[1.12.3] Spectra Visual Compilation 1.6.2 "Horizons" (26th July 2022)

HafCoJoe

Hello @Demos Fobos, and welcome to the forum!  :)

11 hours ago, Demos Fobos said:

I, too, had rainbow clouds on the menu. In my opinion this is because of Kopernicus. Delivered [Link snipped by moderator] version and it worked.

We're sorry, but we've had to remove the download link due to not complying with the add-on posting rules.

Details here, since it happened just a little while ago in this very thread:

We understand that you meant well, and we're sorry that we had to remove it.  Unfortunately, though for various reasons, there are rules about posting links to mod downloads (see add-on posting link above), and this doesn't meet them.  We realize it's a hassle, but unfortunately it's how things have to be.

Thank you for your understanding, and again, welcome aboard!  :)

On 5/28/2020 at 8:59 PM, Demos Fobos said:

I, too, had rainbow clouds on the menu. In my opinion this is because of Kopernicus. Delivered [Link snipped by moderator] version and it worked.

I get this bug and I don't use Kopernicus at all, and can't because I am running the latest version of KSP. Has nothing to do with it.

EDIT: Just saw this might be fixed in 1.3.3, I'll let you know in a few minutes.

EDIT2: Yup, that fixed the rainbow issue for me. :)

Edited by MechBFP

@Avera9eJoeHello,author.
I have encountered some problems when using the mod. When looking at the planet in orbit, the effect displayed is slightly different from different angles. As shown in the picture below, looking at different angles seems to beautify Not completely covered on the surface.

GPB7s0A.pngtdjB01R.pnggbUXPsW.png

Please pay attention to those places in the upper left corner.

6 minutes ago, DY_ZBX said:

@Avera9eJoeHello,author.
I have encountered some problems when using the mod. When looking at the planet in orbit, the effect displayed is slightly different from different angles. As shown in the picture below, looking at different angles seems to beautify Not completely covered on the surface.

Huh, that's rather strange. It looks like the glow is at too low an altitude. I'll have to raise it in the next release.

37 minutes ago, horace said:

Is there a changelog Here?

There is a changelog on Spacedock: https://spacedock.info/mod/1505/Spectra

Strangely, the rainbow clouds in the Main Menu did not disappear for me. They go away using the recompiled Kopernicus-version for 1.9.1 which was mentioned some posts earlier (and is now no longer available). But I get strange terrain flickering on Mun with that installed so I removed it again. However, as the rainbow clouds are only visible in the Main Menu I don't care.

@Avera9eJoe I was expecting you adding this line into the Kerbin atmo.cfg:

flattenScaledSpaceMesh = 0.600000024

This resolves the problem with strange artifacts around Kerbin's higher mountains in the atmosphere. However the atmo.cfg for Kerbin is still the same as in 1.3.2. Maybe you just forgot or there is another reason I am not aware of...

Anyway, thanks for this fantastic mod! I have always used SVE and was really sad when I found out it is no longer actively updated. With SPECTRA I found the perfect "beautification" replacement for SVE. The only things I added are (slightly) more clouds, Pood's Deep Star Skymap and the KSPRC CityLights. Thanks once again for your brilliant work!

9gsP3PY.png

5 hours ago, hoover2701 said:

There is a changelog on Spacedock: https://spacedock.info/mod/1505/Spectra

Strangely, the rainbow clouds in the Main Menu did not disappear for me. They go away using the recompiled Kopernicus-version for 1.9.1 which was mentioned some posts earlier (and is now no longer available). But I get strange terrain flickering on Mun with that installed so I removed it again. However, as the rainbow clouds are only visible in the Main Menu I don't care.

@Avera9eJoe I was expecting you adding this line into the Kerbin atmo.cfg:

This resolves the problem with strange artifacts around Kerbin's higher mountains in the atmosphere. However the atmo.cfg for Kerbin is still the same as in 1.3.2. Maybe you just forgot or there is another reason I am not aware of...

Anyway, thanks for this fantastic mod! I have always used SVE and was really sad when I found out it is no longer actively updated. With SPECTRA I found the perfect "beautification" replacement for SVE. The only things I added are (slightly) more clouds, Pood's Deep Star Skymap and the KSPRC CityLights. Thanks once again for your brilliant work!

9gsP3PY.png

Strange, I haven't noticed any artifacts around the mountains in high atmo. Could you post a picture to show it? If there's a bug I definitely want to get it fixed :/

I'm glad to hear you've been liking Spectra though! And even better I'm happy to know you've been able to modify it to your liking :D I was actually the one who created the KSPRC CityLights config to CKAN because I've always liked his lights but haven't wanted to include it by default. I've been thinking of increasing the number of clouds in Spectra, too. Did you change the cloud textures too or just the configs? I might like to have a look at what you've got...

Edited by Avera9eJoe

1 hour ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Strange, I haven't noticed any artifacts around the mountains in high atmo. Could you post a picture to show it? If there's a bug I definitely want to get it fixed :/

I'm glad to hear you've been liking Spectra though! And even better I'm happy to know you've been able to modify it to your liking :D I was actually the one who created the KSPRC CityLights config to CKAN because I've always liked his lights but haven't wanted to include it by default. I've been thinking of increasing the number of clouds in Spectra, too. Did you change the cloud textures too or just the configs? I might like to have a look at what you've got...

Without the "flattenScaledSpaceMesh = 0.600000024" added to Kerbin's atmo.cfg the horizon sometimes looks weird, especially around the mountains. I marked it in the following screenshot.

3UxDVeI.png

Adding the line removes that effect. So my atmo.cfg looks like this:

dUIT2ON.jpg

In fact you had this conversation in this thread already. blackrack told you abou that...

As for the clouds I didn't touch the configs. I simply changed the kerbinMain.dds file. I can't tell you where I got it from though. At first I thought I had taken it from Stock Visual Enhancements, but that cloud texture was too thick for my tastes, especially around the poles. This is the one I use. Maybe you know where it's from?

110nMnd.png

Here's a comparison between your clouds and "mine":

J2T9rY0.png 2JfDXgX.png

Edited by hoover2701

2 hours ago, hoover2701 said:

Without the "flattenScaledSpaceMesh = 0.600000024" added to Kerbin's atmo.cfg the horizon sometimes looks weird, especially around the mountains. I marked it in the following screenshot.

3UxDVeI.png

Adding the line removes that effect. So my atmo.cfg looks like this:

dUIT2ON.jpg

In fact you had this conversation in this thread already. blackrack told you abou that...

Ah yes I remember this now! This was a while back, and I didn't understand what that setting did or how it would help at the time. I definitely should add that back.

2 hours ago, hoover2701 said:

As for the clouds I didn't touch the configs. I simply changed the kerbinMain.dds file. I can't tell you where I got it from though. At first I thought I had taken it from Stock Visual Enhancements, but that cloud texture was too thick for my tastes, especially around the poles. This is the one I use. Maybe you know where it's from?

110nMnd.png

Here's a comparison between your clouds and "mine":

J2T9rY0.png 2JfDXgX.png

Nice! I thought you might have grabbed a new texture. Hm... I just searched through my archive (I have a rather large collection of defunct EVE cloudpacks that I drew inspiration from for Spectra :P), and I can't seem to find this exact version of the texture anywhere. The hurricane in the top middle looks very reminiscent of KSPRC's though. It's challenging to pin what mod it might be from because most cloud mods use variations of the same source image. Default EVE had it, KSPRC had it's own version of it, SVE used it, and Astronomer's Visual pack used to use it back when Astronomer was still active on the forum and updating the mod himself. I haven't checked what the new version is using but I'd assume its using the same thing.

I notice though that your cloud texture is quite low resolution compared to the one I have in Spectra :/ if you have an 8k copy of that texture, I might want to ask if I can include it in the next release of Spectra.

EDIT: I may have found something similar...

QdYha16.png

This was the texture that I used in a pre-release of Spectra before I made it official. I have a copy of it in 8k, which could work quite well in the current release perhaps. It wouldn't be hard to clear up the poles a bit too.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

No problem :) Sadly 2620x1310 isn't nearly high enough res for me :/ I do have 8k cloud textures though, like the one above that look very similar still. I may mold them together a bit to get a good looking cloud map that still has full res.

6 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

No problem :) Sadly 2620x1310 isn't nearly high enough res for me :/ I do have 8k cloud textures though, like the one above that look very similar still. I may mold them together a bit to get a good looking cloud map that still has full res.

Sorry, that resolution was the IrfanView preview resolution. The download is 8k (8192x4096). My bad...

58 minutes ago, hoover2701 said:

Sorry, that resolution was the IrfanView preview resolution. The download is 8k (8192x4096). My bad...

Oooh nice. Yeah, I'll take a look. I'll let you know if I decide to use it in the next release (If that's ok with you!)

EDIT: I took a look at it and it looks like its a more washed out version of the texture I've been using. I should be able to get a better looking effect by upping the opacity in the editor without changing the texture. More on this soon.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

HI, love this really great work! To everyone who makes us the KSP Mod consumers extremely happy! :D Just one question KSP 1.9.1 you know where the make Kerban look a bit better..this mod doesn't change the stock improvements on any of the planets right? thanks in advance. aaand the clouds around kerban are 8k right?

1 hour ago, horace said:

I think the sunset colours are too thin, i mean the area is too small compared to AVP

I'll have to look at his configs. If I increase the area anymore creates rainbow clouds in the main menu. It could be tied to how low the clouds are, but I'm not certain.

1 hour ago, Dreaded said:

HI, love this really great work! To everyone who makes us the KSP Mod consumers extremely happy! :D Just one question KSP 1.9.1 you know where the make Kerban look a bit better..this mod doesn't change the stock improvements on any of the planets right? thanks in advance. aaand the clouds around kerban are 8k right?

Thank you for the compliment! I don't know what you mean by "you know where the make Kerbin look a bit better.. this mod doesn't change the stock improvements on any planet right?" Do you mean the Ultra terrain shaders? Spectra does not effect the ultra terrain shaders. The clouds are 8k, that is correct :)

On 6/1/2020 at 11:06 PM, DY_ZBX said:

@Avera9eJoeHello,author.

I’m also experiencing this issue.

The atmosphere clips more and more into Minmus as the camera altitude increases. I’ve also experienced it using Astronomers Visual Pack as well so it’s not unique to Spectra. Not sure if it occurs with other planets. I believe it’s due to a setting or bug with EVE though.

On 6/2/2020 at 4:03 PM, hoover2701 said:

Hello Hoover2701,

Could you share on how did you input KSPRC CityLights into Spectra and activated it?  Are you just copying over the CityLights.dll from the original KSPRC package into EVE/plugins folder?  If so, how is it activated because nothing shows up on the dark side of kerbin from orbit.

6 hours ago, THX-1138 said:

Hello Hoover2701,

Could you share on how did you input KSPRC CityLights into Spectra and activated it?  Are you just copying over the CityLights.dll from the original KSPRC package into EVE/plugins folder?  If so, how is it activated because nothing shows up on the dark side of kerbin from orbit.

I simply installed it manually. Put the download into GameData (I use JSGME Mod Enabler for these manually installed mods but it's not necessary, it's just better for record-keeping which mods are installed). The path to KSPRC City Lights should then be ...\GameData\KSPRC\CityLights. In that folder you have a "Textures"-folder and the "cityLights.cfg". The config includes this path to the city lights so if you put it in the EVE-folder it won't work. It has to be in the folder which is written in the config:

EVE_CITY_LIGHTS
{
    OBJECT
    {
        body = Kerbin
        cityLightsMaterial
        {
            _CityDarkOverlayDetailTex = KSPRC/CityLights/Textures/nd5
            _CityLightOverlayDetailTex = KSPRC/CityLights/Textures/empty11
            _CityOverlayTex = KSPRC/CityLights/Textures/kerbinBN

_CityOverlayDetailScale = 100
            _CityOverlayDetailScale
            {
                value = 90
            }
        }
    }
}

Sometimes it's still necessary to activate the City Lights via the in-game EVE-config-tool. My solution worked right out the bat. After doing the above the city lights showed up in game (although not in Map view I believe). OK, hope this helps. Good luck! 

20 hours ago, THX-1138 said:

Hello Hoover2701,

13 hours ago, hoover2701 said:

I simply installed it manually. Put the download into GameData (I use JSGME Mod Enabler for these manually installed mods but it's not necessary, it's just better for record-keeping which mods are installed). The path to KSPRC City Lights should then be ...\GameData\KSPRC\CityLights. In that folder you have a "Textures"-folder and the "cityLights.cfg". The config includes this path to the city lights so if you put it in the EVE-folder it won't work. It has to be in the folder which is written in the config:

Sometimes it's still necessary to activate the City Lights via the in-game EVE-config-tool. My solution worked right out the bat. After doing the above the city lights showed up in game (although not in Map view I believe). OK, hope this helps. Good luck! 

KSPRC city lights is also a mod in CKAN that you can download as an addon for Spectra- I didn't want to include them in the main release but enough people liked them that I revived them from KSPRC and made it into a standalone pack so they can be added to any EVE mod now ;)

16 hours ago, hoover2701 said:

Hello hoover2701,

That worked perfectly.  Thank you.

2 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

KSPRC city lights is also a mod in CKAN that you can download as an addon for Spectra- I didn't want to include them in the main release but enough people liked them that I revived them from KSPRC and made it into a standalone pack so they can be added to any EVE mod now ;)

Hello Avera9eJoe,

Thank you for pointing that out.  Great alternative option for citylights in Spectra.

Now a neat trick would be to have them turn off citylights during day time and show city concrete footprint instead, similar to this real life example:

ISS005-E-10633_lrg.jpg

Eitherway, thank you both for the prompt assistance.

Edited by THX-1138

1 hour ago, THX-1138 said:

Hello hoover2701,

That worked perfectly.  Thank you.

Hello Avera9eJoe,

Thank you for pointing that out.  Great alternative option for citylights in Spectra.

Now a neat trick would be to have them turn off citylights during day time and show city concrete footprint instead, similar to this real life example:

ISS005-E-10633_lrg.jpg

Eitherway, thank you both for the prompt assistance.

Hm... that would be difficult to do since KSPRC did not have visible streets during the day and I would have to create yet another addon to have concrete during the day :/ I would also have to find good, HD tiling high altitude city textures (difficult to find, I've searched in vain already), and also create new configs to have them tile properly (also difficult).

45 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Hm... that would be difficult to do since KSPRC did not have visible streets during the day and I would have to create yet another addon to have concrete during the day :/ I would also have to find good, HD tiling high altitude city textures (difficult to find, I've searched in vain already), and also create new configs to have them tile properly (also difficult).

Hello Avera9eJoe,

Understood but here is an idea.  Could you change the existing KSPRC "citylights" tiles to be of a "darker" color for day time so it can appear as streets?  I am no digital artist to know how to technically pull it off but think of it being a "photographic" negative of the existing KSPRC "citylights" to be "turned on" during day time.  If not, no problem since I am happy with the KSPRC city lights in Spectra.  Thank you for taking the time to respond.