[1.12.3] Spectra Visual Compilation 1.6.2 "Horizons" (26th July 2022)

HafCoJoe

Hi, I'm a big fan of your work! I was hoping you could help with an issue I'm having, if it's not too much trouble. I'm getting some weird looking stripes on some textures. They are the most noticeable on Kerbin and Eve, but also occur faintly in other places.

Examples:

bfC5WwK.jpg

kIDl20z.jpg

EDIT: This appears to be an issue with the .dds format of the textures. Converting all the textures from the mod from .dds to .png removes the striping, but causes ugly visual noise on the textures and makes some planets look white from orbit. Any ideas for a solution? I don't know anything about how textures work unfortunately.

I've been testing other visual mods and using the Stock Visual Terrain mod gives me the same striping issue, but when using a combination of KSPRC and SVE I get no visual errors.

Edited by Dexx

Spectra is looking grand, thanks for your work! I'm noticing Kerbin is a lot less cloudy - so far - than what I see in Astroneer. Is that going to change in the mod, or is it just luck? And do you have any other tips for making the game more beautiful? I've installed all the optional extras to make the game as pretty as can be. I have a 1080 I want to push.

Oh, special thanks for a REALLY DETAILED set of install instructoins, THANK YOU!

3 hours ago, TinyPirate said:

Spectra is looking grand, thanks for your work! I'm noticing Kerbin is a lot less cloudy - so far - than what I see in Astroneer. Is that going to change in the mod, or is it just luck? And do you have any other tips for making the game more beautiful? I've installed all the optional extras to make the game as pretty as can be. I have a 1080 I want to push.

Oh, special thanks for a REALLY DETAILED set of install instructoins, THANK YOU!

Thank you, and thank you! :D I generally like seeing Kerbin with fewer clouds than most other cloudpacks and I don't think I'm going to increase the number of clouds. That being said though, you could easily take the kerbin cloud texture from Astronomers pack (It's named Kerbin1), rename it to what the texture is in Spectra (kerbinMain I think), and then replace it. The reason Spectra has less clouds is simply because the texture is more sparse. :P

Steps to make the game more beautiful... Hm well, Spectra pushes the graphics department about as far as it goes but you can als install RasterPropMonitor for more IVAs, as well as any of the other mods from Avera9es Visual Ultimatum if you want more flashy stuff. Indicator Lights is another mod I've taken a recent liking too. Most of the stuff is irrelevant or already packed into Spectra, but collision FX, destruction FX, and Engine Lighting could really add a lot. Also check out the audio portion of that if you like new sounds.

You liked the instructions? Great! :D I tried to explain as much as possible, and if it is still easily readable that's actually great news to hear. :)

Edited by Avera9eJoe

17 hours ago, Dexx said:

Hi, I'm a big fan of your work! I was hoping you could help with an issue I'm having, if it's not too much trouble. I'm getting some weird looking stripes on some textures. They are the most noticeable on Kerbin and Eve, but also occur faintly in other places.

Examples:

bfC5WwK.jpg

kIDl20z.jpg

EDIT: This appears to be an issue with the .dds format of the textures. Converting all the textures from the mod from .dds to .png removes the striping, but causes ugly visual noise on the textures and makes some planets look white from orbit. Any ideas for a solution? I don't know anything about how textures work unfortunately.

I've been testing other visual mods and using the Stock Visual Terrain mod gives me the same striping issue, but when using a combination of KSPRC and SVE I get no visual errors.

The bands I only appear on DX11, go to DX9 artifacts should disappear

9 hours ago, miromed said:

The bands I only appear on DX11, go to DX9 artifacts should disappear

Thanks, that did indeed fix the issue!

I completely forgot that I was even forcing dx11 thought launch options tbh. I'll be running dx9 for now, but I still wonder why I wasn't getting any visual errors with a combination of KSPRC and SVE installed even on dx11. I just put both their folders and updated dependencies in gamedata and deleted the atmospheres folder from KSPRC in case anyone wants to test that.

Surely that means that there is something that can be changed in the settings to fix the issue instead of having to use dx9? I'm thinking it might be a result of a new feature from one of the dependencies that wasn't implemented yet when KSPRC released and that's why it doesn't cause the issue.

Edited by Dexx

Hello,  I've been playing around with visual mods for KSP for a while now and used SVE, KSPRC and such but Spectra is the best (the one I like most) I've come across and been loving it so far, but I've run into some issues with surface textures on certain bodies.

The map view and distant texture (Spectra_textures/Planets) works fine and I don't have a problem with those is just when I get close to the surface of certain bodies they don't load the texture(s) and just disappear, if I load a save near the body in a low orbit the game textures crash and the game becomes unplayable. I've started a new game and tested it by physically landing on and load saves in low orbits for every body in the system but had problems with the surface textures for;
-Moho
-Gilly
-Bop
-Ike

I've checked the configs file for the KSPRC textures (Kopernicus_terrain.cfg) for typos for these specific bodies maybe for the dds files (lunarsoil, mon etc.) but didn't seem to find any. If I delete the entire section of code (for example @Body[Bop] all the way to @Body[Pol] for Bop for example I have no problems with that body in game, probably because to defaults to stock KSP for just that body. Maybe there's a typo number setting extra zero in there? 

Moho;

XVDEuDF.gif

Ike (Notice at the end I zoom out)

3RlTJqP.gif

3 hours ago, Kays said:

Hello,  I've been playing around with visual mods for KSP for a while now and used SVE, KSPRC and such but Spectra is the best (the one I like most) I've come across and been loving it so far, but I've run into some issues with surface textures on certain bodies.

The map view and distant texture (Spectra_textures/Planets) works fine and I don't have a problem with those is just when I get close to the surface of certain bodies they don't load the texture(s) and just disappear, if I load a save near the body in a low orbit the game textures crash and the game becomes unplayable. I've started a new game and tested it by physically landing on and load saves in low orbits for every body in the system but had problems with the surface textures for;
-Moho
-Gilly
-Bop
-Ike

I've checked the configs file for the KSPRC textures (Kopernicus_terrain.cfg) for typos for these specific bodies maybe for the dds files (lunarsoil, mon etc.) but didn't seem to find any. If I delete the entire section of code (for example @Body[Bop] all the way to @Body[Pol] for Bop for example I have no problems with that body in game, probably because to defaults to stock KSP for just that body. Maybe there's a typo number setting extra zero in there? 

Moho;

XVDEuDF.gif

Ike (Notice at the end I zoom out)

3RlTJqP.gif

Thanks for the complements! :)

Huh... are you using any extra launch options? Anything unusual I should know? You're the first I've seen with this problem :/ I have an idea what it could be though; there's an option I used to color the terrain on those planets which takes the colors from the orbital texture instead of generating them the way KSP normally does. It might have been tampered with in the most recent release of Kopernicus. Could you try removing Kopernicus and ModuleFlight Integrator, and try installing a previous version of Kopernicus?

2 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Thanks for the complements! :)

Huh... are you using any extra launch options? Anything unusual I should know? You're the first I've seen with this problem :/ I have an idea what it could be though; there's an option I used to color the terrain on those planets which takes the colors from the orbital texture instead of generating them the way KSP normally does. It might have been tampered with in the most recent release of Kopernicus. Could you try removing Kopernicus and ModuleFlight Integrator, and try installing a previous version of Kopernicus?

No launch options if you mean forcing opengl and such. Yeah using an older version of Kopernicus (Kopernicus 1.2.2-11) fixed the problem. I guess something got changed in the 1.3.0-6 version that messed with it. I was able to crash into the surface with the problem before so I guess it makes sense that the surface was really there but just was transparent with no color. Hopefully I'm the only one that will have this problem, since these were minor bodies I might have been the first to come to these locations on the latest version of Spectra/Kopernicus. Hopefully it's not much work to solve these issues, but I don't mind using Kopernicus ver.1.2.2 for the time being.

Thanks a lot for the help, keep up the good work man! :D

Edited by Kays

So I just installed this and I adore it! Eve is probably my favourite body right now!
Though I do have 2 rather small problems. Both Duna and Jool are completely white.

Duna:

Spoiler

wnThB93.jpg

Jool:

Spoiler

fbDSYwp.jpg

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Edited by Joltout
Borked pictures

4 hours ago, TinyPirate said:

Spectra is quite pretty! Been using it in my livestreams. Screnshot here: https://twitter.com/TinyPirate/status/903599942219964416

Awesome!! I'm glad you are enjoying it so much :)

3 hours ago, Joltout said:

So I just installed this and I adore it! Eve is probably my favourite body right now!
Though I do have 2 rather small problems. Both Duna and Jool are completely white.

Duna:

Reveal hidden contents

wnThB93.jpg

Jool:

Reveal hidden contents

fbDSYwp.jpg

Any ideas on how to fix this?

That bug is caused by Scatterer and I'm not sure exactly what trips it - could you re-download and reinstall Scatterer? Make sure it's version 0.320b

Edited by Avera9eJoe

8 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

That bug is caused by Scatterer and I'm not sure exactly what causes it - could you re-download and reinstall Scatterer? Make sure it's version 0.0320b

That did the trick, I must've goofed somewhere along the line then.
Thanks for the help! Again, beautiful work :D

Hey Avera9eJoe, I'm really liking your work here, although I haven't really gotten further than Minimus yet in my Career.  Here is one thing I have run into with the newer versions including 1.1 and 1.2.  See screen shots for clarification.  On a Kerbin ascent, the transition from the atmosphere to space has a hard look to it now where it didn't in the version with file named "Spectra_Pack_-_Visual_Compilation-v1.0.zip".   If I delete the current Spectra folder and copy the Spectra folder from the old version to replace it, the transition looks smooth again.  It seems to show at around 15-20km.  On the new version, I tried to follow the installation carefully although honestly, I kind of like the way you did it when you bundled everything together.  Kind of the whole end to end control thing.  Thanks for your efforts.

http://imgur.com/a/avt3r

On 9/1/2017 at 10:40 AM, Joker58th said:

Hey Avera9eJoe, I'm really liking your work here, although I haven't really gotten further than Minimus yet in my Career.  Here is one thing I have run into with the newer versions including 1.1 and 1.2.  See screen shots for clarification.  On a Kerbin ascent, the transition from the atmosphere to space has a hard look to it now where it didn't in the version with file named "Spectra_Pack_-_Visual_Compilation-v1.0.zip".   If I delete the current Spectra folder and copy the Spectra folder from the old version to replace it, the transition looks smooth again.  It seems to show at around 15-20km.  On the new version, I tried to follow the installation carefully although honestly, I kind of like the way you did it when you bundled everything together.  Kind of the whole end to end control thing.  Thanks for your efforts.

http://imgur.com/a/avt3r

I stoper bundling everything because if I did, it would mean I'd have to re-release it for every support mod update :P I liked the simplicity with that too but sadly it just didn't make sense in the long run. As for that abrupt line, I'll see if I can fix it - my Scatterer configs changed with the recent update, explaining why it's messed up now.

On 9/1/2017 at 10:47 AM, DuoDex said:

It's time for a new KSP install here. What is the recommended specs to run this thing? It looks great.

Spectra actually runs really well - especially if you remove Scatterer or some of the bonus features. It should run on anything that's GTX 9-10. You'll also want 8GB of ram. I can't give specific specs though since I don't have a less expensive rig to test on :D On my PC ( 2k monitor, GTX 1070, i7-6700k) I get 60fps on Kerbin, if that helps. :)

EDIT: Fixed @DuoDex's quote

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Hey Joe.

I just started a fresh install and was going to try spectra as my main visual mod this time. I followed all your instructions and installed the dependency mods but I can't notice any difference between the game with or without your Spectra folder in gamedata.

amg2tF.png

I took a series of screenshots to demonstrate

Here is the game without Spectra:1owQJf.jpg

Here it is with Spectra:

hFpkxP.jpg

And for comparison, here it is without Spectra but with the EVE BoulderCo config:

tOFaSz.jpg

Is this typical for anyone else?

2 hours ago, Slamnam said:

Nope. No clouds at all.

Ik5rBS.jpg

Huh... Can you try removing the non Spectra mods and see if it's persists? The files that make clouds are inside the Spectra folder. Unless you have another cloud mod or improperly installed EVE it makes no sense that there are no clouds. :/

It's PoodsOPMVO, looking for textures from StockVisualEnhancements. Add in the textures folder from StockVisualEnhancements (don't need the rest of the mod), and OPMVO will be happy, and stop breaking all clouds.

This is what you need:

N7WecY8.png

17 hours ago, Rodger said:

It's PoodsOPMVO, looking for textures from StockVisualEnhancements. Add in the textures folder from StockVisualEnhancements (don't need the rest of the mod), and OPMVO will be happy, and stop breaking all clouds.

This is what you need:

N7WecY8.png

I tried that. Didn't seem to change anything.

PS: You made the BiB mod? Thank you! Now I can make blackbirds that dont look retarded.

Any chance we'll ever see this mod get blacked too?

19 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Huh... Can you try removing the non Spectra mods and see if it's persists? The files that make clouds are inside the Spectra folder. Unless you have another cloud mod or improperly installed EVE it makes no sense that there are no clouds. :/

Yes, That's how I installed it, testing it one mod at a time from a clean ksp install.

I followed your advice and took out the stuff i added after my initial graphical tests and the clouds are working now. I guess I have to figure out which mod is screwing it up.

At least I dont have too many yet. I think my last install was loading ten thousand mod files when the game started.

Edited by Slamnam

7 hours ago, Joltout said:

Ok, so I just got into low orbit around Ike and... Ike's totally vanished O_o

I mean, the gravity is still there, and when I fly into high orbit I can see Ike, but low orbit kinda just makes Ike Invisible? Any idea what's causing this bug?

My guess is there is something wrong with the most recent version of Kopernicus - I'll fix it as soon as I have time :( Older releases of Kopernicus should fix it, but terrain scatters won't be working anymore.