[1.12.3] Spectra Visual Compilation 1.6.2 "Horizons" (26th July 2022)

HafCoJoe

1 hour ago, adriangm44 said:

Does it work with the last version of Scatterer? Cause I updated both Spectra and Scatterer (stayed in 0.0772 cause the atmospheres looked really thick and weird) at the same time.  I got inside a save file and this is what I got:

https://imgur.com/gallery/szY6rIs

https://imgur.com/gallery/Dl6X2mJ

No cool clouds like in the video, very thick atmosphere, Duna looks weird... I don't know how to install this properly...

What visual mods do you have @Benzo Kerman? And what configs for scatterer and pretty much everything else?

I have the same question too. Used the latest scatterer version, Eve is pale pink with very little details, none of the strands and cirrus clouds on earlier versions.

Duna is very purple.

4 hours ago, adriangm44 said:

Does it work with the last version of Scatterer? Cause I updated both Spectra and Scatterer (stayed in 0.0772 cause the atmospheres looked really thick and weird) at the same time.  I got inside a save file and this is what I got:

It is designed to work on 0.835 so make sure thats what you are using. Are you using the vibrant sunsets extra? If so it may make everything look a little pale. We are currently working on changing this a bit.

Edit: The whole point of this update was the get the Scatterer compatibility up to the current version. I think that may not have been obvious. As for the problems with the planets, this is what they should look like...

Eve: (no wierd transtitions)

Spoiler

x3oqH60.png1wuxhas.pngIuyxX3e.png

Kerbin: (this will be the look once a future patch is pushed to fix the pale look, but it's not too different from how it currently looks)

Spoiler

vcxGynd.png

Duna: (with the vibrant sunsets thing)

Spoiler

vihxoih.png

It is also possible that @HafCoJoe made some changes

Edited by Benzo Kerman

7 minutes ago, geostationary_coffee said:

It looks like Vibrant Sunsets also removes the details in Eve's clouds and the "suspended dust" effect around Minmus:

https://imgur.com/a/uU1LqnR

You need to look a bit closer at the Minmus images to tell the difference.

Currently working on a fix for this, as well as a number of other additions like snow for Laythe/Kerbin

Update 1.6.2 is live on SpaceDock! Come a few hours (or minutes) though and I should have a version 1.6.2, which updates the suggested mods in CKAN as well. There's a lot of things being added/modified in the list.

EDIT: Apologies regarding 1.6.3, I'm stalling the release for a little while longer as CKAN itself is updating soon, and I can use some of the new features it is adding. This said, 1.6.2 is live, and working perfectly :) you'll have to wait a little bit longer for the suggested mods to update, but the core mod itself is live for KSP 1.12.3.

Edited by HafCoJoe

Thanks for all your efforts guys but I have 1.6.2 and Scatterer 0.0835 and to me Eve has a dramatic change when zooming. Here's a quick video:

Spoiler

I didn't change any Spectra settings (I don't even know TBH)

1 hour ago, Krazy1 said:

Thanks for all your efforts guys but I have 1.6.2 and Scatterer 0.0835 and to me Eve has a dramatic change when zooming. Here's a quick video:

Hide contents

I didn't change any Spectra settings (I don't even know TBH)

Looking into this

@Krazy1 I can't seem to replicate this, it looks perfectly normal in my safe :/ https://i.imgur.com/NBqgYQw.mp4 I tested with both the default configs, and with the vibrant sunsets addon.

Questions for you:

Are you installing manually, or via CKAN?

What OS are you using?

What other mods are you running?

@Krazy1 I think I can see the problem. Make sure you don't have the default EVE configs. Spectra provides its own configs and using the two at the same time will result in two different config's clouds being used. In this video you can see that the default EVE config's clouds, which are above the Spectra ones, fade first, explaining the change. Makesure to not have the default EVE config and have module manager so Spectra's clouds can be applied.

21 hours ago, HafCoJoe said:

What other mods are you running?

12 hours ago, Benzo Kerman said:

Make sure to not have the default EVE config

Thanks for the video.. yeah yours looks good to me.

Win 10, KSP 1.12.3. Using CKAN.

EVE stock planet config is not installed (it's showing cached but not installed in CKAN).

Here's a KSP log after loading, going to tracking station and looking at Eve (still looks like the video).

KSP LOG

Also yesterday I was in flight near Kerbin and the clouds were gone completely (like stock) and then at certain distance (2 Mm ish) and view angles it changed to a solid blue circle. 

I have a second similar install with the same visual mods and Eve looks the same. So it's probably not a random corruption.

12 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

Thanks for the video.. yeah yours looks good to me.

Win 10, KSP 1.12.3. Using CKAN.

EVE stock planet config is not installed (it's showing cached but not installed in CKAN).

Here's a KSP log after loading, going to tracking station and looking at Eve (still looks like the video).

KSP LOG

Also yesterday I was in flight near Kerbin and the clouds were gone completely (like stock) and then at certain distance (2 Mm ish) and view angles it changed to a solid blue circle. 

I have a second similar install with the same visual mods and Eve looks the same. So it's probably not a random corruption.

Sadly, I can't bug test for this because I have no way of reproducing it :/

Could you do a test for me? Make a clean KSP install (backing up your current steam directory somewhere else and then deleting it in steam to let it redownload is the easiest), then on that fresh save, *only* install Spectra + Scatterer and see if it still occurs

Edit: When installing via CKAN, you should only have to tick Spectra before you click the install button; as it installs, Scatterer will appear in the Recommended step already checked, that way you don't accidentally install the wrong version 

Edited by HafCoJoe

On 7/29/2022 at 12:00 AM, HafCoJoe said:

Could you do a test for me? Make a clean KSP install

Sure. CKAN makes it easy. (I didn't exactly do a fresh install - I had a 3rd instance for testing already so I just used that to save time. Not as safe but it worked. I don't mod or play on my Steam install- I just verify the local files in Steam and copy it all to a new instance with CKAN.)

So this mod list looks good... no weird Eve zoom issue:

Spoiler

Breaking Ground (BreakingGround-DLC 1.7.1)
Distant Object Enhancement /L (DistantObject v2.1.1.8)
Distant Object Enhancement /L default config (DistantObject-default v2.1.1.8)
Environmental Visual Enhancements Redux (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements 3:1.11.6.1)
Making History (MakingHistory-DLC 1.12.1)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 4.2.2)
Scatterer (Scatterer 3:v0.0835)
Scatterer Default Config (Scatterer-config 3:v0.0835)
Scatterer Sunflare (Scatterer-sunflare 3:v0.0835)
Spectra (Spectra v1.6.2)

Interesting thing is all of the mods were cached in CKAN... I didn't purge and redownload. So it's not a corrupted mod on this list at least. 

Next to try is Planetshine and different (higher) settings in Scatterer. 

1 hour ago, Krazy1 said:

Sure. CKAN makes it easy. (I didn't exactly do a fresh install - I had a 3rd instance for testing already so I just used that to save time. Not as safe but it worked. I don't mod or play on my Steam install- I just verify the local files in Steam and copy it all to a new instance with CKAN.)

So this mod list looks good... no weird Eve zoom issue:

Reveal hidden contents

Breaking Ground (BreakingGround-DLC 1.7.1)
Distant Object Enhancement /L (DistantObject v2.1.1.8)
Distant Object Enhancement /L default config (DistantObject-default v2.1.1.8)
Environmental Visual Enhancements Redux (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements 3:1.11.6.1)
Making History (MakingHistory-DLC 1.12.1)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 4.2.2)
Scatterer (Scatterer 3:v0.0835)
Scatterer Default Config (Scatterer-config 3:v0.0835)
Scatterer Sunflare (Scatterer-sunflare 3:v0.0835)
Spectra (Spectra v1.6.2)

Interesting thing is all of the mods were cached in CKAN... I didn't purge and redownload. So it's not a corrupted mod on this list at least. 

Next to try is Planetshine and different (higher) settings in Scatterer. 

I'm glad a reinstall worked! Yeah... That's really odd, bit I'm happy that it's fixed now. I do the same too with baking up my saves in other places

On 7/30/2022 at 2:00 AM, HafCoJoe said:

That's really odd, bit I'm happy that it's fixed now.

FYI after much more testing I found it's Kopernicus. It was so hard to figure out because removing it does not fix it. I'll post details over on that thread but it will take a while to write up - need food.

1 hour ago, Krazy1 said:

FYI after much more testing I found it's Kopernicus. It was so hard to figure out because removing it does not fix it. I'll post details over on that thread but it will take a while to write up - need food.

Curious... I wonder why that is

Attempting some back-end maintenance to make things install a bit more easily. There's a few issues with trying to use the non-Scatterer atmospheres that stems from outdated MM patches and config files

Currently to use the Scatterer effects you are required to install Scatter, Scatter-default-config, and Scatterer-Sunflare, despite Spectra providing it's own config files and sunflare. I'm fixing this so the latter two are no longer required; just Scatterer

Edited by HafCoJoe

On 8/1/2022 at 3:12 AM, Krazy1 said:

How did you fix it??

15 hours ago, HafCoJoe said:

Attempting some back-end maintenance to make things install a bit more easily. There's a few issues with trying to use the non-Scatterer atmospheres that stems from outdated MM patches and config files

Currently to use the Scatterer effects you are required to install Scatter, Scatter-default-config, and Scatterer-Sunflare, despite Spectra providing it's own config files and sunflare. I'm fixing this so the latter two are no longer required; just Scatterer

Hold up. Aren't these just part of Scatterer when you download it anyways? And if you are talking CKAN, Scatterer needs all of these to have the configs so that it knows what bodies to add effects to. Without these you will need a whole new planets list, and sun config. Right? Maybe I'm missing something.

11 hours ago, Benzo Kerman said:

Hold up. Aren't these just part of Scatterer when you download it anyways? And if you are talking CKAN, Scatterer needs all of these to have the configs so that it knows what bodies to add effects to. Without these you will need a whole new planets list, and sun config. Right? Maybe I'm missing something.

You are correct that it needs it's own planetslist and sun config. This only really matters when installing via CKAN, since it has the option to install Scatterer without the base configs. On CKAN, Scatterer is technically three mods—Scatterer, Scatterer Default Config, and Scatterer Sunflare. Currently, Spectra requires you to install all three if you want to use the Scatterer effects in game. This causes a lot of issues with mod dependencies :/ I've modified Spectra's internals so that on CKAN, you only need Scatterer to make it work, and Spectra now provides its own Config and Sunflare, instead of the janky method its CKAN code currently uses where it requires you to install all three, then manually overwrites.

It's.. a bit convoluted to explain, but it makes a LOT more sense when using CKAN :P and this change doesn't effect manual installation either

Edited by HafCoJoe

Update 1.6.5 is in the process of rolling out on CKAN. !!DO NOT DOWNLOAD IT YET FROM CKAN!! — the Meta data is not yet updated, and so if you install via CKAN it won't have any Scatterer configs or addon options. 

(Red means not indexed, I.E. they don't exist yet in CKAN)
whcPi4Z.png

If you wait a few days these should get approved, and once they're no longer red, you're all set to install. Fingers crossed that this is the last "big" update to the pack, and things from here on will probably just be addons, or small tweaks.

On 8/4/2022 at 1:43 AM, HafCoJoe said:

You are correct that it needs it's own planetslist and sun config. This only really matters when installing via CKAN, since it has the option to install Scatterer without the base configs. On CKAN, Scatterer is technically three mods—Scatterer, Scatterer Default Config, and Scatterer Sunflare. Currently, Spectra requires you to install all three if you want to use the Scatterer effects in game. This causes a lot of issues with mod dependencies :/ I've modified Spectra's internals so that on CKAN, you only need Scatterer to make it work, and Spectra now provides its own Config and Sunflare, instead of the janky method its CKAN code currently uses where it requires you to install all three, then manually overwrites.

It's.. a bit convoluted to explain, but it makes a LOT more sense when using CKAN :P and this change doesn't effect manual installation either

When manually downloading Scatterer (just the release, no configs, no sunflare), there's still a config folder with the planets, sunflare, etc folders. Do you think I should delete that folder? 
Actually I don't understand how my game doesn't look like yours yet. Kerbin looks like a pool ball reflecting the sun in all it's glory on it's oceans, it's not beautiful though...

Because if you check on CKAN, on the contents tab of Scatterer, Scatterer Default Config and Scatterer Sunflare, there are the same files and the same size. So what am I missing?

Edited by adriangm44

4 hours ago, adriangm44 said:

When manually downloading Scatterer (just the release, no configs, no sunflare), there's still a config folder with the planets, sunflare, etc folders. Do you think I should delete that folder? 
Actually I don't understand how my game doesn't look like yours yet. Kerbin looks like a pool ball reflecting the sun in all it's glory on it's oceans, it's not beautiful though...

Because if you check on CKAN, on the contents tab of Scatterer, Scatterer Default Config and Scatterer Sunflare, there are the same files and the same size. So what am I missing?

Spectra should overwrite the default config inside Scatterer, so it shouldn't matter if it's there or not. When you manually install Scatterer, you are installing the Sunflare and Default config as well as the download includes all three; only CKAN has the option to not install these — Could you show me pictures of your GameData and your Spectra folders inside GameData?

Edited by HafCoJoe