[1.12.3] Spectra Visual Compilation 1.6.2 "Horizons" (26th July 2022)

HafCoJoe

3 hours ago, Galileo said:

Instead of using scatterer for eclipses with your planets with glow, use EVE. The issue won't happen. Scatterer doesn't cast eclipses correctly on volumetric clouds or what you do in spectra.

3 hours ago, Galileo said:

Be sure to remove the scatterer eclipse nodes. Other wise dual eclipses are ugly

:/ Sorry to say but doing this had no effect. I disabled Scatterer eclipses and restarting changed nothing at all:

9ZBpdAz.png

8jSKGRf.png

Doing more testing though.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

9 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Are your EVE eclipses set?

I've been using your mod as an example and for testing took both your shadow configs. The "shadows.cfg" is the same as it is in standard EVE if I'm not mistaken, and the only change to the "Scatterer_EVEShadows.cfg" I'd need to make is changing the top bar to say "Spectra" instead of "StockVisualEnhancements?

The thing is, there aren't even any Scatterer configs for Vall or the rest of the non-atmospheric bodies. The glow is an old Layer2D "feature" from EVE 7-14 before Scatterer was around, and I asked Blackrack to try and get them compatible with Scatterer a few months back (And he did! Hence them being in Spectra). You probably have more knowledge on this than I do but I don't know if it's as simple a solution as that. I'll uninstall Scatterer though and see if the glow still mess up like that.

EDIT: I pinged you on Discord too if that's faster?

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Update: It's definitely EVE-Scatterer integration causing the issues. Turning it off or removing scatterer makes it completely vanish. However the EVE eclipses look dreadful...

NtAxQOI.png

I took that image without Scatterer. I've been using the Scatterer eclipses since they have a faded edge. My guess is that if I could disable EVE integration on all the planets without an atmosphere it might fix this whole issue, and let me use Scatterer eclipses. Though I tried and failed at doing that in configs.

When it comes down to it though, I'd much rather keep the ugly eclipses I have now than use the EVE eclipses. It's far more intrusive seeing a massive black dot than seeing the glow IMO. The other solution would be to remove the glow configs... wait a second. Testing something else.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Honestly I'd prefer to turn off eclipses on moons than have it look this bad.

zauHk3b.png

Everything would still eclipse properly on Jool/Kerbin/Laythe; it would simply remove the marble glow by making non-atmospheric planets no longer eclipse. 

EDIT: 

Huh. It seems as though Scatterer is drawing eclipses by painting the atmosphere black instead of the planet? I copied the config from Duna to Ike and it's doing eclipse to the atmosphere I pasted in. From this I can extrapolate that Scatterer only adds eclipses to the atmospheres it adds itself; it doesn't directly add anything to any planets without configs (though it might be breaking their effects via EVE-integration).

Spoiler

g120Q4u.png

@blackrack I'll ping you here just for interest :P We chatted about this a while back being able to enable and disable scatterer effects per planet, and it could be that I'm just not doing it right.

In a nutshell though: The Scatterer-EVE integration option is causing lots of havoc to the layer2D glow effects when they are eclipsed by a different body (I.E. Duna eclipsing Ike, Kerbin eclipsing the Mun, and Jool eclipsing any of it's moons causing the planet to look like this in the dark). I think that disabling Scatterer-Eve integration on the planets without a scatterer config will fix this issue, but I don't know how to. I'm guessing I need to add a line into planetlist.cfg?

2ND EDIT: I added a module for Ike in scatterer's planetlist.cfg and disabled Eve-integration on it, but nothing happened in game; still broken effects.

uSqfJ1K.png

Edited by Avera9eJoe

31 minutes ago, doudou said:

@Avera9eJoe

Hello, an update of kopernicus just released 1.3.0-5 Is it risky to update? Have you modified kopernicus in your Spectra pack?

I tested and that new release works perfectly with Spectra; in fact it actually works better seeing as it fixed the terrain scatter issues :) It's not in the release though; if you want to you can simply remove and replace the two folders that come in the kopernicus download. That being said, you might want to just wait as I should have a groundbreaking update coming sometime within the next four hours. :wink:

Edited by Avera9eJoe

12 minutes ago, sidfu said:

can we get some new SS to show all the updates the SS and vid are all very old now

Yeah the OP is still very barren sorry :P A video is in production though, as well as an imgur album with gifs :) 

Am i the only one who gets terrible download speeds on spacedock?

edit - speeds are inconsistent but they're fine now. Still it'd be better to have another mirror if it's possible.

Edited by qromodynmc

7 minutes ago, qromodynmc said:

Am i the only one who gets terrible download speeds on spacedock?

edit - speeds are inconsistent but they're fine now. Still it'd be better to have another mirror if it's possible.

It happens at times. SpaceDock doesn't get enough donations to add servers or keep more servers running.

Version 1.1 is out on SpaceDock! 

There were a lot of subtle changes to this version, namely a complete revamp of the file structure of both Spectra, and the download zip. It should be very easy to customize your experience now. The glow on Laythe also should now be as bright as it is in the cinematic. A large album is embedded into the main page now to give a better representation of what all Spectra adds to the planets. :)

Edited by Avera9eJoe

3 hours ago, wowiewhatausername said:

Okay, so I followed the instructions, and this happens. Any ideas as to what might be causing this?
It won't let me use pictures apparently so here's a link
https://imgur.com/a/XDSwO

Hm, it looks like the planet texture didn't load. Can you reboot and see if it persists? That's one of the few things that shouldn't mess up at all. Are you using any other visual mods?

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Hm, it looks like the planet texture didn't load. Can you reboot and see if it persists? That's one of the few things that shouldn't mess up at all. Are you using any other visual mods?

Reboot the game or the computer? I've restarted the game multiple times, and the problem persisted. I'm only using the dependencies and the extras.

2 hours ago, wowiewhatausername said:

Reboot the game or the computer? I've restarted the game multiple times, and the problem persisted. I'm only using the dependencies and the extras.

If you're on a mac I know what's causing this - Roger told me and I'll have a fix up momentarily. :)