think I've found something I like. I simply edited Spectra's atmo.cfg for Kerbin and replaced the values from 0 m to 25000 m with the default Scatterer values for those altitudes, and now Kerbin looks great from the ground and in space! Now I can officially declare Spectra the best visual pack for KSP :D.

Nice! I should mention I'm still not settled with my settings for Kerbin, so it might be worth trying what you did if it improves the look while gaining altitude. My settings I tried to optimize to hide the banding that occurs w/ Scatterer

• 3 weeks later...

Hey @Avera9eJoe, I was going to PM you this, but apparently I can only send 0 messages per day, so yeah.. One of my favorite features of Spectra always were the ground textures from KSPRC, but not actually the surface textures (although they were pretty great too, compared to stock), but the textures you see from Orbit/in the map view. Sadly, you took them out of Spectra in the new update (and I get why, it was replacing the new surface shader). My question is, would it be possible to make those 'orbit-textures' a separate pack that works with the new surface shader?

20 hours ago, Adelarium said:

Hey @Avera9eJoe, I was going to PM you this, but apparently I can only send 0 messages per day, so yeah.. One of my favorite features of Spectra always were the ground textures from KSPRC, but not actually the surface textures (although they were pretty great too, compared to stock), but the textures you see from Orbit/in the map view. Sadly, you took them out of Spectra in the new update (and I get why, it was replacing the new surface shader). My question is, would it be possible to make those 'orbit-textures' a separate pack that works with the new surface shader?

Greetings! Yes- if you want to use custom scaled space textures (also called map textures/orbit textures), simply copy the planet textures into GameData/Texture replacer/Default. You can grab them from a previous version of Spectra from SpaceDock; it saves all previous versions. The textures you need to copy are located in GameData/Spectra/Spectra_Textures/Planets, if I recall correctly. I hope this helps?

2 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Greetings! Yes- if you want to use custom scaled space textures (also called map textures/orbit textures), simply copy the planet textures into GameData/Texture replacer/Default. You can grab them from a previous version of Spectra from SpaceDock; it saves all previous versions. The textures you need to copy are located in GameData/Spectra/Spectra_Textures/Planets, if I recall correctly. I hope this helps?

Thanks a lot, that worked perfectly!

7 hours ago, Adelarium said:

Thanks a lot, that worked perfectly!

Glad to hear! I might re-add the scaled space textures in a new update, too. SQUAD revamped a few of them in the updates, but not all of them. The textures Spectra uses were created by a user named @Endraxial a number of years back, and she let me caretake them when her interest waned :)

On 7/26/2020 at 9:36 AM, Arco123 said:

I deleted everything but the configs/textures for OPM. Deleted references in configs to where textures go for planets that spectra covers. But when It starts AVP somehow comes up on top and there is no clouds on Kerbin or anything that AVP still has stuff for and Spectra kinda just fades away. Since AVP has no textures its no clouds. So what is there that's messing stuff up? I'll get a log and pic soon™.

Did you ever figure this out? I got it working almost perfectly by removing every section in every AVP config that had to do with stock bodies, but one problem still remains: Duna is bright purple. If I remove duna1.dds from AVP, nothing has any clouds.

9 hours ago, ForgiLaGeord said:

Did you ever figure this out? I got it working almost perfectly by removing every section in every AVP config that had to do with stock bodies, but one problem still remains: Duna is bright purple. If I remove duna1.dds from AVP, nothing has any clouds.

Ah, deleting that texture makes the .cfg file have an error because it no longer finds anything at that filepath. duna1.dds isn't related to the purple glow; it's Dina's high alt cloud layer texture if I remember correctly. As for what's causing it, did you ever open the EVE GUI and hit save at all? I have some custom module manager patches that enable/disable depending on if Scatterer is installed but if you hit save in the in-game EVE GUI it removes the patches and duplicates the Duna glow layer each time you hit save. Could that be the cause? It's easy to fix by just re-downloading Spectra or replacing the it's .cfg files.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Nicky21 said:

I've been flirting with the idea of tryign the Spectra mod. Currently i'm playing Galileo's plaet pack , ksp 1.9 with EVE.

I want to know if the two mods play well together. (gpp and spectra)

Being honest, I don't know if they work together or not. Previously they didn't, because I was using Kopernicus, but since I'm not using Kopernicus anymore they might be compatible. There've been at least a half dozen people who have asked me this question too, and I always ask them to report back if it works or not but no one has been kind enough to post saying that it does or doesn't :( 

28 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Being honest, I don't know if they work together or not. Previously they didn't, because I was using Kopernicus, but since I'm not using Kopernicus anymore they might be compatible. There've been at least a half dozen people who have asked me this question too, and I always ask them to report back if it works or not but no one has been kind enough to post saying that it does or doesn't :( 

I'll try it right now, but honestly i don't know what signs to look at to see if everything is as it shoudl be. At least i'll let you know if the game starts.

2 hours ago, Nicky21 said:

Alright. So the game starts and works properly, but i have to say i'm not impressed with the visuals. I notice no clouds over ksp when i timelapsed a bit. So i'm gonna guess that the atmo effects aren't properly set up.

Here are some pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/Un6McNg

Spectra is only designed for the stock KSP solar system; it doesn't change non-stock bodies.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

• 5 weeks later...

heyo, quick q: i downladed the RVE64k_Kerbin_Clouds_for_Spectra-1.1 file and have a couple qustions:

1) does this work with regular stock spectra (non-real solar system?)

2) to install do I need replace files in the Spectra/textures folder or simple install along-side the regular 8k clouds? will that double up on clouds and memory usage?

thanks!

6 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

heyo, quick q: i downladed the RVE64k_Kerbin_Clouds_for_Spectra-1.1 file and have a couple qustions:

1) does this work with regular stock spectra (non-real solar system?)

2) to install do I need replace files in the Spectra/textures folder or simple install along-side the regular 8k clouds? will that double up on clouds and memory usage?

thanks!

Hey there!

1. The add-on RVE64k Kerbin Clouds for Spectra simply adds higher res textures to the base scatterer mod, so yes it works with regular Spectra, in fact there's only one person of Spectra as far as I know, unless someone's made an unofficial one. :P

2. To install it you simply drag and drop into GameData like any other mod; the config files it has automagically remove and replace the original cloud texture, so you don't need to worry about memory usage. As you maybread elsewhere though, I highly recommend installing via CKAN, since it updates things automatically, and it has a custom list of recommended mods that shows up when you install Spectra which includes all the special add-ons like city lights, 64k clouds, as well as my custom launch site.

I also alsounderstand the fun of manual installation, though. I was a late adopter to CKAN and spent my first five years of KSP doing everything manually. In the end I found that CKAN was more reliable, and faster.