[1.12.3] Spectra Visual Compilation 1.6.2 "Horizons" (26th July 2022)

HafCoJoe

I've currently has the most latest 1.9 version of Scatterer (official) as well as official 1.9 EVE, but still Spectra doesn't affect the planet's visual much, the sunflare and atmospheric planet are still dominated by Scatterer and EVE. Other than saves having AVP causing errors, what else can affect Spectra performance? And do I need to install Scatterer and EVE before Spectra?

Edited by Sirius K

3 hours ago, Sirius K said:

I've currently has the most latest 1.9 version of Scatterer (official) as well as official 1.9 EVE, but still Spectra doesn't affect the planet's visual much, the sunflare and atmospheric planet are still dominated by Scatterer and EVE.

Could you post me a picture of what Laythe looks like in your game? If Laythe has glowing clouds at night like in my trailer then Spectra should be installed correctly. If not, then there's definitely something wrong.

I also think you might be a bit confused in saying "the sunflare and atmospheric planet are still dominated by Scatterer and EVE". Scatterer is the mod that adds both the sunflare and atmospheres and EVE is the mod that adds cloud textures. Spectra simply adds extra config files and textures to modify the default scatterer settings and clouds to look more detailed and colorful. Think of Scatterer and EVE as a sort of template, and Spectra fills it out with config files and textures to add more detail and color.

Other than saves having AVP causing errors, what else can affect Spectra performance?

When you say "AVP" do you mean Astronomer's Visual Pack? I'm afraid Spectra and AVP are incompatible. For that matter, speaking generally, all cloudpacks are incompatible. You won't be able to run AVP and Spectra at the same time, likewise SVE and AVP, or Sci-fi and AVP. If you try doing this you are trying to make KSP load duplicate atmospheres and clouds for every planet, as well as particles, sun flare, surface objects, textures, the list goes on... needless to say this is very bad and causes both lag and bugs and :0.0:

You can run AVP, or Spectra, or SVE, but not at the same time :(

And do I need to install Scatterer and EVE before Spectra?

Nope, install order does not matter :P

Edited by Avera9eJoe

z6lQh4a.pngbCYvJjk.png

1 hour ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Could you post me a picture of what Laythe looks like in your game? If Laythe has glowing clouds at night like in my trailer then Spectra should be installed correctly. If not, then there's definitely something wrong.

I also think you might be a bit confused in saying "the sunflare and atmospheric planet are still dominated by Scatterer and EVE". Scatterer is the mod that adds both the sunflare and atmospheres and EVE is the mod that adds cloud textures. Spectra simply adds extra config files and textures to modify the default scatterer settings and clouds to look more detailed and colorful. Think of Scatterer and EVE as a sort of template, and Spectra fills it out with config files and textures to add more detail and color.

When you say "AVP" do you mean Astronomer's Visual Pack? I'm afraid Spectra and AVP are incompatible. For that matter, speaking generally, all cloudpacks are incompatible. You won't be able to run AVP and Spectra at the same time, likewise SVE and AVP, or Sci-fi and AVP. If you try doing this you are trying to make KSP load duplicate atmospheres and clouds for every planet, as well as particles, sun flare, surface objects, textures, the list goes on... needless to say this is very bad and causes both lag and bugs and :0.0:

You can run AVP, or Spectra, or SVE, but not at the same time :(

Nope, install order does not matter :P

Laythe has glowing clouds just like other atmospheric planets have auroras, but just like my previous pictures, only Laythe doesn't have problem while the others lack features, like Duna doesn't have the blues. I still have saves that are loaded when AVP is still there, but after that they were never loaded again as I removed AVP and changed to Spectra. For the sunflare the game doesn't loads Spectra sunflare. Every atmospheric planet except Laythe doesn't look similar in the trailer. As you can see from the pictures, Laythe is ok but Jool looks like a plain green planet, the bands are nearly invisible

Edited by Sirius K

22 hours ago, RyanRising said:

Hey, thanks Joe! I’m having a great time with this mod installed. 

Thank you! Glad to hear :D

I just realize i forgot the dependency modulemanager.

But there are some error from scatterer on Duna and Eve

Ah gotcha. Good to know its working for you know :) Scatterer does throw errors on occasion though that's a scatterer issue and not Spectra :P it doesn't cause any harm though so I just ignore them.

Hey Joe, I had to register just to provide my 2 Kerbal Dollars on your marvelous little mod.  I also have tried with no success to get the sunflare in your mod working on a 1.8.1 install (I have Astronomer's Visual Pack working marvelously on 1.9.1 with the updated new Scatterer, but I like your soft atmospheric transitions, as well). All I get is the hot potato both in the tracking station and in flight. It is even less bright than in the stock game. What kinda works:

1. Installed E.V.E. + Module Manager + Planetshine through CKAN
2. Installed Scatterer + Sunflare through CKAN - made a copy of the resulting folder in Gamedata - uninstalled from CKAN again
3. Installed Spectra + Scatterer and then replaced the scatterer folder with the one copied before (that includes the sunflare)
4. Did NOT delete the sunflare in the Spectra folder

Now, I have a sunflare, and I am pretty sure it is yours...? You could possibly check whether the scatterer sunflare component needs to be installed for the Spectra sunflare to work? CKAN says there is a conflict, but my workaround appears to work.

Edit: spelling and some additional info

Edited by Wowa Ilyich

7 hours ago, Wowa Ilyich said:

Hey Joe, I had to register just to provide my 2 Kerbal Dollars on your marvelous little mod.  I also have tried with no success to get the sunflare in your mod working on a 1.8.1 install (I have Astronomer's Visual Pack working marvelously on 1.9.1 with the updated new Scatterer, but I like your soft atmospheric transitions, as well). All I get is the hot potato both in the tracking station and in flight. It is even less bright than in the stock game. What kinda works:

1. Installed E.V.E. + Module Manager + Planetshine through CKAN
2. Installed Scatterer + Sunflare through CKAN - made a copy of the resulting folder in Gamedata - uninstalled from CKAN again
3. Installed Spectra + Scatterer and then replaced the scatterer folder with the one copied before (that includes the sunflare)
4. Did NOT delete the sunflare in the Spectra folder

Now, I have a sunflare, and I am pretty sure it is yours...? You could possibly check whether the scatterer sunflare component needs to be installed for the Spectra sunflare to work? CKAN says there is a conflict, but my workaround appears to work.

Edit: spelling and some additional info

Hello and thank you for your complement! :)

It seems you aren't the only one who has problems with the sunflare not working. I'm still not sure what the cause of the issue is though, as I have never been able to reproduce it on my end; I haven't had any issues with it. Its definitely something with Scatterer though since Spectra uses scatterer's sunflare code but adds new textures and a new config.

Just to be sure it is my sunflare that you are seeing, could you post a picture of it?

10 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Hello and thank you for your complement! :)

It seems you aren't the only one who has problems with the sunflare not working. I'm still not sure what the cause of the issue is though, as I have never been able to reproduce it on my end; I haven't had any issues with it. Its definitely something with Scatterer though since Spectra uses scatterer's sunflare code but adds new textures and a new config.

Just to be sure it is my sunflare that you are seeing, could you post a picture of it?

From comparing the screenshot on the front page with my sunflare, I am 90% sure it is your sunflare that I am seeing (brigther than the standard scatterer one). I uploaded a screenshot to: https://imgur.com/iNH3n43 .

If the flare is the correct one, it could be an easy fix to remove the "spectra has a conflict with scatterer sunflare" component in CKAN, let scatterer install with its sunflare and then install Spectra on top....?

Hello, I'm returning to KSP after some time and just installed Spectra to try it.

I added Spectra to previously installed mods, after updating them through CKAN and removing Scatterer sunflare, Planetshine config and EVE config

I have the problem of no sunflare.  

Spoiler

Uw18BJM.jpg

I also want to know if this is the expected aspect of mountains: they are blueish without a noticeable atmospheric scattering

Spoiler

UtndUD4.jpg

KSP  version: 1.9.1

Mod list:

Spoiler

AtmosphereAutopilot (Fly-By-Wire) (AtmosphereAutopilot v1.5.16)
B9 Part Switch (B9PartSwitch v2.16.0)
BonVoyage (BonVoyage 1:1.0.1.1)
Chatterer (Chatterer 0.9.99)
Chatterer Extended (ChattererExtended 0.6.2)
ClickThrough Blocker (ClickThroughBlocker 0.1.9.5)
Community Category Kit (CommunityCategoryKit 5.0.0.0)
Community Tech Tree (CommunityTechTree 1:3.4.1)
Distant Object Enhancement Continued (DistantObject v2.0.0.2)
Distant Object Enhancement Continued default config (DistantObject-default v2.0.0.2)
Docking Port Alignment Indicator (DockingPortAlignmentIndicator 6.8.6)
Environmental Visual Enhancements (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements 2:EVE-1.8.0-2)
Feline Utility Rovers (FelineUtilityRovers 1.2.11)
HyperEdit (HyperEdit 1.5.8.0)
IndicatorLights (IndicatorLights 1.6)
IndicatorLights Community Extensions (IndicatorLightsCommunityExtensions 1.6)
JX2Antenna (JX2Antenna 2.0.5)
Kerbal Alarm Clock (KerbalAlarmClock v3.13.0.0)
Kerbal Engineer Redux (KerbalEngineerRedux 1.1.7.1)
Kerbal Reusability Expansion (SpaceXLegs 2.8.5)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 4.1.3)
Near Future Construction (NearFutureConstruction 1.2.2)
Near Future IVA Props (NearFutureProps 1:0.6.2)
Near Future Launch Vehicles (NearFutureLaunchVehicles 1.3.0)
Near Future Solar (NearFutureSolar 1.2.1)
Near Future Solar Core (NearFutureSolar-Core 1.2.1)
Near Future Spacecraft (NearFutureSpacecraft 1.3.1)
PlanetShine (PlanetShine 0.2.6.3)
Real Time Clock 2 (RealTimeClock2 v1.11.2)
scatterer (Scatterer 3:v0.0610)
Scatterer Default Config (Scatterer-config 3:v0.0610)
Spectra (Spectra v1.2.5)
Stockalike Station Parts Expansion Redux (StationPartsExpansionRedux 1.3.4)
Surface Mounted Lights (surfacelights 1.15)
Tracking Station Evolved (TrackingStationEvolved 5.0)
Transfer Window Planner (TransferWindowPlanner v1.7.2.0)
TriggerAu Flags (TriggerAu-Flags v2.10.0.0)
Zero MiniAVC (ZeroMiniAVC 1:1.1.0.1)

Thank you

26 minutes ago, SpaceJaM said:

Hello, I'm returning to KSP after some time and just installed Spectra to try it.

I added Spectra to previously installed mods, after updating them through CKAN and removing Scatterer sunflare, Planetshine config and EVE config

I have the problem of no sunflare.  

I also want to know if this is the expected aspect of mountains: they are blueish without a noticeable atmospheric scattering

KSP  version: 1.9.1

Mod list:

Thank you

Hello SpaceJaM - please refer to my posts just above yours and try the following:

1. Install scatterer and the scatterer sunflare through CKAN
2. Go to /gamedata in your KSP directory and make a copy of the scatterer folder
3. Remove scatterer and sunflare from CKAN, install Spectra
4. After Spectra is installed, put the copy of the scatterer folder back into the /gamedata folder, overwrite if prompted.

This should work, please let us know your results.

Cheers,

Wowa

5 hours ago, Wowa Ilyich said:

Hello SpaceJaM - please refer to my posts just above yours and try the following:

1. Install scatterer and the scatterer sunflare through CKAN
2. Go to /gamedata in your KSP directory and make a copy of the scatterer folder
3. Remove scatterer and sunflare from CKAN, install Spectra
4. After Spectra is installed, put the copy of the scatterer folder back into the /gamedata folder, overwrite if prompted.

This should work, please let us know your results.

Cheers,

Wowa

Thank you Wowa, I got sunflares using your procedure. A little strange, because the sunflares from scatterer are marked as "conflict". Do other people have sunflares without the scatterer config?

Abouty my other image: are my mountains ok? Do you think there is any issue with scatterer? 

12 hours ago, SpaceJaM said:

Thank you Wowa, I got sunflares using your procedure. A little strange, because the sunflares from scatterer are marked as "conflict". Do other people have sunflares without the scatterer config?

Abouty my other image: are my mountains ok? Do you think there is any issue with scatterer? 

Hey SpaceJam,

I am glad the solution works! (Please take note @Avera9eJoe )

I am not sure what the Mountains are supposed to look like - here is what they look like for me in a fresh 1.9.1 install with Spectra only: https://imgur.com/a/faF1aYp
To be honest, I can accept the washed out look of the mountain range if that means that I get the rest of the beauty that Spectra provides. Someone else will have to comment on the looks and quality of the mountains and what needs to be tweaked to get a more realistic look.

Cheers,

Wowa

4 hours ago, Wowa Ilyich said:

Hey SpaceJam,

I am not sure what the Mountains are supposed to look like - here is what they look like for me in a fresh 1.9.1 install with Spectra only: https://imgur.com/a/faF1aYp
To be honest, I can accept the washed out look of the mountain range if that means that I get the rest of the beauty that Spectra provides. Someone else will have to comment on the looks and quality of the mountains and what needs to be tweaked to get a more realistic look.

Cheers,

Wowa

Ok, your mountains looks like mine, but your grass is better :D

9 hours ago, Wowa Ilyich said:

Hey SpaceJam,

Cheers,

Wowa

4 hours ago, SpaceJaM said:

Ok, your mountains looks like mine, but your grass is better :D

It looks like he's using the new 1.9 terrain shaders :)

My terrain changes aren't actually in 1.9 yet! Kopernicus is the mod that changes mountain/grass, and because it is not added to 1.9 yet there are no changes to the default terrain. Both of your guys games are using the stock games terrain but with different settings 

2 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

It looks like he's using the new 1.9 terrain shaders :)

My terrain changes aren't actually in 1.9 yet! Kopernicus is the mod that changes mountain/grass, and because it is not added to 1.9 yet there are no changes to the default terrain. Both of your guys games are using the stock games terrain but with different settings 

Indeed, I have never used Kopernicus before and try my best to keep the game as light as possible while adding the essential visuals. My screenshot is Stock 1.9.1 with the textures set to max. Could you or anyone post a screenshot of Spectra with Kopernicus terrain textures for reference? I can live with the 1.9.1 stock terrain, but maybe I have not seen the light yet?

Cheers, Wowa

1 hour ago, Wowa Ilyich said:

Indeed, I have never used Kopernicus before and try my best to keep the game as light as possible while adding the essential visuals. My screenshot is Stock 1.9.1 with the textures set to max. Could you or anyone post a screenshot of Spectra with Kopernicus terrain textures for reference? I can live with the 1.9.1 stock terrain, but maybe I have not seen the light yet?

Cheers, Wowa

The stock textures on Kerbin are pretty fantastic now being totally honest, same with the Mun and Minmus. I'm debating removing the Kerbin/Mün/Minmus/revamped bodies kopernicus textures with an update when it's released for 1.9. I sadly can't post pictures of it right now because I'm out of town :( you can see a few snippets of the changes in the trailer though. Ike has a nice shot near the beginning when the Kerbal is floating towards the capsule, and you get a good shot of Pol and Vall in it too. My favorite planet by a landslide is Vall.

3 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

The stock textures on Kerbin are pretty fantastic now being totally honest, same with the Mun and Minmus. I'm debating removing the Kerbin/Mün/Minmus/revamped bodies kopernicus textures with an update when it's released for 1.9. I sadly can't post pictures of it right now because I'm out of town :( you can see a few snippets of the changes in the trailer though. Ike has a nice shot near the beginning when the Kerbal is floating towards the capsule, and you get a good shot of Pol and Vall in it too. My favorite planet by a landslide is Vall.

I was wondering how many vis-mods were going to encounter this same dilemma as well.  I was thinking of experimenting with selective pruning myself, once Kopernicus and everyone else caught up to 1.9.X.  I'm still mashing Spectra for the Inner Planets with SVE for OPM.  And now there's MPE (drool).

I'm not opposed to a friendly Vis-Mod competition, but I'll just say I'll be heartbroken if I can't give Laythe its bioluminescent clouds.  That view makes it the most desirable piece of real estate in the entire Kerbol System.

Edited by KSPrynk

dBL9jjq.pngUzriCKe.pngUCpEeyg.pngI have no idea if this is a Scatterer bug, or I have reinstall Scatterer too many times, or if this is a feature of Spectra. This is at Eve daylight terminator area, near 11km above surface. Please reply.

Edited by Sirius K

57 minutes ago, Sirius K said:

I have no idea if this is a Scatterer bug, or I have reinstall Scatterer too many times, or if this is a feature of Spectra. This is at Eve daylight terminator area, near 11km above surface. Please reply.

Hey! Yes this is a bug, although it isn't fixable because of how EVE handles cloud layers. You are just about the highest cloud layer, and the layers are what is creating that abrupt line across the horizon. You could theoretically lessen it by increasing the number of cloud particles, although this TANKS your FPS. Take if from the guy who has a 1080Ti, it isn't good.

Also, if you want your posts to be a bit more readable, I suggest adding a line break after your images so that the text is on a line of its own instead of wrapping around. Helps to read :)

Edited by Avera9eJoe

1 hour ago, VoidCosmos said:

What is the difference between environment visual enhancements default configs and spectra?

There's quite a lot of differences; you can see many of them in the trailer video. Default EVE adds very basic clouds to Kerbin/Eve/Laythe, and Spectra adds clouds to Kerbin/Eve/Laythe, as well as clouds on Duna and a suite of other enhancements to every single planetary body stretching far beyond just clouds. In a nutshell,

Default eve adds:

• Cloud layers to all atmospheric bodies

Spectra adds:

• More detailed and optimized cloud layers to all atmospheric bodies
  • Auroras to all atmospheric bodies
  • Glowing bioluminescence on Laythe
  • Geysers on Minmus and Eeloo
  • Fog on Minmus and Pol
  • Dust storms on Duna
  • Ablative solar effects to Moho
  • A new sunflare
  • A new skybox (though I may remove it in the future, I've been using a different one myself recently)
  • A vibrant scifi color pallet to atmospheric effects
  • Custom ocean and atmospheres for Scatterer mod
  • Custom planet terrain textures for Kopernicus mod (Though Kopernicus isn't currently updated for 1.9 so this feature doesn't work in 1.9 saves)

3 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

There's quite a lot of differences; you can see many of them in the trailer video. Default EVE adds very basic clouds to Kerbin/Eve/Laythe, and Spectra adds clouds to Kerbin/Eve/Laythe, as well as clouds on Duna and a suite of other enhancements to every single planetary body stretching far beyond just clouds. In a nutshell,

Default eve adds:

• Cloud layers to all atmospheric bodies

Spectra adds:

• More detailed and optimized cloud layers to all atmospheric bodies
  • Auroras to all atmospheric bodies
  • Glowing bioluminescence on Laythe
  • Geysers on Minmus and Eeloo
  • Fog on Minmus and Pol
  • Dust storms on Duna
  • Ablative solar effects to Moho
  • A new sunflare
  • A new skybox (though I may remove it in the future, I've been using a different one myself recently)
  • A vibrant scifi color pallet to atmospheric effects
  • Custom ocean and atmospheres for Scatterer mod
  • Custom planet terrain textures for Kopernicus mod (Though Kopernicus isn't currently updated for 1.9 so this feature doesn't work in 1.9 saves)

Oh okay thanks! I'll go with Spectra