[1.12.3] Spectra Visual Compilation 1.6.2 "Horizons" (26th July 2022)

HafCoJoe

39 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

My guess is there is something wrong with the most recent version of Kopernicus - I'll fix it as soon as I have time :( Older releases of Kopernicus should fix it, but terrain scatters won't be working anymore.

Sounds like you have bad values in your scaledVersion to PQS fade parameters. This version of Kopernicus is definitely the most stable I have seen in a long time so I doubt it's something with it. 

Edited by Galileo

Wow... sometimes I amaze myself on how naive I can be... I was under the erroneous belief that this mod  could not be used with SVT... but it can! AHHSUM!

It's SVE you can't run at the same time as this mod right?

Edited by TheKurgan

52 minutes ago, TheKurgan said:

Wow... sometimes I amaze myself on how naive I can be... I was under the erroneous belief that this mod  could not be used with SVT... but it can! AHHSUM!

It's SVE you can't run at the same time as this mod right?

Only run (parts of) SVE if you know what you're doing and how to splice multiple visual packs. (also realize that if you do so, you're doing your own "support")

I'm running the parts of SVE I really like along with Spectra with overall good results. (I have some corona issues with the sun due to running GPP as a secondary system - not @Galileo 's fault since I am definitely not using it as intended)

@Avera9eJoe - you've built a marvelous visual pack here, loving it so far!

Alright everybody I've got some good news and some bad news.

The good news is that I know exactly what the bug is that's causing specifically Moho, Gilly, Ike, and Bop to all have invisible terrain: They all use the Kopernicus module "VertexColorMap" and I removed something important with it in the last release*. VertexColorMap is used to color surface terrain based on the orbital texture instead of procedurally generating it the way it's usually done. I use VertexColorMap on these bodies to introduce more noise and variation in the terrain since they all have relatively little variation in their terrain when it's generated procedurally.

The bad news is what broke it was  removing *the .dds file extensions from the config in order for them to work on mac. @Thomas P. would it be possible to make VertexColorMap work without having to include the file extentions in the map?

1DF4lno.pngI.E. make the underlined file extension unnecessary. When I remove it the entire surface becomes completely invisible.

I'm going to re-release Spectra with a config that has the .dds extentions in VertexColor map. I don't have a mac so I can't test what this will do for mac users sadly :/ It will be fixed for all PCs though. Expect the update within the hour. I'll just change the header to v1.1.3 - won't make an announcement post this time since I don't like posting twice in a row :P

Edited by Avera9eJoe

31 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Alright everybody I've got some good news and some bad news.

The good news is that I know exactly what the bug is that's causing specifically Moho, Gilly, Ike, and Bop to all have invisible terrain: They all use the Kopernicus module "VertexColorMap" and I removed something important with it in the last release*. VertexColorMap is used to color surface terrain based on the orbital texture instead of procedurally generating it the way it's usually done. I use VertexColorMap on these bodies to introduce more noise and variation in the terrain since they all have relatively little variation in their terrain when it's generated procedurally.

The bad news is what broke it was  removing *the .dds file extensions from the config in order for them to work on mac. @Thomas P. would it be possible to make VertexColorMap work without having to include the file extentions in the map?

1DF4lno.pngI.E. make the underlined file extension unnecessary. When I remove it the entire surface becomes completely invisible.

I'm going to re-release Spectra with a config that has the .dds extentions in VertexColor map. I don't have a mac so I can't test what this will do for mac users sadly :/ It will be fixed for all PCs though. Expect the update within the hour. I'll just change the header to v1.1.3 - won't make an announcement post this time since I don't like posting twice in a row :P

dds textures work fine on Macs. It's how mods are structured that Macs don't agree with... you simply can't have dds textures in a PluginData folder. It's that simple. Just look at how SVt or GPP structure the textures.

Edited by Galileo

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

dds textures work fine on Macs. It's how mods are structured that Macs don't agree with... you simply can't have dds textures in a PluginData folder. It's that simple.

I'm not sure I follow what you mean with a "PluginData folder" - there's a way to fix this though?

Edited by Avera9eJoe

12 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

I'm not sure I follow what you mean with a "PluginData folder" - there's a way to fix this though?

typically, putting textures in a folder named "PluginData" within your mod, would allow ksp to load a little quicker. Macs and Linux do not like this, though and will cause the yellow stripe problem you see around the forums. I think I finally convinced about 90% of planet makers to move their textures out of a PluginData folder, and have alleviated many yellow striped bug reports. I have way more in depth comments about his elsewhere, I just don't feel like looking for them now. Long story short, Macs and Linux don't have issues with dds textures, but they do have a problem with where you store them. With that being said, there is no need for a version of Kopernicus to make VertexHeightMap work without the extension because a dds texture is always a dds texture regardless of if you can see the extension or not. It has to be included with vertexheightmap though.

Edited by Galileo

4 minutes ago, Galileo said:

typically, putting textures in a folder named "PluginData" within your mod, would allow ksp to load a little quicker. Macs and Linux do not like this, though and will cause the yellow stripe problem you see around the forums. I think I finally convinced about 90% of planet makers to move their textures out of a PluginData folder, and have alleviated many yellow striped bug reports. I have way more in depth comments about his elsewhere, I just don't feel like looking for them now. Long story short, Macs and Linux don't have issues with dds textures, but they do have a problem with where you store them.

Huh... I don't have any PluginData folders though and people have still been having problems on macs with texture errors. Strangely enough though I can't find the original comment but it was suggested as a fix a few pages back to remove the .dds extentions from the kopernicus config. It looks as though that wasn't the best decision though.

Also btw, did you update your signature recently? It looks awesome :)

1 minute ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Huh... I don't have any PluginData folders though and people have still been having problems on macs with texture errors. Strangely enough though I can't find the original comment but it was suggested as a fix a few pages back to remove the .dds extentions from the kopernicus config. It looks as though that wasn't the best decision though.

If there are still texture issues, and you don't have a PluginData folder for your textures, the issue is not with the texture or the extension, but likely somewhere else.

I'll download spectra tonight and look it over.

4 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Also btw, did you update your signature recently? It looks awesome :)

Indeed! Thanks

instead of making the atmosphere more beautifull this mod seemed to have completely removed it as the sky is all white and in the map view Kerbin is completely white aswell

i dont know much about mods so i need some help with detailed instructions

Edited by Lui Kerman

6 minutes ago, Lui Kerman said:

instead of making the atmosphere more beautifull this mod seemed to have completely removed it as the sky is all white and in the map view Kerbin is completely white aswell

i dont know much about mods so i need some help with detailed instructions

Try removing, redownloading, and reinstalling Scatterer. That's a Scatterer bug that happens on occasion. I still don't know exactly what trips it but redownloading and reinstalling Scatterer always fixes it for me. If it doesn't it means you've got more problems than one :P

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TeraByte_Gaming said:

I love how this mod makes the planets look, but I'm having issues with Duna and Jool turning into white blobs of glitchyness. Anyone know what might be causing this?

Can you try re-downloading and reinstalling Scatterer? That's a common bug with Scatterer, though I don't know exactly what ticks it. Redownloading and reinstalling has fixed it for me. If that doesn't work, try this on a clean install.

On 9/1/2017 at 4:36 PM, Avera9eJoe said:

I stoper bundling everything because if I did, it would mean I'd have to re-release it for every support mod update :P I liked the simplicity with that too but sadly it just didn't make sense in the long run. As for that abrupt line, I'll see if I can fix it - my Scatterer configs changed with the recent update, explaining why it's messed up now.

Hey Avera9eJoe, I was wondering if you could pass on the scatterer config fix for the abrupt line please? Or can you tell me what change to make?  I see it is the same in the latest version of Spectra.

59 minutes ago, Joker58th said:

Hey Avera9eJoe, I was wondering if you could pass on the scatterer config fix for the abrupt line please? Or can you tell me what change to make?  I see it is the same in the latest version of Spectra.

I know the bug and I haven't had the time to fix it yet sorry :P I'm not quite sure what causes it, but it was carried over when I experimented with various settings. It should be an easy fix for me when I get around to it.

12 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

I know the bug and I haven't had the time to fix it yet sorry :P I'm not quite sure what causes it, but it was carried over when I experimented with various settings. It should be an easy fix for me when I get around to it.

Ok, no problem.  I was just checking if you forgot about me.  Thanks for your work on all this!

The performance and looks for a stock system within this pack are unmatched and simply beautiful. Encountering a blueish Duna from a far is breathtaking.

My go to for non-RSS installs, thanks very much for creating this suite!

4 hours ago, Theysen said:

The performance and looks for a stock system within this pack are unmatched and simply beautiful. Encountering a blueish Duna from a far is breathtaking.

My go to for non-RSS installs, thanks very much for creating this suite!

Thank you! Very glad to hear you like it so much :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/04/2017 at 4:28 AM, Avera9eJoe said:

My desktop when combining SVT configs with KSPRC textures :)

X2nXR4P.png

I love your mod, huge thanks for it ! In return I gonna make you a present: 

https://code.visualstudio.com/

or 

https://www.sublimetext.com/

With my buddy we had a good lough when we saw your desktop (don't take it wrong, it's just fun  ;-), you brought a bit of sunshine in a terrible day at work.

Those two softwares will enhance your productivity on every aspects and you might avoid some encoding issue that word-pad could bring if you're not careful enough .

Cheers !

Edited by RoscaS

2 hours ago, RoscaS said:

I love your mod, huge thanks for it ! In return I gonna make you a present: 

https://code.visualstudio.com/

or 

https://www.sublimetext.com/

With my buddy we had a good lough when we saw your desktop (don't take it wrong, it's just fun  ;-), you brought a bit of sunshine in a terrible day at work.

Those two softwares will enhance your productivity on every aspects and you might avoid some encoding issue that word-pad could bring if you're not careful enough .

Cheers !

Ha! :D Not taken a bad way at all; I'm glad you guys got a laugh from my setup :') I'll definitely take a look at those links when able. Anything to improve productivity is a great improvement.

If you're after productivity, don't spend time on word-pad anymore. You're building bad habits. Those text editors are made to make your life easier (and nicer) but they have a bit of a learning curve. I mean, you can totally use it like word pad out of the box, but you'll need a bit of time to discover their true potential. I mean... just having text highlight and multiple editors in the same window (both out of the box) is a big improvement in quality of life :D.

Album 3vSIGbd will appear when post is submitted

This is something that I think you're familiar with but in VsCode. I try to mix Spectra with some other mods (KSPRC mostly, a bit more in depth than what you do). Everything is perfect, but an issue with the sun. Maybe you know what it is?

Album OCiwM3r will appear when post is submitted

Anyways, if you want to give a go to VsCode or Sublime and feel a bit lost, feel free to ask. I've spend a pretty shameful amount of time to tweak them both to know how to help :)