[1.12.3] Spectra Visual Compilation 1.6.2 "Horizons" (26th July 2022)

HafCoJoe

Actually it seems to be caused by Spectra and not scatterer, since without Spectra it loads fine. The log shows Scatterer not being able to locate files even though I installed Spectra via CKAN.

Edit: It turns out I just have to wait a decent time after the game music ends. It also works with loading the space center scene now. Time to try it with my 10.618x rescale.
Edit 2: so the rescale works fine with loading the main menu, but loading a space center scene is where it crashes. for context I'm using Rescale continued.

Edit 3: Finally found out that if I just switch to the og Rescale, everything works fine. yay! Only issue is that since the sun is larger the sunflare is tiny.

Edited by KerbalOnKerbin

On 1/16/2023 at 2:02 PM, AstralMinerNCC1701 said:

I am experiencing a few problems with this mod and I tried troubleshooting this by removing and re-downloading both EVE and Scatterer but the planets still look like this:

Reveal hidden contents

Kerbin:

h4_EDHuaRR0Y1-lPbMpg_P-aAHHYtWdP4TyJgWf4

Eve:

CetrSZSZ1g5or2CHt2Sl6QEC0jWcYCpjJ-eL2cgr

Duna:

9QO1bCeK594MyoLbqh5Donfr7KYnObVy29Xyi5Tw

Jool:

KgCiLQBlkw5Nl3dEGByad0UqRXL2tnChbVxzXgRV

Laythe:

t3VSErnHIqDdSaanAqHZUmw0Frcs2GUWmbunHZzr

I'm sorry for any inconveniences but I really want to use this mod and I am clueless on what to do. Thank you.

Your images aren't loading sorry :/

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2023 at 7:19 AM, HafCoJoe said:

Your images aren't loading sorry :/

Sorry this is so late but I have found the mod which cause the problem which is Scatterer. It also seems that only Jool and Eve are affected now.

With Scatterer:

Spoiler

bP3wGM35oZ2O3BZF4mAbgwBmH7vfJ3ByUg6pKT9I

6N3rRZzPl9ntUbCpHejVPE6YnkZ3pf4NCSI7vD0F

Without Scatterer:

Spoiler

015Qj1dCkpE8i3foSDwLHmmwarGNKCB2OATfs5AJ

AMWts8Bi2ZF9ht2orlsidqubxrAjG4sM-dtpJwv6

If the images don't work, try this link to a google drive album: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dXovQ7_vaH_sfL1wdXFqjsW_Q5OOwVFo/view?usp=sharing

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, lunarpilott said:

Hey there :D
I have an issue, my kerbin looks like this https://imgur.com/a/ntBEnhP
It seems like it is a little too light or vibrant to what the images of kerbin look like on this post.
Can it be tufx? Or maybe another reason?
If you could help i would be happy!

Thanks ;)

Hello! :D Your picture looks normal to me; some of the OP images may be from older versions of the pack

Hello @HafCoJoe

I've seen the new EVE redux volumetric clouds update. It looks amazing and I wanted to give it a whirl. Have you tested it yet alongside with Spectra? Any risks of compatibility issues that we should  expect (for instance with the 64k clouds plugin) or tweak tips that we sould be aware of or is it all good? 

Have a nice week-end

f.

On 2/25/2023 at 5:52 AM, BARRAGAN said:

Hello @HafCoJoe

I've seen the new EVE redux volumetric clouds update. It looks amazing and I wanted to give it a whirl. Have you tested it yet alongside with Spectra? Any risks of compatibility issues that we should  expect (for instance with the 64k clouds plugin) or tweak tips that we sould be aware of or is it all good? 

Have a nice week-end

f.

Greetings :) You can run both alongside, although Spectra's configs haven't been rewritten to include them yet; if you run both, it will draw the default EVE volumetric clouds (with their own layers), plus all of Spectra's too. So effectively, it will create double the cloud layers. It works, but some planets look suboptimal. I've been away from KSP and so haven't had the time or energy to upkeep with the new changes. Sorry :(

To anyone who wants it, I am unsure if this is allowed (DM me if not), here is a config that works with the volumetric clouds. I make no claims about this other than I think it will add all the special effects to planets (laythe glow, aurora, lightning, etc) without making that ugly extra cloud texture show up. Reply to me and let me know if this is broken and I can attempt to do something (if I see your reply at all lol).

To use this, copy the block of text and paste it into a new text file. Save that text file as "EVE_Main.cfg". Drop this in GameData/Spectra/Spectra_EVE and overwrite EVE_Main.cfg.

https://pastebin.com/VZ009YDj

FYI literally all I did was remove any instance I could find of cloud textures being loaded that wasn't obviously another feature of some kind.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2023 at 11:18 AM, StormxWolf said:

To anyone who wants it, I am unsure if this is allowed (DM me if not), here is a config that works with the volumetric clouds. I make no claims about this other than I think it will add all the special effects to planets (laythe glow, aurora, lightning, etc) without making that ugly extra cloud texture show up. Reply to me and let me know if this is broken and I can attempt to do something (if I see your reply at all lol).

To use this, copy the block of text and paste it into a new text file. Save that text file as "EVE_Main.cfg". Drop this in GameData/Spectra/Spectra_EVE and overwrite EVE_Main.cfg.

FYI literally all I did was remove any instance I could find of cloud textures being loaded that wasn't obviously another feature of some kind.

Thank you! I tested it out and it seems to work nicely :). One thing I noticed is there is a defined layer of "atmosphere" that loads in above the clouds that you kind of clip through, but this might be because I'm using Galileo's Rescale! 2.5x configs.

Edited by MagicCuboid

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question regarding the secondary sun support of Jool on Laythe: my guess is that the "joollight" does not take into account the times when Laythe is directly behind jool and there is no reflection of jool to be had? Or does the eclipseCasting selfcast its own light and neutralizes the issue?

Edit: Tested it myself; unfortunately it does indeed illuminate the Laythe when on Jool's unlit side.:(

Edited by Iodyne

On 3/6/2023 at 5:18 PM, StormxWolf said:

And what about add volumetric layers to those extra effects you say, like the aurora? It would be cool to see volumetric auroras

I want to try out Spectra and I see a bunch of extra files in CKAN

Which ones do I have to install exactly to make it look the the screenshots from the starting post, more specific the scatterer ones? Just the clouds?

Edited by Ferio

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/5/2023 at 4:35 PM, Ferio said:

I want to try out Spectra and I see a bunch of extra files in CKAN

Which ones do I have to install exactly to make it look the the screenshots from the starting post, more specific the scatterer ones? Just the clouds?

I'm pretty sure that if you download Spectra Scatterer on CKAN and just install the dependencies it asks for, it will work nicely. Spectra Scatterer vibrant sunsets would be an optional extra that I don't use because it says it can cause artifacting, but it might be worth it if you want to prioritise planetside aesthetics.

I actually came to post to ask if this error is related to Spectra? It seems to be to my untrained eye:

[LOG 01:34:00.335] [EVE CloudsManager]: Applying 2D clouds...
[LOG 01:34:00.342] [EVE CloudsManager]: Clouds2D is now SCALED
[LOG 01:34:00.342] [EVE CloudsManager]: CloudsPQS: (EVE Clouds: JoolAtmoGreenStock) OnSphereInactive
[LOG 01:34:00.342] [EVE CloudsManager]: Clouds2D is now SCALED
[WRN 01:34:00.346] Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'EVE PQS'
[LOG 01:34:00.359] [EVE CloudsManager]: Cannot find Jool to apply to main Menu!
[LOG 01:34:00.359] [EVE CloudsManager]: PQS Applied

Should I worry about this? It seems like it could be important. Just happening to Jool when a cloud layer is being applied. I get the error 5 times in total after getting to the menu screen.

Edit: I forgot about this, and originally was why I decided to carefully reinstall all my mods. After installing Spectra Scatterer I get this Exception after every 3D scene change:

[WRN 02:19:25.378] File 'F:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Scatterer/config/PluginData/pluginData.cfg' does not exist
[ERR 02:19:25.379] [Scatterer][Error] Couldn't load pluginData System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KSPCommunityFixes.Modding.TypeCache.Read (System.Object host, ConfigNode node) [0x0002e] in <1ab895c297764334bc8ca0487ca3a837>:0 
  at KSPCommunityFixes.Modding.PersistentIConfigNode.ConfigNode_ReadObject_Prefix (System.Object obj, ConfigNode node, System.Boolean& __result) [0x00014] in <1ab895c297764334bc8ca0487ca3a837>:0 
  at (wrapper dynamic-method) ConfigNode.ConfigNode.ReadObject_Patch1(object,ConfigNode)
  at (wrapper dynamic-method) ConfigNode.ConfigNode.LoadObjectFromConfig_Patch2(object,ConfigNode,int,bool)
  at ConfigNode.LoadObjectFromConfig (System.Object obj, ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0 
  at scatterer.PluginDataReadWrite.loadPluginData () [0x00015] in <684aa87c0d2345f8a9e4739403f4afff>:0 

I have installed via CKAN, following the instructions from this page, so at first I assumed this was expected behaviour, but as it happens so often and I have not seen this reported by anyone else, I assume it must be just happening to me. A similar message also fills up the logs when it tries to save, also after a scene change.

After a while I also seem to get this being Spammed more and more frequently:

[ERR 02:33:38.463] [Scatterer][Error] Destroying duplicate instance, check your install for duplicate scatterer folders, or nested GameData folders

I tried just adding the config file from scatterer, assuming maybe it was just an oversight, but that causes the game to spam even more messages about multiple instances. Tried a lot of similar solutions and this seems to be the least error ridden setup; so is this intended and people have just got so jaded about error messages in KSP logs that I am the first to ask about it? If not, I'll submit my logs with a bug report.

Update: I seem to have managed to get rid of, or reduced, some of these errors by manually installing Spectra and then copying the spectra_scatterer files into Scatterer's directory, as the zip file documentation says is an option; though some of the directory structure seemed to need a bit of tweaking to match scatterers. @HafCoJoe are you sure you have the CKAN files set up to install as intended alongside scatterer or have I just made the error log happy, without actually improving things? For instance, am I not supposed to have a PluginData\pluginData.cfg as the mod is packaged on CKAN?

Update v1.0.1: @HafCoJoe Sorry for bothering you, I think most of the information I've posted here is irrelevant, unhelpful, or inaccurate. To save you time and confusion if you haven't read this yet, I just wanted to let you know that:

• The duplicate/destroying instance error seems to only appear when switching to the VAB/SPH, logging twice in a row, as far as I can tell. Probably insignificant/expected, but thought I should mention it.
  • The loading/saving exception that happens on most scene changes, usually once or twice for each one, goes away if I add the default pluginData.cfg from the Scatter Default Config.
  • Sorry if the following was nothing to do with your mod: I got a bit obsessed with trying to work out the 'Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'EVE PQS' errors, which seem to be exclusive to custom Jool cloud layers (JoolLightning/JoolAurora etc), but also crop up for specific gas giants in some planet packs and Spectra is not a dependency of these.
  • Moving the spectra_scatterer files over to Scatterer was probably a bad idea, as it needs custom editing of the paths referenced in one or two of the sprectra_scatterer config files (at the very least) to function correctly.
    • Just moving copying the pluginData.cfg to Scatterer and leaving everything as-is after the CKAN install seems to achieve the desired result.

A couple of questions related to all this; Is the omission of plginData.cfg from the Spectra Scatterer CKAN install intentional? Is the omission of Caustics.png and Caustics2.png also intentional? If yes to pluginData, is there are way to stop those repeated exception errors being logged, even if (or because), they are not relevant.

Lastly, I never mentioned how much I liked this mod. It really spruces up the aesthetics/GFX in subtle yet significant ways, and the fallback atmosphere if scatterer isn't installed is a really nice feature too. Thanks for the time and effort you put into this.

Edited by Llamageddon
Correction/update of information

Hi,

I leave this as a reference for people like me who wants to have Spectra running alongside the visual enhancements provided by AVP for OPM (Outer Planet Mods), because at a first glance, they're incompatible, but not anymore with those simple following steps !

- Install Spectra (preferably from CKAN)

- Install AVP (manually)

- In the Gamedata/AstronomersVisualPack folder, remove those folders :

- AVP_Effects
        - AVP_LoadingScreens
        - AVP_Skybox

- In the AVP_Scatterer/Planets folder, remove the folders : Duna, Jool, Kerbin, Laythe.

- In the AVP_Configs/Stock folder, remove everything except the Textures.cfg

And now enjoy your favorite visual mod, with sweet OPM visuals :cool: 

How Spectral, isn't it ? :sticktongue:
Peace

Edited by kurgut

Hi,

Is there any way to turn down the brightness of eve? Right now it is incredibly blinding.

BaPJ28M.png

Not sure if its supposed to be like this, but would appreciate some help.

Edited by KarlJ
punctuation

Hi ! 
I'm getting an error on Duna : When I get close (from 140km to >~110km), scatterer effects completly shuts off, and complains in the log :

Raymarched volumetric clouds error on planet: DunaSystem.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at scatterer.EVEReflectionHandler.mapEVEVolumetrics (System.String celestialBodyName, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] EVEvolumetrics) [0x00156] in <684aa87c0d2345f8a9e4739403f4afff>:0

I had this error on my main install, so this is a test KSP install with only fresh install of spectra, and main releases of EVE and Scatterer.

Please find my my KSP.log here : https://www.dropbox.com/s/ftic9lit09rsy3r/KSP.log?dl=0

Thanks for your help ! :) 

Peace

Hi again :)

Question :

Upon investigating my issue above (see update below), I noticed this regarding scatterer :

- when in the beginning range of scatterer effect, in flight scene, so eg. for Duna, the atmo "layer" seems to be very thin, causing those visuals :

tRNbVmI.png

- as you get closer, this eventually is not visible anymore, since your angle relative to the surface is shallower :

tfskR3c.png

- It kinda takes of the immersion, since when you switched from scatterer scaled to local, there's a "slight" haha switch in visuals ^^
- this is a test install with scatterer and spectra installed from CKAN

- How could it be improved, should I increase the layer thickness in your scatterer configs ? IIRC yours is slightly thiner than default scatterer one, I think this might be the cause, as it interacts weirdly with the clouds textures...

- Update regarding above issue : I tried many things... But once I didn't expect, is I tried replacing EVE and scatterer with the patreon test branch of Raymarched Volumetrics (but without the StockVolumetricClouds folder), and the Nullref is gone..! Who knows what happens:D

Thanks in advance for your help !

Peace

• 3 months later...

When installing Spectra scatterer using ckan it conflicts with scatterer default config and scatterer sunflare in witch is need for scatterer (sense they are dependences) and this mod has scatterer as a dependent. So how am I supposed to install it?

Edited by jetblade545