[1.12.3] Spectra Visual Compilation 1.6.2 "Horizons" (26th July 2022)

HafCoJoe

1 hour ago, Ourosaki said:

Hi ! I want to test your mods, but is Kopernicus really mandatory ? Because I can't find a updated version for KSP 1.7.2 ...

Kopernicus is not mandatory but it does account for a lot of surface features. You would still get clouds and planet glow through EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements, but the terrain textures won't change since Kopernicus controls that.

26 minutes ago, Ourosaki said:

That's why I see cloud mergin into the mountains when I play :/. But thanks for the advice, i'll wait Kopernicus's gonna be released for 1.7.2 :)

Hm? I don't think I have any clouds going through mountains in Spectra.

4 hours ago, Ourosaki said:

I've just got some clouds that we're inside the mountains. But I reload the game I don't have it anymore :)

Clouds going through mountains would be caused exclusively by EVE, though. Kopernicus would have no effect on that.

On 6/30/2019 at 1:49 PM, Korb Biakustra said:

I see that Scatterer is recommended for the pack, but unfortunately it seems to cause glitches in my case: Kerbin is very dark with a yellowish tint from space, and totally black from the ground:

@Korb Biakustra @Avera9eJoe I was having the same issue on Linux, both on 1.6.1 and 1.7.1, using the latest version of Spectra (1.2.2 from CKAN). After looking into the logs, I turned out to be caused by some assets not being loaded by Scatterer:

[LOG 15:11:56.893] [Scatterer] Atmosphere config found for: Kerbin
[LOG 15:11:56.895] [Scatterer] no inscatter.raw or inscatter.half file found for Kerbin
[LOG 15:11:56.896] [Scatterer] no transmittance.raw or transmittance.half file found for Kerbin

It turns out there is a small typo in the bundled Scatterer config for the Kerbin atmosphere. In the file "Spectra/Spectra_scatterer/Planets/Kerbin/atmo.cfg" in GameData, the "assetPath" is incorrect.

Where it says:

assetPath = Spectra/Spectra_Scatterer/Planets/Kerbin/Atmo

It should be as follows:

assetPath = Spectra/Spectra_scatterer/Planets/Kerbin/Atmo

At least in the latest version of Spectra, this is also the case for the Eve and Laythe config files, as well as in "Spectra/Spectra_scatterer/Sunflares/Phi/Sun.cfg", for the sunflares. This wouldn't cause any issues on Windows or (most) macOS installs as their filesystems are case-insensitive, which is why this only pops up on Linux systems.

1 hour ago, polarfire said:

@Korb Biakustra @Avera9eJoe I was having the same issue on Linux, both on 1.6.1 and 1.7.1, using the latest version of Spectra (1.2.2 from CKAN). After looking into the logs, I turned out to be caused by some assets not being loaded by Scatterer:

[LOG 15:11:56.893] [Scatterer] Atmosphere config found for: Kerbin
[LOG 15:11:56.895] [Scatterer] no inscatter.raw or inscatter.half file found for Kerbin
[LOG 15:11:56.896] [Scatterer] no transmittance.raw or transmittance.half file found for Kerbin

It turns out there is a small typo in the bundled Scatterer config for the Kerbin atmosphere. In the file "Spectra/Spectra_scatterer/Planets/Kerbin/atmo.cfg" in GameData, the "assetPath" is incorrect.

Where it says:

assetPath = Spectra/Spectra_Scatterer/Planets/Kerbin/Atmo

It should be as follows:

assetPath = Spectra/Spectra_scatterer/Planets/Kerbin/Atmo

At least in the latest version of Spectra, this is also the case for the Eve and Laythe config files, as well as in "Spectra/Spectra_scatterer/Sunflares/Phi/Sun.cfg", for the sunflares. This wouldn't cause any issues on Windows or (most) macOS installs as their filesystems are case-insensitive, which is why this only pops up on Linux systems.

Woah, thank you for finding that. I'll see about pushing an update as soon as I can.

On 7/8/2019 at 9:03 AM, russ0133 said:

Do I need EVE default configs (BoulderCo) with this?

Nope, the Default EVE configs are a cloudpack themselves, adding them too would create some problems. All you need is the EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements folder and ModuleManager.

v1.73 

Following the full Spectra install via CKAN plus the optional add-ons yields a moon that looks like grey corduroy pant material for the moon when you're in the "close above moon" area.

1 hour ago, jpinard said:

v1.73 

Following the full Spectra install via CKAN plus the optional add-ons yields a moon that looks like grey corduroy pant material for the moon when you're in the "close above moon" area.

I believe that Avera9eJoe is aware of this and there even may be an issue on github about it.  If I recall correctly, at some point he might try to figure it out but for now, we just live with it.  Or the other option is to not use the KSPRC textures and just use stock.  Spectra works without it just fine.  And kopernicus too if you don't want to deal with the lag issues.

Edited by Joker58th

1 hour ago, jpinard said:

v1.73 

What OS are you using and are you using any arguments like dx11?

Just now, Joker58th said:

I believe that Avera9eJoe is aware of this and there even may be an issue on github about it.  If I recall correctly, at some point he might try to figure it out but for now, we just live with it.  Or the other option is to not use the KSPRC textures and just use stock.  Spectra works fine without it just fine.  And kopernicus too if you don't want to deal with the lag issues.

I don't use GitHub but you are correct that I'm aware of this and looking for a solution. It's something to do with how KSPRC's textures/UV maps work, though reloading your game seems to fix it most of the time. It's dodgy, so it's difficult to figure out exactly what causes it.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

5 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

I don't use GitHub but you are correct that I'm aware of this and looking for a solution. 

Oh whoops!  My bad.  It must have been on this forum then.  :P

7 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

It's something to do with how KSPRC's textures/UV maps work, though reloading your game seems to fix it most of the time. It's dodgy, so it's difficult to figure out exactly what causes it.

Interesting.  I was thinking it was all the time from what I have experienced but I will keep a watch out the next time I use kopernicus.

Question: Any chance for some city lights? :D

4 hours ago, Joker58th said:

Oh whoops!  My bad.  It must have been on this forum then.  :P

Interesting.  I was thinking it was all the time from what I have experienced but I will keep a watch out the next time I use kopernicus.

Question: Any chance for some city lights? :D

Yeah! I'm not a huge fan of city lights myself, but you can add them custom from KSPRC without too much difficulty. Download the most recent KSPRC and copy the city lights folder from there to the Sam filepath in your Spectra install.

40 minutes ago, KSPrynk said:

@Avera9eJoe, Poodmund noted in the latest release of OPM that Kopernicus 1.7.3 has a new OnDemand functionality that "intelligently handles memory usage with respect to textures...."  This sounds like a godsend for RAM-limited folks.  Are you going to take a crack at it?

Hm... Do you know if that's a built in function, or does it require mod makers to set it up?

@Avera9eJoe the issue with the moire bodies may be due to odd texture sizes. Texture need to be multiples of 4 for dds, and also need to be a 2:1 ratio (width:height). If that’s not the issue, there is a problem elsewhere that I’m unsure of (I don’t use KSPRC), but since no one has posted even a screenshot, I have no idea how anyone expects to troubleshoot this. 

13 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Hm... Do you know if that's a built in function, or does it require mod makers to set it up?

It requires you to set it up. Since you depend on KSPRC, the set up will be a bit more complicated. You’ll need to delete nodes and add new ones via MM.

13 hours ago, KSPrynk said:

@Avera9eJoe, Poodmund noted in the latest release of OPM that Kopernicus 1.7.3 has a new OnDemand functionality that "intelligently handles memory usage with respect to textures...."  This sounds like a godsend for RAM-limited folks.  Are you going to take a crack at it?

This has actually been in Kopernicus and OPM for ages now. The code was just rewritten in Kopernicus to be more efficient and simple that forced planet modders to add a new cfg node to the bodies cfg. You won’t see major decrease in ram usage, or performance, if anything at all. It is just replacement for useOnDemand = True, which OPM has used for a long time. The greatest “god send” for ram limited people is launching in dx11 or OpenGL or any other launch option besides dx9.

if you mean for EVE textures, unfortunately it does not use in demand loading and cannot unless the dev decides to add that.

Edited by Galileo

7 hours ago, KSPrynk said:

@Avera9eJoe, Poodmund noted in the latest release of OPM that Kopernicus 1.7.3 has a new OnDemand functionality...

Just to reiterate, the functionality was already in Kopernicus and being used by OPM but the way in which it is implemented config side has changed slightly which required the update.

Hey man, just wanted to let ya know this is a really great looking mod. Really like the artistic style and aesthetic of what I see so far. I am on my potatoe laptop atm, started lagging pretty bad , can't wait till my real game rig is fixed so I can explore more , awesome mod though!!! Thanks for making it. Looking forward to see how this evolves. Cheers! 

10 hours ago, SpaceCowboy330 said:

Hey man, just wanted to let ya know this is a really great looking mod. Really like the artistic style and aesthetic of what I see so far. I am on my potatoe laptop atm, started lagging pretty bad , can't wait till my real game rig is fixed so I can explore more , awesome mod though!!! Thanks for making it. Looking forward to see how this evolves. Cheers! 

Thank you space cowboy! Nice name, too. It should be comforting to know that I've done my absolute best to optimize this mod so once you're on your main rig you should be able to squeeze out a lot of frames :)

• 2 weeks later...

I’m really enjoying this mod! By far this is probably one of the best visual mods I’ve used of it’s type.

However, I am getting some visual issues when I use OpenGL, DirectX9, or DirectX11. The errors I could see were most noticeable at Kerbin, especially by the KSC, where the grass would have these weird lines across them, and also on Eve’s atmosphere as seen from space. These issues only appear when I force OpenGL dx11 or dx9. Playing ksp normally will cause the glitch to go away.

This glitch was mentioned on this forum before back in 2017, but the issue was resolved by switching from DX11 to DX9, which did not fix it for me. I can live without opengl, I was wondering if this can be fixed in any way so that I’ll be able to play with OpenGL. Thanks!

As I’m also away from my computer till Sunday I can’t attach any pictures to show the glitch on my own game, but I did attach a picture from the previous user who reported the same visual glitch back in 2017.

bfC5WwK_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

I'm having a huge performance drop with this mod when I'm landing on Duna (only one I've tested). Everything's running all fine and smooth but at Duna around 2 km height the fps starts dropping all the way to somewhere below 10 fps, which pretty much makes it unplayable... Launching from SC, orbiting, re-entry back to Kerbin all works fine - fps good all the way. At Duna something strange happens...?

Anyone else having this issue? Any ways to fix this?

5 hours ago, Neganix said:

I'm having a huge performance drop with this mod when I'm landing on Duna (only one I've tested). Everything's running all fine and smooth but at Duna around 2 km height the fps starts dropping all the way to somewhere below 10 fps, which pretty much makes it unplayable... Launching from SC, orbiting, re-entry back to Kerbin all works fine - fps good all the way. At Duna something strange happens...?

Anyone else having this issue? Any ways to fix this?

There is a Kopernicus issue that causes this.  I have the same problem on the Mun.  There is much discussion on the Kopernicus thread as well as some github issues.  My personal work around for now since I don't use any planet packs is to remove Kopernicus/MFI and do without the KSPRC textures.  Or disabling Terrain Scatters in the graphics settings (restart game) also helps.  Here are the links to the forum and github for reference.

https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/issues