[1.12.3] Spectra Visual Compilation 1.6.2 "Horizons" (26th July 2022)

HafCoJoe

4 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Yeah, my guess is its something w/ scatterer. On another note though I usually play without scatterer in my games since I cherish my framerate :P Its a gorgeous mod but when building with 600+ parts it can get slow

Oops, I forgot about framerate. I should probably just get rid of Scatterer, seeing as I do eventually want to create one or more absurd mega-zeppelins. 

4 hours ago, Henninggg said:

I'm not sure the KSPRC planet textures are working for me. I noticed that when I download KSPRC on it's own Minmus looks very detailed but with Spectra it looks like stock.

Can you compare it to the minmus in the preview video?

1 hour ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Can you compare it to the minmus in the preview video?

My Minmus looks like the one in the screenshots but when I installed KSPRC from the original download together with AVP it looked way more crisp. I'm 99% sure it's because of KSPRC and not AVP.

Edited by Henninggg

1 hour ago, Henninggg said:

My Minmus looks like the one in the screenshots but when I installed KSPRC from the original download together with AVP it looked way more crisp. I'm 99% sure it's because of KSPRC and not AVP.

From what I understand it could be that AVP install has you keep everything except the city lights and atmosphere folder within the KSPRC install for AVP. Spectra just uses the Terrain folder from what a preliminary look tells me. I actually like KSPRC with Spectra, and I even find when I try KSPRC with AVP I get another celestial body from KSPRC installed the way they say.

3 hours ago, KaitoSSB said:

From what I understand it could be that AVP install has you keep everything except the city lights and atmosphere folder within the KSPRC install for AVP. Spectra just uses the Terrain folder from what a preliminary look tells me. I actually like KSPRC with Spectra, and I even find when I try KSPRC with AVP I get another celestial body from KSPRC installed the way they say.

The planets look way more detailed in the original KSPRC. When used with AVP you only use the terrain and planet textures. It will give you the "Sorlon" celestial body but you can easily remove it from the KSPRC.cfg file.

9 minutes ago, Henninggg said:

The planets look way more detailed in the original KSPRC. When used with AVP you only use the terrain and planet textures. It will give you the "Sorlon" celestial body but you can easily remove it from the KSPRC.cfg file.

I think I remember what it is. AVP is using the KSPRC default textures for planets, and, if I understand the OP post, Spectra uses a custom config for the KSPRC textures, not too sure but that could be the difference you are seeing when comparing AVP and Spectra with KSPRC textures. So the textures for KSPRC within Spectra will match the trailer video, but look different from when using KSPRC with AVP.

1 minute ago, KaitoSSB said:

I think I remember what it is. AVP is using the KSPRC default textures for planets, and, if I understand the OP post, Spectra uses a custom config for the KSPRC textures, not too sure but that could be the difference you are seeing when comparing AVP and Spectra with KSPRC textures. So the textures for KSPRC within Spectra will match the trailer video, but look different from when using KSPRC with AVP.

Yeah, I compared the Spectra planet texture config to the KSPRC one and Spectra does use KSPRC planet texture but the config doesn't look the same. I'm not experienced enough with Kopernicus stuff to figure out what difference it makes though.

On 4/19/2017 at 10:26 AM, Avera9eJoe said:

Proot's Kopernicus surface textures are being used in Spectra with a custom config I made to remove tiling and dim down their intensity since Spectra uses less intense planet textures

This would be what changes Spectra implemented. I assume you could edit the config within Spectra to make the KSPRC textures like what you'd experience in AVP/KSPRC, but I have no experience with configs myself.

On 3/30/2019 at 3:34 PM, Henninggg said:

Yeah, I compared the Spectra planet texture config to the KSPRC one and Spectra does use KSPRC planet texture but the config doesn't look the same. I'm not experienced enough with Kopernicus stuff to figure out what difference it makes though.

You've got it right- Both KSPRC and Spectra use a parent mod called Kopernicus to change the terrain textures. That config you looked at is the Kopernicus terrain config. In a nutshell, Spectra uses Proot's terrain textures with a custom terrain config. KSPRC has beautiful terrain textures (the best I've ever seen in KSP), but it's configs had some problems with tiling. I made my own custom terrain config that fixed a lot of it's problems. You could describe Spectra as more or less a bundle of custom configs and textures. :)

On 3/30/2019 at 3:39 PM, KaitoSSB said:

This would be what changes Spectra implemented. I assume you could edit the config within Spectra to make the KSPRC textures like what you'd experience in AVP/KSPRC, but I have no experience with configs myself.

Yes you can change the textures, but it takes a lot of trial and error since there isn't any in-game GUI to quickly see changes. It took me about half a year worth of guess and check and work to get all the planets done. Between all the parent mods Spectra itself had been in work for about 3 years before it's initial "release". :)

Edited by Avera9eJoe

1 hour ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Exactly- The terrain is being changed by a parent mod called Kopernicus, which both KSPRC and Spectra use. That config you looked at is the Kopernicus terrain config. In a nutshell, Spectra is using Proot's terrain textures, with an improved settings config. KSPRC has beautiful terrain textures (the best I've ever seen in KSP), but it had some problems with tiling. I made my own custom terrain config that fixed a lot of it's problems. Thus KSPRC textures and custom configs. Spectra is more or less a bundle of custom configs and textures. :)

Yes you can change the textures, but it takes a lot of trial and error since there isn't any in-game GUI to quickly see changes. It took me about half a year worth of guess and check and work to get all the planets done. Between all the parent mods Spectra itself had been in work for about 3 years before it's initial "release". :)

But are you sure everything is working right? Because I just installed the original KSPRC folder together with Spectra, removed the Spectra terrain config and removed everything that is not terrain from KSPRC. It really looks like KSPRC is not working AT ALL in Spectra screenshots nor in my install without separately downloading KSPRC.

Look at my results in the screenshots (Spectra + KSPRC): https://imgur.com/a/Luw59El

Compare it to the official Spectra screenshots or Spectra in game.

It's very good that you fixed the tiling problems even though I don't really understand exactly what it means but it looks to me like the improved configs completely breaks KSPRC. Can you confirm if it's working as intended or not by looking at my screenshots?

Edited by Henninggg

1 hour ago, Henninggg said:

But are you sure everything is working right? Because I just installed the original KSPRC folder together with Spectra, removed the Spectra terrain config and removed everything that is not terrain from KSPRC. It really looks like KSPRC is not working AT ALL in Spectra screenshots nor in my install without separately downloading KSPRC.

Look at my results in the screenshots (Spectra + KSPRC): https://imgur.com/a/Luw59El

Compare it to the official Spectra screenshots or Spectra in game.

It's very good that you fixed the tiling problems even though I don't really understand exactly what it means but it looks to me like the improved configs completely breaks KSPRC. Can you confirm if it's working as intended or not by looking at my screenshots?

Ooohhh I thought you were referring to the surface terrain textures like sand vs rock vs grass. What you are referring to are the "Orbital" or "Scaled Space" textures. I'm not using KSPRC's scaled space textures because I disliked how gritty they were. Endraxial was an old user who made some custom 8k remakes of the planets, and she handed them down when she left. Both @Galileo and I use them in SVE and Spectra :)

this said, you can use the original textures if you want by locating them in KSPRC (I think they're inside TextureReplacer in the KSPRC download), and using the to replace the Spectra textures in GameData/Spectra/Textures/Planets (I think that's the filepath but you might need to search. It'll have a bunch of same named textures).

Edited by Avera9eJoe

30 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Ooohhh I thought you were referring to the surface terrain textures like sand vs rock vs grass. Those are the orbital textures. I'm not using KSPRC's orbital textures because I disliked how gritty they were. Endraxial was an old user who made some custom 8k remakes of the planets, and she entrusted the textures to me when she left. I'm using those in Spectra. @Galileo uses them in SVE too :)

Oh ok makes sense now. I thought of both the surface and orbital textures as one thing because KSPRC comes with both of them. Good it's working as intended :)

Thanks for the help

But for some reason when using the full KSPRC config instead of the Spectra version the Kerbal Space Center was very bright and vibrant. With Spectra it looks quite a bit darker. If Spectra uses KSPRC surface textures why is that? Did you change anything specific about the KSC in the config?

Not really a problem, just curious :)

20 minutes ago, Henninggg said:

Oh ok makes sense now. I thought of both the surface and orbital textures as one thing because KSPRC comes with both of them. Good it's working as intended :)

Thanks for the help

But for some reason when using the full KSPRC config instead of the Spectra version the Kerbal Space Center was very bright and vibrant. With Spectra it looks quite a bit darker. If Spectra uses KSPRC surface textures why is that? Did you change anything specific about the KSC in the config?

Not really a problem, just curious :)

Hm... I did make a small change to the grass color of the KSC to better match the textures. Is that it?

4 hours ago, Henninggg said:

I don't think it's only that, looks like the ground has a different texture or something.

Oh, I forgot something about KSPRC too. It does coloring of the terrain a bit differently than stock, by taking the orbital texture and using those colors directly. I reverted back to the original style because it makes the biome transitions look way better. You'll notice in KSPRC the shoreline looks... Pixel-y :P

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PartiallyBurnt said:

Now that 1.7 is out, when should we expect the update? And does the mod even need to update to 1.7?

Hey! Spectra shouldn't need any updates, its the parent mods that we're waiting on. EVE for atmospheres/clouds, Kopernicus for Terrain/planets, TextureReplacer for skybox.

22 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Hey! Spectra shouldn't need any updates, its the parent mods that we're waiting on. EVE for atmospheres/clouds, Kopernicus for Terrain/planets, TextureReplacer for skybox.

But what about the scatterer configs that according to the main thread are not updated yet?

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Rover 6428 said:

looks awesome. Is this only for the stock game or does it have support for planet packs?

Only for the stock game I'm afraid, it would take a lot of effort to add it for planet packs :(

• 2 weeks later...

Laythe terrain is pitch black:

screenshot71.png

This is full daylight too. My GameData folder:

unknown.png

As far as I know, this issue is limited to Laythe (haven't been to many other places yet). No clue how to fix, Spectra is the only planet-altering mod I have and all the files are in place. (Except TR but it doesn't affect planets, right?)

Edited by PartiallyBurnt

1 minute ago, Sokol_323 said:

I can't understand: OPM and Spectra work together? I can't get it to start...

No, OPM won't work with Spectra. I don't mean like it won't literally work,  you just won't get any of the clouds and stuff for the OPM planets.