[1.12.3] Spectra Visual Compilation 1.6.2 "Horizons" (26th July 2022)

HafCoJoe

On 8/7/2022 at 3:57 PM, Krazy1 said:

Well first I just applied the available updates in CKAN which only changed Spectra from 1.6.3 to 1.6.5 and I saw spectra-scatterer was not indexed so I rolled Spectra back to 1.6.3. I just now uninstalled Spectra, which also removed scatterer and EVE. This is what I see for the Spectra 1.6.5 listed in CKAN. Purging/ refreshing doesn't change it.

SfYACUv.png

I have several other visual mods...  Here's my list (with spectra, scatterer, EVE removed). 

UPDATE:

I switched CKAN instance to my unmodded Steam install and it is good - no index error.  Hmmm.

Update2: Now going back to modded install, 1.6.3 has indexing errors too: 

fls6uiQ.png

On 8/9/2022 at 1:42 AM, HafCoJoe said:

Sounds like there's something broken with your modded install, if it works fine with your unmodded steam install :/

On 8/14/2022 at 3:37 PM, Krazy1 said:

OK but it's fine in-game. I've never seen this indexing thing before. Any suggestions how to fix it?

Hi, the "not indexed" thing can be caused by a CKAN bug in some cases (there are other cases where a mod actually isn't indexed, but it's not supposed to do that for a mod that's listed in CKAN). @JonnyOThan pointed it out on GitHub, and it turns out that it does that when you have a mod installed that conflicts with that one. We've fixed it at this link (so it will be fixed in the next release of CKAN), and there's a test build if you click the "Checks" tab and the "Artifacts" dropdown:

That explains the first screenshot; you probably had another Scatterer config installed, which conflicted with Spectra-Scatterer. In the second screenshot, nothing conflicts with those modules, so that must be a different cause. Maybe you needed to click Refresh to get the metadata for them?

EDIT: Taking a second look, I think those modules depend on other mods that in turn conflict with Scatterer configs. So the same explanation might pertain to them after all.

Edited by HebaruSan

On 8/27/2022 at 12:26 AM, HafCoJoe said:

Ooohh, that's actually a bit of a bug with EVE/Scatter right now; if you have both EVE and Scatterer installed, the clouds all have volumetrics (Kerbin's high altitude clouds don't though because they're so whispy, but the low altitude ones do). However for some reason if you don't install Scatterer, EVE doesn't have volumetrics :/ it's present across all packs though, not just Spectra

Is that what you mean? If you have both installed though you should already have volumetric clouds

not exactly. I have scatterer and EVE redux installed and i dont have the volumetric clouds.
also i dont mind if the high altitude clouds dont work im happy with low altitude clouds.
(ive got EVE redux instead  of just EVE so maybe thats the problem?? i dont know)

42 minutes ago, Dreiasaiy said:

not exactly. I have scatterer and EVE redux installed and i dont have the volumetric clouds.
also i dont mind if the high altitude clouds dont work im happy with low altitude clouds.
(ive got EVE redux instead  of just EVE so maybe thats the problem?? i dont know)

Odd... could you take a picture from the surface of Pol for me? Just want to make sure we're both talking about the same thing with Volumetrics.

Pol should have dust like this if the volumetrics are working:
Ub7sn4y.png

Edited by HafCoJoe

On 9/1/2022 at 12:32 PM, HafCoJoe said:

Odd... could you take a picture from the surface of Pol for me? Just want to make sure we're both talking about the same thing with Volumetrics.

Pol should have dust like this if the volumetrics are working:
Ub7sn4y.png

I mean the volumetric clouds when you pass through the cloud layer.

I'll also send the image from the surface of Pol. (also i dont see any dust in that image unless you're talking about the ground)

Edited by Dreiasaiy

4 hours ago, Dreiasaiy said:

I mean the volumetric clouds when you pass through the cloud layer.

I'll also send the image from the surface of Pol. (also i dont see any dust in that image unless you're talking about the ground)

The dust on Pol are volumetric clouds. If you see them, your volumetrics are not broken.

4 hours ago, Dreiasaiy said:

(also i dont see any dust in that image unless you're talking about the ground)

This foggy effect you see at the edge of the planet when in daylight?
yQyHLLt.png
^  That is volumetric clouds

Edited by HafCoJoe

:L If you don't see clouds there at all, then I can't really help you since I don't know what's going on.

You have Scatterer installed, yes? Scatterer is required to show volumetrics.

Did you install manually? If you did, install again via the CKAN mod installer, on a new clean unmodded install. The program grabs the same exact downloads that you use for manual installs and just installs them for you so you don't have to worry about messing things up. This way I can guarantee you're installing the correct parent mod versions, and installing them in the right way.

On 8/18/2022 at 2:50 PM, Dreiasaiy said:

i was trying to activate the close proximity clouds that show up when you pass through the cloud layer,

Re-reading this from your first post, it sounds like you were messing with the EVE GUI and applying/changing effects. If you did change anything in the default Spectra configs, I can't guarantee anything working anymore. Stuff starts breaking if you do. Again, I recommend trying again and installing via CKAN on a fresh install, to remove any other possible variables.

Edited by HafCoJoe

On 8/26/2022 at 7:57 AM, HebaruSan said:

Hi, the "not indexed" thing can be caused by a CKAN bug in some cases

Thanks for the info. "refresh" does not change anything. I saw your EDIT... OK. Spectra 1.6.3 seems to be working fine at the moment so I think I'll wait for the next CKAN release unless you think  it would help you to know now. I'm on CKAN 1.31.0.

On 9/2/2022 at 5:30 PM, HafCoJoe said:

:L If you don't see clouds there at all, then I can't really help you since I don't know what's going on.

Did you install manually? If you did, install again via the CKAN mod installer, on a new clean unmodded install. The program grabs the same exact downloads that you use for manual installs and just installs them for you so you don't have to worry about messing things up. This way I can guarantee you're installing the correct parent mod versions, and installing them in the right way.

Re-reading this from your first post, it sounds like you were messing with the EVE GUI and applying/changing effects. If you did change anything in the default Spectra configs, I can't guarantee anything working anymore. Stuff starts breaking if you do. Again, I recommend trying again and installing via CKAN on a fresh install, to remove any other possible variables.

yes i did mess with the EVE GUI but then i saw on the spectra page not to mess with it so i uninstalled spectra and redownloaded it.
then i got EVE redux so none of the things that i messed with should have saved?

Just to be sure, you want me to remove all my mods from my ksp gamedata folder, then download Spectra through CKAN, put it, scatterer and EVE redux into gamedata, then it should work?
(and im guessing if it works i can put all my other visual mods back? (its only restock and restock waterfall))

On 9/2/2022 at 5:30 PM, HafCoJoe said:

alright i reinstalled the mod on a fresh install using ckan did not work.
i have no clue what to do now.

reinstalling DID give me back the minmus and pol dust that you see from orbit but not on the surface, so thats a win

On 9/7/2022 at 12:12 AM, Dreiasaiy said:

alright i reinstalled the mod on a fresh install using ckan did not work.
i have no clue what to do now.

reinstalling DID give me back the minmus and pol dust that you see from orbit but not on the surface, so thats a win

Ah good; if you see the Minmus and Pol dust than your Volumetrics are working. They might just be too soft for you to notice? You can modify them manually by opening the config files, but don't change anything in the in-game GUI.

Try this if you want to make the volumetric clouds on Kerbin more vibrant:

1. Go to: GameData/Spectra/Spectra_EVE/EVE_Main.cfg
  2. Search 'name = KerbinMain'
  3. inside its settings node, change 255,255,255,150 to 255,255,255,255 or try another value for transparency. I don't know how the most recent version of Scatterer/EVE handles it, but this should make the cloud layer less transparent and also make the volumetrics easier to see

23 hours ago, HafCoJoe said:

Ah good; if you see the Minmus and Pol dust than your Volumetrics are working. They might just be too soft for you to notice? You can modify them manually by opening the config files, but don't change anything in the in-game GUI.

3. inside its settings node, change 255,255,255,150 to 255,255,255,255 or try another value for transparency. I don't know how the most recent version of Scatterer/EVE handles it, but this should make the cloud layer less transparent and also make the volumetrics easier to see

aight thanks!
can i do this with other planets and it will work there?

im guessing the last number is the transparency (?) so if i change that i can see the volumetrics better?

Edited by Dreiasaiy

On 9/9/2022 at 3:44 PM, HafCoJoe said:

I just went over and changed that but no clouds. minmus and pol still have the thin atmospheres so thats a good sign. 

On 9/9/2022 at 3:44 PM, HafCoJoe said:

i got it working :D

the only volumetric clouds that arent working (and i dont want on those planets anyway) are kerbin and eve

Edited by Dreiasaiy

On 9/9/2022 at 10:39 PM, Dreiasaiy said:

aight thanks!
can i do this with other planets and it will work there?

im guessing the last number is the transparency (?) so if i change that i can see the volumetrics better?

On 9/9/2022 at 11:11 PM, Dreiasaiy said:

I just went over and changed that but no clouds. minmus and pol still have the thin atmospheres so thats a good sign. 

It is transparency, though these variables got a bit wonky with the latest updates of Scatterer/Eve so I don't know how effective they are anymore sadly

On 9/12/2022 at 4:21 AM, HafCoJoe said:

It is transparency, though these variables got a bit wonky with the latest updates of Scatterer/Eve so I don't know how effective they are anymore sadly

I've got it all working, Thanks for all the help you could give.
I redownloaded from CKAN on an unmodded install and then I went into the Eve_Main.cfg file and deleted the Kerbin upper and main clouds,  (and did it with eve as eves clouds were also broken,) and then I loaded up KSP.
And i checked that Laythe still had clouds (it did) and then i went to Minmus to check the dust, everything is working.
All is good. Thanks for the help :)

(i think it might have been Kerbin or Eve's clouds messing with the volumetrics of other planets and moons because when i removed those everything was not laggy and there was dust on Minmus and Pol.)

Edited by Dreiasaiy

12 hours ago, Dreiasaiy said:

I've got it all working, Thanks for all the help you could give.
I redownloaded from CKAN on an unmodded install and then I went into the Eve_Main.cfg file and deleted the Kerbin upper and main clouds,  (and did it with eve as eves clouds were also broken,) and then I loaded up KSP.
And i checked that Laythe still had clouds (it did) and then i went to Minmus to check the dust, everything is working.
All is good. Thanks for the help :)

(i think it might have been Kerbin or Eve's clouds messing with the volumetrics of other planets and moons because when i removed those everything was not laggy and there was dust on Minmus and Pol.)

Hm, thanks for the info about removing Kerbin and Eve's clouds effecting lag; I might look into that to see if there's anything strange going on. Eve has a ton of cloud layers simply out of necessity, so if any volumetrics are causing lag, it's a high probability it's Eve. That said, @blackrackhighly optimized volumetrics in one of the more recent updates to EVE, so I don't think volumetrics should be causing any issues?

4 hours ago, HafCoJoe said:

Hm, thanks for the info about removing Kerbin and Eve's clouds effecting lag; I might look into that to see if there's anything strange going on. Eve has a ton of cloud layers simply out of necessity, so if any volumetrics are causing lag, it's a high probability it's Eve. That said, @blackrackhighly optimized volumetrics in one of the more recent updates to EVE, so I don't think volumetrics should be causing any issues?

I only quickly skimmed the conversation but perhaps @Dreiasaiycould post his specs and a log file so we could check for any nullref spams or issues, assuming his specs are up to speed.

17 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

Has anyone tried this with Parallax 2.0? Any issues? Is there an order of operations in terms in the install? Because Parallax uses its own textures.

They work in parallel with no problems :)

On 9/16/2022 at 3:26 AM, blackrack said:

I only quickly skimmed the conversation but perhaps @Dreiasaiycould post his specs and a log file so we could check for any nullref spams or issues, assuming his specs are up to speed.

Yeah i have no clue what you mean when you say specs and log file im not a good computer person but I understand enough to get mods and mess with numbers.

On 9/23/2022 at 4:26 AM, MrLivion said:

How does this mod compare in performance to AVP? (more specifically, 2k textures, and scatterer) is it lighter?

Edit: Apparently it's nearly a tie

Aye, I designed it to be as performance optimized as possible for its bang :) It's good to hear the same result from another user! Say, you say that they're almost a tie, but was one of them slightly better? I'm curious which

5 hours ago, HafCoJoe said:

Aye, I designed it to be as performance optimized as possible for its bang :) It's good to hear the same result from another user! Say, you say that they're almost a tie, but was one of them slightly better? I'm curious which

In my experience, I agree with MrLivion in terms of performance, comparing AVP with 8k textures and Spectra with all it's addons is a tie in terms of FPS. But, Spectra is a little heavier on the RAM side, around 1-1.5 GB more