[1.12.3] Spectra Visual Compilation 1.6.2 "Horizons" (26th July 2022)

HafCoJoe

Hello to all!

Is there something special needed to have Kerbin lightning?

I have the latest of Spectra, Scatterer, EV. Running on KSP 1.9.1 

Thanks.

Update:

Figured it out.  The base install (from ckan) of EVE , scatterer an spectra didnt contain the configs or textures.   Copied the lightning config and lightning dds files to the spectra folders an updated the path in the config. Now lightning works, auroras work, clouds work and city lights work.  All is good.  But I need to tone down the frequency of the lightning.  Looks like all hell is breaking loose down there.

Edited by DaveLChgo

12 hours ago, BezKartuza said:

Duna. Spectra + scatterer

Looks good. But in "AVP" all same is better. But "Spectra" shows the best FPS.

Hide contents

screenshot24.png

screenshot27.png

screenshot33.png

screenshot34.png

screenshot35.png

screenshot38.png

screenshot39.png

screenshot46.png

screenshot49.png

screenshot50.png

screenshot66.png

Beautiful pictures :)

9 minutes ago, JcoolTheShipbuilder said:

I have EVE, Scatterer, and Spectra v1.2.2, and im going to update to spectra v1.3.3, should duna be blue?

Yes, Duna has a bluish tint to it - you can watch the trailer and check the images in the OP to see how it should look.

Turning off the water refraction seems to have made anything on the other side of the water than the camera completely white instead of just not-distorted.

Without refraction enabled (Spectra default):

Spoiler

Nd63MaX.png

nDQRga0.png

With refraction enabled:

Spoiler

3Zzj7JA.png

M2vU1lK.png

Honestly, having the pure white instead of some foam and being able to see your craft is pretty distracting whenever I'm splashed down. Is there a reason this isn't turned on by default?

3 hours ago, RyanRising said:

Honestly, having the pure white instead of some foam and being able to see your craft is pretty distracting whenever I'm splashed down. Is there a reason this isn't turned on by default?

I'm gonna guess it's for performance reasons. Reflection and refraction tend to be GPU intensive.

sooo... i just found a weird glitch. im not sure if i installed scatterer incorrectly, but every time i launch the game, duna gets a new DunaAtmoScatterBlue added...
also, the scatteringexposure doesnt get saved?
literally just that

Edited by JcoolTheShipbuilder

2 hours ago, JcoolTheShipbuilder said:

sooo... i just found a weird glitch. im not sure if i installed scatterer incorrectly, but every time i launch the game, duna gets a new DunaAtmoScatterBlue added...
also, the scatteringexposure doesnt get saved?
literally just that

This happens if you try to edit EVE with the in-game GUI. I did some special ModuleManager patched to enable/disable certain layers when it detects if Scatterer is installed, but if you hit save it breaks the patch and duplicates layers. Did you open the EVE GUI?

19 minutes ago, Misguided_Kerbal said:

Once Kopernicus finally gets updated, the Spectra textures would have to be updated to use the new shaders, right?

Not necessarily, but it's possible. I have yet to see how the Ultra shader handles it, but in the case of some planets (Like Duna, Eve, and possibly Laythe) I might remove the Kopernicus surface textures since the ultra shader has better detail. The textures in Spectra were more or less a replacement of the outdated planet surfaces, but now that the surfaces are getting revamped they might not be needed.

1 hour ago, Avera9eJoe said:

This happens if you try to edit EVE with the in-game GUI. I did some special ModuleManager patched to enable/disable certain layers when it detects if Scatterer is installed, but if you hit save it breaks the patch and duplicates layers. Did you open the EVE GUI?

yes, i opened the EVE GUI to disable volumetric clouds to save on performance, should i directly edit it in the .cfg file>

38 minutes ago, JcoolTheShipbuilder said:

yes, i opened the EVE GUI to disable volumetric clouds to save on performance, should i directly edit it in the .cfg file>

Ahh yeah that's where the problem occurred. Editing from the config is the way to do it yeah. You'll have to delete the Spectra folder from GameData and replace it with an unmodified one to fix the config files :P let me know if you have questions! I'm happy to help :)

UOOEu3n.png

It really is a beautiful mod. I think you've got the balance of effect and performance spot on. 
This is the first time I've used it, and I'm still just derping around Kerbin and moons but so far it's been beautiful, can't wait to get to the other planets (I think my progress is slowed down by having to stop all the time to gaze at the view!) 
I've run with scatterer and EVE for a long time and always felt that was a nice look, but that always needed tweaking and I was constantly trying to get better performance. I just installed this and haven't wanted to tweak anything.  Really great! 

6 hours ago, katateochi said:

UOOEu3n.png

It really is a beautiful mod. I think you've got the balance of effect and performance spot on. 
This is the first time I've used it, and I'm still just derping around Kerbin and moons but so far it's been beautiful, can't wait to get to the other planets (I think my progress is slowed down by having to stop all the time to gaze at the view!) 
I've run with scatterer and EVE for a long time and always felt that was a nice look, but that always needed tweaking and I was constantly trying to get better performance. I just installed this and haven't wanted to tweak anything.  Really great! 

This warms me beyond belief... I don't kid Katateochi when I say that you are part of the reason why I started making KSP videos and streams in the first place. Your Constellation video was the first 'large-scale' KSP video I ever saw, and honestly seeing projects that awesome are part if why I started getting into modding (that and I saw something that I wanted to improve). Thank you so much for your kind words, and while you said you haven't wanted to tweak anything, let me know if you have any suggestions! :D This pack is a collaboration, not just mine :) My favorite parts are Eve's clouds, Laythe's Luminescence, and Vall's surface textures. Vall and Pol's glow are close behind.

And PS, Craft Manager is a work of art!

Edited by Avera9eJoe

On 6/14/2020 at 3:14 PM, Avera9eJoe said:

Not necessarily, but it's possible. I have yet to see how the Ultra shader handles it, but in the case of some planets (Like Duna, Eve, and possibly Laythe) I might remove the Kopernicus surface textures since the ultra shader has better detail. The textures in Spectra were more or less a replacement of the outdated planet surfaces, but now that the surfaces are getting revamped they might not be needed.

@Avera9eJoe, I'm favoring this (unless the 1.10 textures don't live up to hype).  Partly because I don't want the heartache of having to choose on a per planet basis, but, more pragmatically, anything that saves RAM by eliminating redundancy of (assumed) equally good results is a win.  I think the value of Spectra is giving the extra ambiance and subtle details, which the base game doesn't provide, that can be enjoyed everywhere from ground level to high orbit.

Alternatively, if there's still demand for the alternate terrain and textures, you may want to consider dividing up the Spectra folder structure to make it easy to prune redundant material out, or give instructions for quick and safe removal.  Perhaps a MM patch or settings.cfg file could allow users to enable or disable loading of redundant material.  This would please the terrain/texture fans, while helping out the RAM misers.  I guess one thing to look into is which, if any, EVE or Scatterer effects are broken when using the Squad terrain.  That might merit separate .cfg files....

I can also think of some new effects to look into for the future:

- Infrequent rain, snow, and/or ground lightning, perhaps with dedicated cloud layers, separate from the planetary global fractals (or however they get derived) on Kerbin, Eve, and/or Laythe.

- Infrequent large scale dust storms and/or fog (localized, ground level, "dirty" or white clouds).

- I don't want to pre-judge the new 1.10 comets, but I'd be mildly shocked if Squad had atmospherics to go with them.  If there aren't spectacular tails and geysers that come and go with distance to the Sun, then we may just get dirty textured asteroids on highly eccentric orbits....

I'd be curious if weather FX placement algorithms can be bounded by lat/long boxes or biomes to certain regions (ex., Kerbin's deserts for dust).  Perhaps frequency of FX appearance can be tied to seasons derived from planetary distances from the sun or pulling the orbital LAN coordinates.  There are so many factors that trigger weather, but I think some simplified, generic, rules could carry the day, if the appropriate situational data can be queried from the game.  Perhaps to avoid continuous computation, the "weather" could be "refreshed" at relatively large intervals, and planetary or regional flags to enable FX could  turn on and/off as appropriate daily rotation and/or annual orbital timing parameters dictate.

Edited by KSPrynk

On 6/15/2020 at 5:49 AM, Avera9eJoe said:

This warms me beyond belief... I don't kid Katateochi when I say that you are part of the reason why I started making KSP videos and streams in the first place. Your Constellation video was the first 'large-scale' KSP video I ever saw, and honestly seeing projects that awesome are part if why I started getting into modding (that and I saw something that I wanted to improve).

That's so cool, my vid inspired you and now your mod has inspired me to get back into KSP (I've not played seriously in ages!). I wish I still had time to make vids, I'd love to make something with Spectra as the backdrop.

Thank you so much for your kind words, and while you said you haven't wanted to tweak anything, let me know if you have any suggestions!

The only thing that I thought was when seeing the sun and lens flare, my first reaction was
kSmbWf6.png

It took a moment to get used to but now it's actually one of the things that I like about Spectra. It makes the Sun much more...sunny!  

My favorite parts are Eve's clouds, Laythe's Luminescence, and Vall's surface textures. Vall and Pol's glow are close behind.

I've got probes heading out to Laythe and Vall right now. Looking forward to seeing them anew. 

And PS, Craft Manager is a work of art!

:) 

2 hours ago, anothernormalplayer said:

I noticed when i downloaded it with CKAN, all i got was the flares and the scatterer configs.
I tried downloading it manually but downloading im not good at downloading these type of graphics mods manually.

It sounds like you don't have EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements installed. Since EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements isn't officially updated for 1.9.1 yet CKAN doesn't install by default. This could explain why the clouds and other effects aren't showing up. Installing via CKAN is definitely the best way to go since it automatically grabs all the correct versions of all the necessary mods.

To force install it on CKAN first find the mod via the search bar, then click on the versions tab in the bottom left, then check the box for the most recent update:

fIqHBo7.png 

There is very little difference on the modding side between KSP v1.9 and v1.8, so you might instead want to mark v1.8 as a 'compatible version' via Settings/Compatible KSP Versions:

uXVl3Yv.png

CRNW4YA.png

2 hours ago, anothernormalplayer said:

On CKAN Mars isn't pink, the earth actually is and it looks good, but i badly want a pink mars.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'On CKAN' - do you mean the version you installed from CKAN?

I'm also not sure what you mean by "Mars isn't pink'. Spectra is only for the stock KSP Kerbin solar system and so it does not have Earth/Mars. Do you mean Duna?

Edited by Avera9eJoe

1 hour ago, anothernormalplayer said:

My bad, im not an expert on KSP so i might be confused, i meant Duna. Yes i meant the version of CKAN, english is not my native languague.

About the other problems, they got fixed so thank you, i will wait for the awnser of the Duna problem.

All good! You're already awesome for speaking more than one language :D

As for Duna, Spectra has always had a bluish-purple Duna. You can see it in the trailer video on the main page. Duna was by far the most difficult planet to make configs for and I only just recent am finally happy with how it looks. I don't plan on changing Duna's appearance, sorry :(

This said, if you want you can delete Spectra's config for Duna and it should make the game use the default Scatterer settings for Duna. To do this go into GameData/Spectra/Spectra_Scatterer/Planets and delete the entire 'Duna' folder. If this works out well for you please let me know, this is only a theory.

1 hour ago, Avera9eJoe said:

All good! You're already awesome for speaking more than one language :D

As for Duna, Spectra has always had a bluish-purple Duna. You can see it in the trailer video on the main page. Duna was by far the most difficult planet to make configs for and I only just recent am finally happy with how it looks. I don't plan on changing Duna's appearance, sorry :(

This said, if you want you can delete Spectra's config for Duna and it should make the game use the default Scatterer settings for Duna. To do this go into GameData/Spectra/Spectra_Scatterer/Planets and delete the entire 'Duna' folder. If this works out well for you please let me know, this is only a theory.

I think you misunderstanded me a bit, i want the pink Duna, but it doesn't appear, it appears as the scatterer configs.

EDIT: Kerbin has some of the pink effects, the atmosphere is blue. If you need a photo i previously sent one on my first post.

Edited by anothernormalplayer

4 hours ago, anothernormalplayer said:

I think you misunderstanded me a bit, i want the pink Duna, but it doesn't appear, it appears as the scatterer configs.

If I understand correctly, you don’t like Duna without "Spectra" and don’t like Duna from "Spectra". So you need an AVP. There Duna is what you need.

8 minutes ago, BezKartuza said:

If I understand correctly, you don’t like Duna without "Spectra" and don’t like Duna from "Spectra". So you need an AVP. There Duna is what you need.

I might concur with BezKartuza, AVP is another very pretty visual pack that takes a different approach to a few things in comparison to Spectra. AVP Duna looks much more orange than Spectra Duna so that might be what you are looking for :)

Albeit AVP isn't nearly as well optimized as Spectra :P