[1.12.3] Spectra Visual Compilation 1.6.2 "Horizons" (26th July 2022)

HafCoJoe

Manually installed Spectra with my KSP 1.11 (first time with Spectra; I've used other EVE-based visual mods in the past), and I've got 2 unexpected observations:

1) No city lights on Kerbin's night side (I assume this isn't an "issue", so much as a matter of personal preference); should there be city lights with Spectra?  If not, I assume I can get the relevant files from a different EVE-based visual pack--yes?  (I personally enjoy seeing the city lights from orbit, but more importantly I use the coastline of the continent east of KSC as a navigational aid when setting up a reentry burn.  And that technique becomes much more challenging when that coastline is invisible.)

2) There appears to be distinct atmospheric 'sky glow' around MINMUS.  (Okay, THAT is Just Wrong(tm), and definitely not merely a matter of personal preference.)  This is visible in-mission, in Map View, and via the Tracking Station.

Install was done manually, and I am using Scatterer.   Any troubleshooting tips/fixes greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, Srpadget said:

Manually installed Spectra with my KSP 1.11 (first time with Spectra; I've used other EVE-based visual mods in the past), and I've got 2 unexpected observations:

1) No city lights on Kerbin's night side (I assume this isn't an "issue", so much as a matter of personal preference); should there be city lights with Spectra?  If not, I assume I can get the relevant files from a different EVE-based visual pack--yes?  (I personally enjoy seeing the city lights from orbit, but more importantly I use the coastline of the continent east of KSC as a navigational aid when setting up a reentry burn.  And that technique becomes much more challenging when that coastline is invisible.)

2) There appears to be distinct atmospheric 'sky glow' around MINMUS.  (Okay, THAT is Just Wrong(tm), and definitely not merely a matter of personal preference.)  This is visible in-mission, in Map View, and via the Tracking Station.

Install was done manually, and I am using Scatterer.   Any troubleshooting tips/fixes greatly appreciated.

Hey there! Did you install via CKAN? There are city lights, but it's only available through CKAN since it's a custom addon I made that draws from KSPRC (an older now defunct visual pack), and I don't have the license to include it in my own download. It's called 'KSPRC City Lights'.

As for Minmus, does it look like Minmus in the trailer video? Spectra adds a glow to every body, not just Minmus. You can see Pol for reference too since it's very similar to Minmus, just with orange-yellow instead of blue-white. That characteristic glow is actually what Spectra gets the name *'spectra'* from :) If you're not a fan you might have to try a different visual mod, such as SVE or Astronomers.

1 hour ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Hey there! Did you install via CKAN? There are city lights, but it's only available through CKAN since it's a custom addon I made that draws from KSPRC (an older now defunct visual pack), and I don't have the license to include it in my own download. It's called 'KSPRC City Lights'.

No, I installed from your download.  I hardly ever use CKAN for anything these days.  Thanks for the tip, apparently I'll have to install the latest CKAN and look for your lights.

As for Minmus, does it look like Minmus in the trailer video? Spectra adds a glow to every body, not just Minmus. You can see Pol for reference too since it's very similar to Minmus, just with orange-yellow instead of blue-white. That characteristic glow is actually what Spectra gets the name *'spectra'* from :) If you're not a fan you might have to try a different visual mod, such as SVE or Astronomers.

No, it looks from orbit like it has a deep (for Minmus anyway) minty-green visible atmosphere:

https://imgur.com/CzCLP1Lhttps://imgur.com/CzCLP1L

(Hoping I successfully pasted a screenshot into this...  I haven't done that for a year or two and imgur appears to have changed significantly since the last time I did this...)

...several further attempts just made it worse.  You'll have to click the imgur link, I guess; apologies from this old guy for my net-forum incompetence....

Edited by Srpadget
repeatedly trying and failing to insert a screenshot via imgur

On 1/30/2021 at 5:18 PM, Srpadget said:

No, I installed from your download.  I hardly ever use CKAN for anything these days.  Thanks for the tip, apparently I'll have to install the latest CKAN and look for your lights.

No, it looks from orbit like it has a deep (for Minmus anyway) minty-green visible atmosphere:

https://imgur.com/CzCLP1Lhttps://imgur.com/CzCLP1L

(Hoping I successfully pasted a screenshot into this...  I haven't done that for a year or two and imgur appears to have changed significantly since the last time I did this...)

...several further attempts just made it worse.  You'll have to click the imgur link, I guess; apologies from this old guy for my net-forum incompetence....

All good lol, and it sounds like you're an old forum vet too! I'm not a big fan of the changes to embeds they've had recently :/

I'm viewing from mobile so the image is small, but that doesn't looked bugged. Have you looked at Pol yet?

16 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

All good lol, and it sounds like you're an old forum vet too! I'm not a big fan of the changes to embeds they've had recently :/

I'm viewing from mobile so the image is small, but that doesn't looked bugged. Have you looked at Pol yet?

Pol also looks like it's got an atmosphere--though it's yellow/orange/brown rather than minty-dessert green.

Looking around other vacuum worlds, I think I might see a fainter version around Ike; I definitely see the same kind of glow (albeit colored appropriate to each world) around Moho and Eeloo.

Bop and Gilly, though, look like rocks surrounded by hard vacuum, as I'd expect all the no-atmosphere worlds to look.

I'm guessing this is intended behavior, but it's not for me.  I suspect I'll have to go back to individually installing SVE + TextureReplacer + I don't remember what-all else.  Alas--I was really enjoying the idea of getting all my visual-beautification needs met via "one-stop shopping".  (And your sunsets are GLORIOUS...!)

52 minutes ago, Srpadget said:

Pol also looks like it's got an atmosphere--though it's yellow/orange/brown rather than minty-dessert green.

Looking around other vacuum worlds, I think I might see a fainter version around Ike; I definitely see the same kind of glow (albeit colored appropriate to each world) around Moho and Eeloo.

Bop and Gilly, though, look like rocks surrounded by hard vacuum, as I'd expect all the no-atmosphere worlds to look.

I'm guessing this is intended behavior, but it's not for me.  I suspect I'll have to go back to individually installing SVE + TextureReplacer + I don't remember what-all else.  Alas--I was really enjoying the idea of getting all my visual-beautification needs met via "one-stop shopping".  (And your sunsets are GLORIOUS...!)

Ha! Thank you for the compliment on my sunsets :) I might have steps you can take to disable the glow yourself if you want? You would go into my atmosphere/cloud config and manually delete the lines that add the glow for the planets you don't want it. You'd only have to do it once and back the file up, than paste it into Spectra each time KSP updates.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

On 2/1/2021 at 9:04 PM, Avera9eJoe said:

Ha! Thank you for the compliment on my sunsets :) I might have steps you can take to disable the glow yourself if you want? You would go into my atmosphere/cloud config and manually delete the lines that add the glow for the planets you don't want it. You'd only have to do it once and back the file up, than paste it into Spectra each time KSP updates.

Oooh, that might work for me!  Let me know what to do, and I'll try it out.   Thanks muchly!

4 hours ago, Rocketry101 said:

..... Hello? I said where are my clouds!

Have you forced 1.10/1.11 compatibility in CKAN? it could be that it isn't actually installing EVE because its not yet updated for 1.11.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

4 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Have you forced 1.10/1.11 compatibility in CKAN? it could be that it isn't actually installing EVE because its not yet updated for 1.11.

EVE is updated now.  Also, FYI, the rainbow effect is on the start screen even with the updated EVE.  

23 minutes ago, Rocketry101 said:

i have eve redux. Do i need regular eve? also it says i have the version with 1.11. I know it did install eve cuz it is in my game data.

Ooh my mistake; I didn't see that you also have OPM-VO installed. Spectra is sadly not compatible with OPM-VO, or any other mods that change the layout of the kerbal solar system :( I don't use any extra planet mods, and so I don't have the drive to relearn how to make config files that change depending on different planets. I would most likely have to update the other planets with each release, too.

o

2 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Ooh my mistake; I didn't see that you also have OPM-VO installed. Spectra is sadly not compatible with OPM-VO, or any other mods that change the layout of the kerbal solar system :( I don't use any extra planet mods, and so I don't have the drive to relearn how to make config files that change depending on different planets. I would most likely have to update the other planets with each release, too.

thanks so much guess this means i get to keep extrasolar and gep. Sorry bye opm if i dont get opm visuals your going opm. also check out my kerbalx link below (lol like ad). wait NOOOOO ANOTHER OUR OF WAITING FOR KSP TO LOAD. (yeah hundreds o mods)

Edited by Rocketry101
added advertesment to my kx

21 hours ago, Srpadget said:

Oooh, that might work for me!  Let me know what to do, and I'll try it out.   Thanks muchly!

I thought it would be easier to record a little blurb to explain rather than type it all out- I hope this helps!

(Video might still be processing, it should be finished in a few minutes)

Edited by Avera9eJoe

I thought it would be easier to record a little blurb to explain rather than type it all out- I hope this helps!

(Video might still be processing, it should be finished in a few minutes)

You act like you are not the creator of spectra lol 

@Avera9eJoe you have mods so check out my kerbalx I hope you can find somthing good that I made! ;)  Also I would go check and see if spectra working but um I am at my moms rn and my pc is at my dads * yes parents are divorced *

Edited by Rocketry101

4 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Yeah this is being looked at for the next release of Spectra. Know that it only effects the main menu.

Just came back to KSP and Spectra after the last SN9-testflight... :wink:

At first I also had the rainbow clouds on the start screen but it vanished after I installed Kopernicus (Bleeding Edge). Maybe try that. I am on KSP 1.11.1 and use EVE Redux in case that's of interest.

wDC07TP.jpg

Edited by hoover2701

42 minutes ago, hoover2701 said:

At first I also had the rainbow clouds on the start screen but it vanished after I installed Kopernicus (Bleeding Edge).

Can confirm.  I had the rainbow clouds (confirmed over several runs), and the only thing I did was install Kopernicus Bleeding Edge (release 76), and the rainbow clouds disappeared.

22 minutes ago, Nikolai said:

Can confirm.  I had the rainbow clouds (confirmed over several runs), and the only thing I did was install Kopernicus Bleeding Edge (release 76), and the rainbow clouds disappeared.

This is interestng.  As far as I know, we don't touch clouds except to fix some stock lighting bugs that should be unrelated.  Maybe one of them interacts in some way to produce the rainbow effect?

Curious.  Certainly a valid solution, even if unintended.  Just installing Kopernicus will really not hurt performance and leave you with a stock system, so it's a valid option.

Edited by R-T-B

6 hours ago, Nikolai said:

That's... odd. No explanation here but that's certainly good to know. @blackrack have you any thoughts? It seems as though installing Kopernicus Bleeding Edge fixes the rainbow main menu.

Edited by Avera9eJoe