[1.12.3] Spectra Visual Compilation 1.6.2 "Horizons" (26th July 2022)

HafCoJoe

2 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

@Avera9eJoe I see from the date, that v1.2.3 was most likely released for and compatable with 1.7.+, then since it also works in 1.8.1 (per the SD listing), I was just wondering if you knew for sure how far back in KSP versions that it may be backward compatable with?

And I'm also assuming that 1.2.4 is only 1.8.1 compatable due to Kopernicus changes in 1.8.1-1? (ie shaders & stuff)?

I'm not sure how far back it should work but it should go at least to 1.5. The EVE architecture changed at one point and it doesn't work before then, but it's almost universal. Also to the contrary, 1.2.4 should still be fully backwards compatible. ;)

Edited by Avera9eJoe

CKAN Install with the new version indicates that the configs for EVE available through CKAN are not compatible. This makes sense, as they'd need to be overwritten by this one. However, it required the complete removal of Scatterer as well. I'm pretty sure that's NOT correct. While I have no problem doing a manual download and install of Scatterer, I do find it curious that the new CKAN metadata won't allow us to install a mod you recommend be run along side this. I get it would need to overwrite the default Scatterer configs, but what I think might be happening is that Scatterer and the default configs are hardwired to each other on CKAN... meaning if you remove one, you remove them both.

Not something for the author to fix - this is informational for other users of the mod. Of course, I could be screwing something up completely as well, so if that's the case, please, by all means, tell me how to fix myself. ;)

10 minutes ago, Shadriss said:

CKAN Install with the new version indicates that the configs for EVE available through CKAN are not compatible. This makes sense, as they'd need to be overwritten by this one. However, it required the complete removal of Scatterer as well. I'm pretty sure that's NOT correct. While I have no problem doing a manual download and install of Scatterer, I do find it curious that the new CKAN metadata won't allow us to install a mod you recommend be run along side this. I get it would need to overwrite the default Scatterer configs, but what I think might be happening is that Scatterer and the default configs are hardwired to each other on CKAN... meaning if you remove one, you remove them both.

Not something for the author to fix - this is informational for other users of the mod. Of course, I could be screwing something up completely as well, so if that's the case, please, by all means, tell me how to fix myself. ;)

Scatterer is not currently updated to 1.8.1 and I had some rather strange bugs when I tried a force install from CKAN. I highly suggest doing a manual installation of it to circumvent any possible issues.

12 hours ago, Shadriss said:

However, it required the complete removal of Scatterer as well. I'm pretty sure that's NOT correct.  I do find it curious that the new CKAN metadata won't allow us to install a mod you recommend be run along side this. I get it would need to overwrite the default Scatterer configs, but what I think might be happening is that Scatterer and the default configs are hardwired to each other on CKAN... meaning if you remove one, you remove them both.

The metadata for CKAN is set up so that Spectra provides Scatterer-config and Scatterer-sunflare. So theoretically it should work that if you select Spectra for installation and at the same time select the default Scatterer config + suflare for removal, the core Scatterer stays installed.

However for some reason Scatterer is automatically removed too, although its dependencies are satisfied. This seems to be a bug in CKAN's dependency resolution.

A workaround for now is to just reinstall Scatterer afterwards. It doesn't complain about any missing dependecies, this shows that the metadata is indeed correct, but the installation process has some issues with the dependency resolution.
I'll try to find out why the client behaves like it does.

Much thanks for the confirmation, both of you.

Not sure if this is related or not, but in my quick test last night (after installing Scatterer manually), I had an odd bug come up I've not seen previous to installing Spectra. I doubt it's caused by it, but since it's only shown up since I installed, I figure I should at least ask: Once loaded in game, any screen click that should be changing scenes (IE- VAB, R and D, etc) are not responding. They highlight, but no clicking type, style, or amount will change the scene. I then tried to exit the game via the menu... and it would not shift to the main menu either. I'm still troubleshooting, but to run parallel with that, has this behavior been seen before in any circumstance? Again, I'd be surprised if it directly related to Spectra, but it is the only change (minus the changes in Scatterer and the EVE configs) I've made.

25 minutes ago, Shadriss said:

Much thanks for the confirmation, both of you.

Not sure if this is related or not, but in my quick test last night (after installing Scatterer manually), I had an odd bug come up I've not seen previous to installing Spectra. I doubt it's caused by it, but since it's only shown up since I installed, I figure I should at least ask: Once loaded in game, any screen click that should be changing scenes (IE- VAB, R and D, etc) are not responding. They highlight, but no clicking type, style, or amount will change the scene. I then tried to exit the game via the menu... and it would not shift to the main menu either. I'm still troubleshooting, but to run parallel with that, has this behavior been seen before in any circumstance? Again, I'd be surprised if it directly related to Spectra, but it is the only change (minus the changes in Scatterer and the EVE configs) I've made.

Huh... changing the Scatterer and EVE configs can have adverse effects. I've heard of a similar bug but it was many versions ago and resolved, so it shouldn't be an issue anymore. Could you remove everything except Scatterer and see if it persists? Or did the bug vanish after you rebooted?

The reboot didn't fix it, though running with only Scatterer did. As in, nothing else was loaded. I'm going through and looking for the interaction that created it. I'll be building around Spectra most likely, so I'll start from there.

Though with 1.9 out now... thanks, Squad! Always updating in the middle of me troubleshooting. ;)

I'll keep you posted.

Update: Though unrelated, I did find out I still had an old version of KSPRC installed... so that shouldn't have been there. That said, having gone through everything, it now somehow works (even with KSPRC installed... which it no longer is). Not sure what the problem was. :shrug:

I do, however, have a question - for a CKAN install, in order to make use of the Scatterer and EVE configs and the Texture stuffs... am I supposed to have moved things around after install, or is MM doing some magic in the background to make it all just work? I checked for a readme in the install folder and saw nothing, but the OP seems to imply there should be some directions of some sort there.

Edited by Shadriss

1 hour ago, Shadriss said:

The reboot didn't fix it, though running with only Scatterer did. As in, nothing else was loaded. I'm going through and looking for the interaction that created it. I'll be building around Spectra most likely, so I'll start from there.

Though with 1.9 out now... thanks, Squad! Always updating in the middle of me troubleshooting. ;)

I'll keep you posted.

Update: Though unrelated, I did find out I still had an old version of KSPRC installed... so that shouldn't have been there. That said, having gone through everything, it now somehow works (even with KSPRC installed... which it no longer is). Not sure what the problem was. :shrug:

I do, however, have a question - for a CKAN install, in order to make use of the Scatterer and EVE configs and the Texture stuffs... am I supposed to have moved things around after install, or is MM doing some magic in the background to make it all just work? I checked for a readme in the install folder and saw nothing, but the OP seems to imply there should be some directions of some sort there.

Did you install Scatterer manually or did you install it through CKAN? I found that Scatterer did not load properly with Spectra when I installed Scatterer from CKAN, but it did work when I installed manually.

As for having to move things around after installing, you shouldn't have to do any of that. CKAN is pretty good at sorting things out.

It was manual, as I indicated I needed to do originally - I hadn't seen the other message about 'forcing' it to reinstall via CKAN at that point, and since it all seems to be working, I'm not gonna mess with it now.

On that note - looks good, by the way. ;)

2 hours ago, Shadriss said:

It was manual, as I indicated I needed to do originally - I hadn't seen the other message about 'forcing' it to reinstall via CKAN at that point, and since it all seems to be working, I'm not gonna mess with it now.

On that note - looks good, by the way. ;)

That is rather strange then :( I'm glad its working though. And thank you for the complement! I'm glad other people enjoy it as much as me :)

On 2/12/2020 at 5:57 AM, Shadriss said:

However, it required the complete removal of Scatterer as well. I'm pretty sure that's NOT correct. While I have no problem doing a manual download and install of Scatterer, I do find it curious that the new CKAN metadata won't allow us to install a mod you recommend be run along side this. I get it would need to overwrite the default Scatterer configs, but what I think might be happening is that Scatterer and the default configs are hardwired to each other on CKAN... meaning if you remove one, you remove them both.

On 2/12/2020 at 6:34 PM, DasSkelett said:

The metadata for CKAN is set up so that Spectra provides Scatterer-config and Scatterer-sunflare. So theoretically it should work that if you select Spectra for installation and at the same time select the default Scatterer config + suflare for removal, the core Scatterer stays installed.

However for some reason Scatterer is automatically removed too, although its dependencies are satisfied. This seems to be a bug in CKAN's dependency resolution.

A workaround for now is to just reinstall Scatterer afterwards. It doesn't complain about any missing dependecies, this shows that the metadata is indeed correct, but the installation process has some issues with the dependency resolution.
I'll try to find out why the client behaves like it does.

Good news! I could figure out what was wrong! It was indeed a bug in the client (or let's say a missing feature :P), you couldn't replace dependencies.
CKAN always removed the dependent mod if you removed the dependencies, regardless of whether a new mod you are also installing provides these dependencies.

I made the installation process a bit smarter, and with the next client release this should work as expected, when selecting Spectra and deselecting the default Scatterer-sunflare + Scatterer-config ,the core Scatterer installed should stay installed.

2 hours ago, DasSkelett said:

Good news! I could figure out what was wrong! It was indeed a bug in the client (or let's say a missing feature :P), you couldn't replace dependencies.
CKAN always removed the dependent mod if you removed the dependencies, regardless of whether a new mod you are also installing provides these dependencies.

I made the installation process a bit smarter, and with the next client release this should work as expected, when selecting Spectra and deselecting the default Scatterer-sunflare + Scatterer-config ,the core Scatterer installed should stay installed.

Awesome!! Spectra and Scatterer have been behaving weird with me when I installed via CKAN but other than that I've been loving how simple it is to install everything. It will forever but me that some of the files were uploaded by non-authors but it isn't honestly much of a concern since it always links to the originals page. For Scatterer though I've just been installing it manually after the fact.

Outstanding. Glad I was able to help you find that issue and get it cleared... Sorta, anyhow.

I just checked to see if I could install Scatterer via CKAN, and still no dice. I don't think Scatterer's metadata recognized Spectra as a providing mod. When attempting to install, it demands that you install a config set. Two options were available, neither of which were Spectra, which was already installed. I've maintained my manual install for now, but at least it recognizes that there is no incompatibility between Scatterer and Spectra now. That's progress! ;)

7 minutes ago, Shadriss said:

When attempting to install, it demands that you install a config set. Two options were available, neither of which were Spectra, which was already installed.

That's actually a deliberate change that we just made, because Spectra does not provide a full config for Scatterer, which was causing the problems people were reporting with Scatterer. Instead, it layers customizations on top of the default config with a ModuleManager patch, so it's necessary to install a full config package as well so Spectra has something to patch. Installing Scatterer-config should fix those issues.

So CKAN Scatterer with the Scatterer Default settings makes all the pain go away. Roger that, and thanks for the clarification.

EDIT: Hello. I'm back. Sorry! Installed Scatterer via CKAN, Default Config as discussed. No sunflares in game, so I'm guessing something else is going off somewhere. I'll be over in the corner with a dunce cap, waiting to be told how I messed this up this time. ;)

Edited by Shadriss

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2019 at 10:32 AM, Cat91 said:

Greetings, and thank you for providing such a great visual pack! It's not really a GPU demanding pack compared to others, but also beautiful, it really took my gameplay to a new level.

However I soon found out that the sun becomes a burning potato without scatterer installed: 

3Zwl54e.png

I'm getting the burning potato, but in a different context. I do have Scatterer, and the solar flares appear correctly in the tracking station view. But when I'm aboard a craft out in space, or even just at the KSC at prelaunch, it looks like this screenshot. Here's my modlist, I'm running 1.8.1 on Windows:

Spoiler

000_ClickThroughBlocker
001_ToolbarControl
AirplanePlus
AnimatedDecouplers
AntennaHelper
AviationLights
B9PartSwitch
CommunityCategoryKit
CommunityResourcePack
CommunityTechTree
CraftManager
CryoEngines
CryoTanks
DeployableEngines
DistantObject
DynamicBatteryStorage
EditorExtensionsRedux
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
filenames.txt
Firespitter
FlexoDocking
HeatControl
JanitorsCloset
KAS
KerbalAtomics
KerbalEngineer
Kerbaltek
KIS
Kopernicus
KSPRC
KXAPI
MarkIVSystem
Mk2Expansion
Mk3Expansion
ModularFlightIntegrator
ModularLaunchPads
NavyFish
NearFutureAeronautics
NearFutureConstruction
NearFutureElectrical
NearFutureExploration
NearFutureLaunchVehicles
NearFutureProps
NearFuturePropulsion
NearFutureSolar
NearFutureSpacecraft
NEBULA
PlanetaryBaseInc
RCSBuildAid
RealPlume
RealPlume-Stock
ReStock
ReStockPlus
scatterer
SmokeScreen
Spectra
Squad
SquadExpansion
StationPartsExpansionRedux
SurfaceLights
TextureReplacer
Trajectories
TriggerTech
TweakScale
UniversalStorage2
VesselMover
WildBlueIndustries
WorldStabilizer
ZeroMiniAVC

24 minutes ago, sturmhauke said:

I'm getting the burning potato, but in a different context. I do have Scatterer, and the solar flares appear correctly in the tracking station view. But when I'm aboard a craft out in space, or even just at the KSC at prelaunch, it looks like this screenshot. Here's my modlist, I'm running 1.8.1 on Windows:

Reveal hidden contents

000_ClickThroughBlocker
001_ToolbarControl
AirplanePlus
AnimatedDecouplers
AntennaHelper
AviationLights
B9PartSwitch
CommunityCategoryKit
CommunityResourcePack
CommunityTechTree
CraftManager
CryoEngines
CryoTanks
DeployableEngines
DistantObject
DynamicBatteryStorage
EditorExtensionsRedux
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
filenames.txt
Firespitter
FlexoDocking
HeatControl
JanitorsCloset
KAS
KerbalAtomics
KerbalEngineer
Kerbaltek
KIS
Kopernicus
KSPRC
KXAPI
MarkIVSystem
Mk2Expansion
Mk3Expansion
ModularFlightIntegrator
ModularLaunchPads
NavyFish
NearFutureAeronautics
NearFutureConstruction
NearFutureElectrical
NearFutureExploration
NearFutureLaunchVehicles
NearFutureProps
NearFuturePropulsion
NearFutureSolar
NearFutureSpacecraft
NEBULA
PlanetaryBaseInc
RCSBuildAid
RealPlume
RealPlume-Stock
ReStock
ReStockPlus
scatterer
SmokeScreen
Spectra
Squad
SquadExpansion
StationPartsExpansionRedux
SurfaceLights
TextureReplacer
Trajectories
TriggerTech
TweakScale
UniversalStorage2
VesselMover
WildBlueIndustries
WorldStabilizer
ZeroMiniAVC

Strange... There should be a subfolder/config file inside Spectra called something related to Sunflare. Could you delete it and see if it goes away?

1 hour ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Strange... There should be a subfolder/config file inside Spectra called something related to Sunflare. Could you delete it and see if it goes away?

I did that and the game went back to the default flare. Next I put the Spectra sun config back and deleted the one in Scatterer, and it was full time burning potato. Then I put everything back, and now it seems to be fine. So I dunno, maybe there was some cache issue.

Anyway, the mod looks great!

16 minutes ago, sturmhauke said:

I did that and the game went back to the default flare. Next I put the Spectra sun config back and deleted the one in Scatterer, and it was full time burning potato. Then I put everything back, and now it seems to be fine. So I dunno, maybe there was some cache issue.

Anyway, the mod looks great!

Huh. Well I'm glad it's working! And thank you for the complement :D

6 hours ago, Arco123 said:

Do you know if I can disable the sunflare and replace it with scatterers and disable the terrain so I can replace it with the stock textures? If so... Downloading!!!

Both are doable!

- To get Stock Terrain simply don't install Kopernicus. If you are using Kopernicus for other features however, go into "GameData\Spectra\Spectra_configs" and delete "Kopernicus_terrain.cfg".

- To get the default Scatterer sunflare (I have a custom scatterer sunflare in Spectra), go into "GameData\Spectra\Spectra_scatterer" and delete the "Sunflares" folder.

Hope this helps, I did my best to make Spectra easy to self-configure since I know many people have different tastes :)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Kev1n8088 said:

So do I have to delete the standard config for EVE and replace it with SPECTRA, or do I keep it?

Don't install the standard configs; the manual download should have instructions in the first folder for what to install it you need more clarification too.