[1.12.3] Spectra Visual Compilation 1.6.2 "Horizons" (26th July 2022)

HafCoJoe

3 hours ago, tkw said:

can you add visuals to Outer Planets Mod?

I'm using Stock Visual Enhancements with Spectra by pruning out redundant EVE, Scatterer, and Texture files or lines in combined .cfgs that cover the Stock planets, or anything that looks like a duplicate of what comes in Spectra (eclipses, shadows, ), leaving behind just the OPM ones.

I probably haven't clipped it all out, but it works.  I think Eeloo doesn't receive the Spectra changes when I do this (since it gets moved to Sarnus), but it's better than nothing.  Poodmund's OPM Visual Overhaul may get re-worked eventually; he last commented on it in March....

Edited by KSPrynk
typo

3 hours ago, tkw said:

can you add visuals to Outer Planets Mod?

I'm afraid not, unless someone can enlighten me on how to use Kopernicus/EVE for planets other than the stock game. I don't play with any modded solar systems so I don't have a reason to add visuals to them :/

My Duna config seems to be off, there's 5 scatterer blue, 1 Duna High and 1 Duna Aurora, no Duna dust storm. Though i did successfully moved AVP orange atmosphere to replace.

5 hours ago, Sirius K said:

My Duna config seems to be off, there's 5 scatterer blue, 1 Duna High and 1 Duna Aurora, no Duna dust storm. Though i did successfully moved AVP orange atmosphere to replace.

Please do not try to modify Spectra's EVE layers in game, it breaks the ModuleManager configs. The reason you have 5 scatterer blue layers is probably because you pressed save in the EVE gui 5 times. To edit Spectra's EVE layers you'll have to do it by hand in the configs :P Or remove the ModuleManager patches by hand, one or the other.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

4 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Please do not try to modify Spectra's EVE layers in game, it breaks the ModuleManager configs. The reason you have 5 scatterer blue layers is probably because you pressed save in the EVE gui 5 times. To edit Spectra's EVE layers you'll have to do it by hand in the configs :P Or remove the ModuleManager patches by hand, one or the other.

Can reinstalling EVE or Spectra do the same thing?

13 hours ago, Roostergod said:

does this mod interfere with the ground features from breaking ground? after installing i haven't seen any craters or rocks on the mun.

Spectra shouldn't effect those, odd that you haven't seen any recently :/.

11 hours ago, Sirius K said:

Can reinstalling EVE or Spectra do the same thing?

Reinstalling EVE or Spectra shouldn't break things unless you have already pressed save in the GUI. If you did press save you'll have to delete the files in 'GameData/Spectra/Spectra_configs' and replace them with fresh ones to fix the duplicate layers.

@Avera9eJoe could you possibly make a version of Spectra for JNSQ? The only visual pack for JNSQ so far is Ad Astra, and it hasn't been updated since 1.7.3. Also, it kills literally everyone's computers. The built in JNSQ visuals aren't that great, and it always seems like a downgrade when I switch from for stock solar system (with Spectra) save to my JNSQ one. I (and I think plenty of others) would really appreciate it if you could!

16 hours ago, Misguided_Kerbal said:

@Avera9eJoe could you possibly make a version of Spectra for JNSQ? The only visual pack for JNSQ so far is Ad Astra, and it hasn't been updated since 1.7.3. Also, it kills literally everyone's computers. The built in JNSQ visuals aren't that great, and it always seems like a downgrade when I switch from for stock solar system (with Spectra) save to my JNSQ one. I (and I think plenty of others) would really appreciate it if you could!

Yo! Sorry but the answer is no for now :/ I don't use any planet packs and so I don't have much motivation to create an add-on that I wouldn't use myself. This said, I've heard that people have had luck with making Spectra compatible with planet packs by removing it's Kopernicus_config.cfg inside GameData/Spectra/Spectra_configs. It might not be too far off to go into the EVE files and copy existing layers over to the new planets. I haven't tried this myself though. (Haven't even loaded a planet pack :P)

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Just now, Avera9eJoe said:

Yo! Sorry but the answer is no for now :/ I don't use any planet packs and so I don't have much motivation to create an add-on that I wouldn't use myself. This said, I've heard that people have had luck with making Spectra compatible with planet packs by removing it's Kopernicus_config.cfg inside GameData/Spectra/Spectra_configs. It might not be too far off to go into the EVE files and copy existing layers over to other planets. I haven't tried this myself though. (Haven't even loaded a planet pack :P)

Ok, thanks! But you should try JNSQ. 

10 hours ago, horace said:

mod's clouds are not working in 1.10

luckily scatterer still works!

7 hours ago, BezKartuza said:

Spectra 1.3.3 / Game version - 1.10

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot-001.png

Screenshot-002.png

Screenshot-003.png

Screenshot-004.png

Screenshot-005.png

Screenshot-006.png

Screenshot-007.png

Screenshot-008.png

Screenshot-009.png

Screenshot-010.png

Mods.jpg

We have to wait for EVE and Scatterer to update, Spectra isn't much without its parent mods :P

Edited by Avera9eJoe

@BezKartuza and @horace from what I can understand, I think you both will need to re-download/install EVE and then things should work in 1.10 no problem. A friend reported that he had to reinstall EVE.

Announcement! Spectra 1.4.0 will be releasing shortly, changing a number of things with the mod. Most namely, we are dropping Kopernicus as a dependent mod thanks to the new surface revamp with 1.10. This should free up a lot of lag the mod caused in odd situations.

Spectra 1.4.0 is live!

Full changes:

• Removed Kopernicus as a dependent mod (no longer needed thanks to the KSP 1.10 surface revamp!)
  • Removed PlanetShine config - not needed
  • Mun tweak - strengthened glow
  • Minmus bugfix - raised glow height to prevent mountains from clipping
  • Duna tweak - strengthened clouds
  • Jool tweak - revamped for new surface textures

If you are having problems with clouds not appearing, try to uninstall and re-download/reinstall EVE.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

I was snooping around in the configuration files (EVE_atmoMain), and I noticed the UVnoise settings are set to zero for not only every cloud layer which didn't have them before, which I suppose makes sense, but also for EveBands, which previously had nonzero values there. This would disable any animation shifting the clouds around a little, right? I don't see any mention of this in the changelog, so was that intentional?

EDIT: Also the skybox textures are gone.

Edited by RyanRising

1 hour ago, RyanRising said:

I was snooping around in the configuration files (EVE_atmoMain), and I noticed the UVnoise settings are set to zero for not only every cloud layer which didn't have them before, which I suppose makes sense, but also for EveBands, which previously had nonzero values there. This would disable any animation shifting the clouds around a little, right? I don't see any mention of this in the changelog, so was that intentional?

EDIT: Also the skybox textures are gone.

Hey! Good eye. UVnoise was only enabled for Jool and Laythe's bioluminescence because it's a quite laggy feature of EVE. You'll see that the only bodies that actually have UVnoise textures named are Jool and Laythe. That said, I saw in testing that UVnoise was effecting other planets as well, and so as a hopful bugfix I added uvnoise 0 to each planet. It shouldn't actually change anything since they don't have any textures referenced, but its a precaution.

As for the skybox textures... It's a bit of a long story. Being honest with you I'm not a big fan of the skybox I've been using in Spectra and so I left them out of this release. I created it myself from the Tycho starmap (Earth's night sky) with more saturation to match the stock skybox colors a bit. I don't like using a real-life analog skybox considering KSP is completely fiction. With the skybox revamp that was added to the stock game recently, I'm not sure if the skybox from Spectra is needed anymore. To be more to the point though, in my personal save I actually use the skybox from @Gameslinx's Beyond home planet pack- its an absolutely gorgeous skybox :).

So, yeah. There' are my reasons :P This said though if enough people want it, I can re-add the old-school tycho starmap in the future. I would just not use it myself. I need to update the CKAN META file anyways to tell it to not install TextureReplacer or Kopernicus. You can always download an older release and copy over the files in TextureReplacer too.

1 hour ago, Mawd14 said:

When will the new version be uploaded to CKAN?

It should already be on CKAN since it updates automatically from Spacedock, although I haven't checked myself.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Maybe a dump question but with the new release of Spectra,

While using it with Planet shine should use stock config for planet shine or should i copy paste from old updates configs of Spectra.

36 minutes ago, Kerminator1000 said:

Is Spectra compatible with Stock Visual Enhancements? 

Also is there a way to use Spectra without texture replacer, I'm not really a big fan of the kerbals with beards and hair.

Thanks

@Kerminator1000 

Also is there a way to use Spectra without texture replacer 

----- As i know texture replacer is a dependency for skybox but @Avera9eJoe can answer better on that.

Stock Visual Enhancements

----- Is it still updated i guess that mod is obsolete.

Edited by HoneyBadger

48 minutes ago, Kerminator1000 said:

Is Spectra compatible with Stock Visual Enhancements? 

Also is there a way to use Spectra without texture replacer, I'm not really a big fan of the kerbals with beards and hair.

Thanks

26 minutes ago, HoneyBadger said:

Maybe a dump question but with the new release of Spectra,

While using it with Planet shine should use stock config for planet shine or should i copy paste from old updates configs of Spectra.

@Kerminator1000 

Also is there a way to use Spectra without texture replacer 

----- As i know texture replacer is a dependency for skybox but @Avera9eJoe can answer better on that.

Stock Visual Enhancements

----- Is it still updated i guess that mod is obsolete.

HoneyBadger is correct with both statements- 

Spectra is not compatible with SVE because both SVE and Spectra are addons for the same parent mod, EVE. Think of it as two different flavors of candy-bar. You can either add clouds via SVE, or you can add clouds via Spectra.

Spectra in fact does not use TextureReplacer anymore, so you can totally uninstall it if you don't want it :)

2 minutes ago, Kerminator1000 said:

Ok thank you

Also should you put the spectra folder in game data or the KSP folder?

Yep you need to put it in Game Data

@Avera9eJoe sorry for disturbing again but if i install Planet shine via CKAN it still asks either Spectra or Default config since you removed it in the last update i choose default config which comes with Planet Shine. If spectra config isn't needed anymore it can cause some miss installations via CKAN.

2 hours ago, HoneyBadger said:

Yep you need to put it in Game Data

@Avera9eJoe sorry for disturbing again but if i install Planet shine via CKAN it still asks either Spectra or Default config since you removed it in the last update i choose default config which comes with Planet Shine. If spectra config isn't needed anymore it can cause some miss installations via CKAN.

Odd, I'll update the CKAN file just in case.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

@Avera9eJoe, I've tried out Spectra in KSP 1.10 with EVE 1.8.0.2 and Scatterer 0.0610 (which I think are the most up to date) and everything appears to work - or at least not be obviously broken.  I did have a question about Jool.

The new, highly detailed, textures for the surface seem a bit muted with Spectra.  Was this a deliberate adjustment, or just a side effect of the cloud layer settings?

I took a craft on a death plunge into the atmosphere, and it seemed like the clouds were a bit more tenuous than usual, to the point where I could really only tell what was a cloud by time warping along.  I thought Jool atmo layers were a bit more distinct in previous Spectra versions, but maybe I was thinking of Eve.

To spice things up a bit, I copied the VallDust Object and renamed it JoolDust, and arbitrarily tweaked the color (40,100,70,70) and altitude (20000).  This may have added some subtle ring-like optical effects on the planet (I have to revert back and see), but it felt more like a real gas giant, with various layers of different gases as temp and pressure changes.

Is there a guide to EVE parameters out in the wild?  I'm stabbing in the dark on the settings - for instance, I just assumed Color values were Red, Green, Blue, and Opacity. The leftover VallDust settings resulted in a relatively thin layer of fog, that I fell through quickly, so now I'm looking for how to make it thicker (in height).  But I don't know how that impacts performance. 

My goal is a visual trip to the bottom that provides incentive to do a Galileo-style probe mission.   I'm wondering if it's possible to duplicate the current surface textures as a translucent second layer, a few tens of km up, perhaps with shadowing, and a final layer of "superfog" near the crush depth line, to create a murky, dim layer of atmo between the two.  It'd be a great place to hide some Carl Sagan-esque terrain scatter/BG surface feature life forms hanging in the air....  

Edited by KSPrynk