[1.12.3] Spectra Visual Compilation 1.6.2 "Horizons" (26th July 2022)

HafCoJoe

26 minutes ago, Rakete said:

Some changelog somewhere to find? What are the improvements?

Changelog on SpaceDock :) I finally got around to updating, since it's been over a year since my last... sorry about that.

It's mostly small things, just fixing compatibility issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

Me again. :)

I've just downloaded and installed Spectra 1.5 on a fresh install of KSP. Guess what. The sunflares still don't work :confused:. I've just have the stock ones. :D 

I have no other mods installed except for the Spectra dependencies. all of which are the latest and greatest.

Any ideas chaps? 

1 hour ago, rextable said:

Hello

Me again. :)

I've just downloaded and installed Spectra 1.5 on a fresh install of KSP. Guess what. The sunflares still don't work :confused:. I've just have the stock ones. :D 

I have no other mods installed except for the Spectra dependencies. all of which are the latest and greatest.

Any ideas chaps? 

I had the same problem sometime ago and what I did was to delete the "Sunflares" folder  in "Spectra_scatterer" and manage the sunflares directly from the scatterer directory.

12 hours ago, Firebird989 said:

I had the same problem sometime ago and what I did was to delete the "Sunflares" folder  in "Spectra_scatterer" and manage the sunflares directly from the scatterer directory.

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll give it a try and report back. :-) 

[in silly French accent] "A Few Moments Lateeerrrrrr"

So, I have discovered that the sunflares are in-fact working..... kind of. They just don't look anything like they do in the official Spectra pics. The issue appears to be the intensity setting in the Spectra sun config file. However, HalCoJoe's flare intensity settings are in fact identical to the original Sunflares of Maar mod. So the difference in appearance must be due to a change in how Scatterer renders the flares. 

The solution: up the intensity in the Spectra sun config file.

Edited by rextable

44 minutes ago, geostationary_coffee said:

It appears that the "dustiness" of Duna has gone down in the new version:

http://imgur.com/a/brHeVR8

I'm on Linux. Any fix?

I reckon that "dustiness" is actually Scatterer's atmosphere. Unfortunately I know nothing about Scatterer's settings or what they do so I can't help you tweak them to your liking. However Scatterer does have a user guide linked in its download folder. Why not have a look there :-)

Apologies if this has already been reported (looked at previous pages but there's 57 of them) but...

There is a very nasty transition on Minmus as you go from a very high orbit to a low orbit. It's being caused by the Minmus' Scatterer teal glow. It looks fine from far away and lovely close up, it's just that middle part.... ya know... as you approach :D. The quick and dirty fix is to set the the 4th column in the colour row of the MinmusGlowTeal object in the EVE_atmoMain Spectra config file to zero. Doing so effectively makes the glow invisible.

I reckon the problem could be solved properly with the Scatterer configuration tool, but it's beyond me and I haven't the patience. Soz.

On 10/2/2021 at 9:54 PM, geostationary_coffee said:

It appears that the "dustiness" of Duna has gone down in the new version:

http://imgur.com/a/brHeVR8

I'm on Linux. Any fix?

Just wanted to pop in here and say I managed to fix this! @rextable was mostly right, I deleted /GameData/Spectra/Spectra_scatterer/Planets/Duna and atmospheric dust levels went back up again (it also made Duna's Auroras a lot more noticeable).

@HafCoJoe If I remember correctly this is similar to a bug on the previous version that gave Duna a white atmosphere. That bug looked like it was being caused by a conflict between Spectra and Scatterer and the solution was to delete Spectra_scatterer. Looks like the conflict might still be there.

(entirely unrelated sidenote: can someone point me in the right direction to independently install KSPRC city lights?  Installing CKAN seems like a hassle and I haven't been able to find this individual mod.)

1 hour ago, geostationary_coffee said:

Just wanted to pop in here and say I managed to fix this! @rextable was mostly right, I deleted /GameData/Spectra/Spectra_scatterer/Planets/Duna and atmospheric dust levels went back up again (it also made Duna's Auroras a lot more noticeable).

@HafCoJoe If I remember correctly this is similar to a bug on the previous version that gave Duna a white atmosphere. That bug looked like it was being caused by a conflict between Spectra and Scatterer and the solution was to delete Spectra_scatterer. Looks like the conflict might still be there.

(entirely unrelated sidenote: can someone point me in the right direction to independently install KSPRC city lights?  Installing CKAN seems like a hassle and I haven't been able to find this individual mod.)

Being "mostly right" is something I guess :sticktongue: :D

Hello,

Newbie set of questions here as well as some observations. I installed the lastest version of Spectra (via CKNA) along with EVE redux, Scatterer and Distant Object continued. Everything seems to work fine. However, Kerbin clouds at the edge of the planet's dark side are extremely contrasted and colorful (especially purple). It didn't use to be like this. Is it normal?

okLtqug.jpeg

Subsidiary question concerning EVE config file w/ Spectra. Sorry if it has been ask tons of times but is this config file automatically created by Spectra and ready to use? When I open CKAN I have this little tab that indicates a conflict:

noyznkQ.jpeg

I'd also like to thank the author of this mod for recent improvements (unless the credit is on EVE Redux side), but I noticed huge performance gains between this version and previous one I played with.

Best regards, F.

Edited by BARRAGAN

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all:

Afraid I'm popping in to second @BARRAGAN's report. I've also noticed a strange over-saturation of the colors post update (not just the terminator as previously reported, but also through atmosphere - screenshots in the spoiler). For whatever reason, the loading screen is unaffected, but both views from loaded craft and from the tracking station are affected. It seems to only affect Kerbin thus far, but I hadn't made it out of Kerbin's SOI on this run prior to the update dropping so I can't say for sure (tracking station views seem fine). It almost seems like there was some saturation value that got set abnormally high during the last update, but I can't seem to find anything in skimming the config files that would be a likely culprit. Sadly, this has persisted through a variety of different uninstalls, reinstalls, and downgrades. Spectra is an amazing mod and I'm not going to stop using it, but if anyone has any ideas as to what this could be or how to fix it, I would appreciate it.

Spoiler

Normal colors:

K8jS1gU.png

Over-colored (this happens a lot further in from the limb than expected - it's particularly noticeable to the lower left here):

rkQN7vI.png

Hands down THE best visual mod for KSP, just gorgeous! And what's more important - stable. Thank you for your time and dedication! You definitely  have an eye for beauty.

I just wish there were dust storms on Dune, other than that - perfect IMHO

On 10/25/2021 at 7:42 AM, The_only_spaceace said:

just a question, is this compatible with paralax?

Seems so - i run both of these

On 10/23/2021 at 3:25 AM, waefre_1 said:

Hey all:

Afraid I'm popping in to second @BARRAGAN's report. I've also noticed a strange over-saturation of the colors post update (not just the terminator as previously reported, but also through atmosphere - screenshots in the spoiler). For whatever reason, the loading screen is unaffected, but both views from loaded craft and from the tracking station are affected. It seems to only affect Kerbin thus far, but I hadn't made it out of Kerbin's SOI on this run prior to the update dropping so I can't say for sure (tracking station views seem fine). It almost seems like there was some saturation value that got set abnormally high during the last update, but I can't seem to find anything in skimming the config files that would be a likely culprit. Sadly, this has persisted through a variety of different uninstalls, reinstalls, and downgrades. Spectra is an amazing mod and I'm not going to stop using it, but if anyone has any ideas as to what this could be or how to fix it, I would appreciate it.

Reveal hidden contents

Normal colors:

K8jS1gU.png

Over-colored (this happens a lot further in from the limb than expected - it's particularly noticeable to the lower left here):

rkQN7vI.png

You can actually adjust those things yourself - just read a couple of pages back, OP already provided instructions. What you are looking for is "extinctionThickness" and "extinctionTint"

On 10/4/2021 at 11:17 AM, geostationary_coffee said:

You can adjust atmosphere 'orb' yourself actually if you want to keep changes to Duna that Specta brings. You need to adjust "experimentalAtmoScale" value in "Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Spectra\Spectra_scatterer\Planets\Duna\atmo.cfg"

On 10/28/2021 at 8:33 AM, DPOHbl4 said:

...You can actually adjust those things yourself - just read a couple of pages back, OP already provided instructions. What you are looking for is "extinctionThickness" and "extinctionTint"...

Good call - setting the extinctionThickness back down to 1 seemed to do the trick (given the context of the post you're talking about, I'd wonder if there was a Scatterer update around then as well that I'd simply forgotten or didn't notice). Thanks for the tip!

On 11/2/2021 at 7:00 PM, geostationary_coffee said:

I'll look into that…what do I need to change this value to?

Just follow the instructions from this post by OP to play around with values using Scatterer GUI and determine which one suits you. Obviously you have to chose Duna instead of Kerbin and 'experimentalAtmoScale'value instead of the ones OP mentions, all the other actions are pretty much the same. (Remember that you have to edit atmo.cfg file directly to apply those values it won't work otherwise)

On 4/9/2021 at 9:35 AM, HafCoJoe said:

It is possible, but its a bit annoying to do since the save button in the Scatterer GUI doesn't actually save. I can walk you through it though:

1. View Kerbin in-game and press Alt+F11 to pull up the Scatterer GUI:

J3T0Oay.png

2. Press the 'right' arrow at the top of the GUI to select Config point 1 (the upper-most config point):

QLsxy2D.png

3. Locate 'Extinction Tint (scaled+local)' and 'Extinction Thickness (scaled+local)':

HQTY6XJ.png
Mess around with these values and press 'Set' to make the changes visible in game. Once you get values you like, remember them but do not press ' Save atmo'. This doesn't actually save, and instead might be breaking things unseen.

4. Open the Scatterer config for Kerbin's atmosphere, located at 'Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Spectra\Spectra_scatterer\Planets\Kerbin\atmos.cfg' and scroll down to config point 1 (The last item/item with an altitude of 250000):

rfImqJl.png
Replace the values of 'extinctionThickness = 2.5' and 'extinctionTint = 1.5' with the variables you want, then press save to make these changes permanent. [note, do not mess with skyExtinctionTint, this is something else]

Done! You have now changed the extinction tint and thickness of the top most config point of Kerbin, changing the red-ness on the planets extinction. I hope this helps?

On 11/4/2021 at 5:47 PM, DPOHbl4 said:

Just follow the instructions from this post by OP to play around with values using Scatterer GUI and determine which one suits you. Obviously you have to chose Duna instead of Kerbin and 'experimentalAtmoScale'value instead of the ones OP mentions, all the other actions are pretty much the same. (Remember that you have to edit atmo.cfg file directly to apply those values it won't work otherwise)

I tried that…it didn't work. If I leave the Duna folder in Spectra_scatterer in place Scatterer's in-game menu actually doesn't show an option for Duna, but if I delete that file Duna's scatterer options reappear. 

It appears to me the Duna folder in Spectra_Scatterer is disabling all Scatterer options for that particular planet. 

I've installed the new version and KSP crashes. I tried on Mac and Windows. On Windows it crashes when loading cloud textures. On Mac it manages to load the main menu, but when I start a new game or load an existing one, it crashes (though I suspect it may happen because Mac's graphics card is too weak). Does someone else have similar problems?

Spectra comes with written plugins, right? Does it use other sources from github?

If so, this might be of interest: Some popular libraries were hacked...

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/popular-coa-npm-library-hijacked-to-steal-user-passwords/

If not affected, just forget about this sidenote. But there was kinda big alert in my RL job about this issue.

Edited by Rakete