E1cspso.png

Visual Compilation

"You are the closest to adventure, when you are the farthest from home." - Joe Hafner

Less compressed Vimeo link and other videos:

Spoiler

[Placeholder]

Hey, Avera9eJoe here. :)

Spectra is an ultimatum of a visual pack. A well optimized and yet breathtakingly beautiful revamp of all celestial bodies in KSP. Fly through the geysers on Minmus and Eeloo. Soar across Laythe's glittering bioluminescent sky. Skip across the dust on Minmus, Pol, and Vall. Descend through Eve's mystic clouds. Or like they say, die trying.

In a nutshell Spectra is designed with these players in mind:

• Streamers: While made to be pretty Spectra is as optimized as possible. It runs very well on a high end system and there are ways to squeeze out extra performance as well if need be. In terms of pure FPS values, it's a dead tie with SVE.
  • Film makers: This pack is my interpretation of the greatest visuals in KSP. An ultimate cinematic suite.
  • Stock part purists: Spectra does not effect the stock parts, colliders, or physics. This adds visual effects and no more, meaning it runs exactly the same as an un-modded game. Just prettier.
  • Nostalgic veterans: Many visual packs have risen and fallen over the years, and in making Spectra I'm taking the best concepts of each, expanding on them, and then applying them to an updated visual pack reminiscent of old. KSPRC's surface textures, Stock Visual Enhancement's storms, Better Atmosphere's glow, Astronomer's colors, it's all there. The credits at the bottom of the page highlights this in more detail. It's a lot to live up to, and I hope it meets your expectations.

Standard pictures:

Spoiler

Images are 2560x1440p - Open them in new tabs for more detail :)

Sunflare

Spoiler

OmRa6kI.png

Sunflare is a dimmed down variant of JadeOfMaar's Phi so as not to be too distracting. All of his textures are fantastic!

Moho

Spoiler

LXPmHJT.png

iU8ZOra.png

Like a number of effects in Spectra, the original concept for Moho's ablation comes from Proot's KSPRC. Incredible :)

Xdz5Zlb.png

0B1Hvp7.png

Eve:

Spoiler

5vl3big.png

Darker purple than default Scatterer. The surface is barely visible through the cloud cover - You'll need surface scans to ensure you're landing on something dry.

3vrYQFM.png

The green glow is inspired by one of the earlier releases of KSPRC. Sad to say but it's been removed since then. Spectra adds it back!

Xcbicmw.png

Lightning! The original concept comes from Astronomer, though Galileo takes credit for the way they flicker. Check out GPP if you want to see more lightning! Incredible planet pack.

hJPfwi4.png

Upper atmosphere at sunset. It's usually far more pink.

uT1jJ88.png

Yellow sulfuric clouds drift periodically across the surface. Probably don't smell too good.

JciAWCj.png

Sunsets are yellow too.

Gilly

Spoiler

F7jwpew.png

pfNIfwA.png

Fluffy! Looks so soft your feet would sink into it... oh yeah, Kerbal feet already do *COUGH* *POOR COLLIDER* *COUGH* I mean, what? :blush:

Kerbin

Spoiler

QZyO0Ts.png

Kerbin is more dark blue than in default Scatterer

KlIyWZX.png

YA3f4J0.png

B3ViJtA.png

Two cloud layers always keep the skies interesting

h40VNH4.png

Mün

Spoiler

o5vNZwJ.png

Qx0fa1I.png

Rather bland in comparison to it's smaller, bluer friend. You have to start somewhere though!

u54wIS0.png

One small step for Kerbal...

Minmus

Spoiler

83Sp0A0.png

Minmus looks like a big, frozen, minty popsicle. The concept for the bluer haze comes from HatBat's personal feedback. Thank you!

pEOxe3v.png

ABjLwom.png

The drifting fog complements the terrain nicely

Duna

Spoiler

gSP9XKO.png

Duna's blue hue was inspired by Better Atmospheres

lyKiI5H.png

The view from Ike

xWuAuUh.png

Clouds are very sparse; barely visible in these pictures

GYA20mo.png

If you look close you can see a thin cloud in the dead center of this picture. They're far more visible during time warp or from orbit. I kept them very thin as Duna has barely any atmosphere at all.

kb8yluP.png

At the north pole

cSUpMGY.png

Ike

Spoiler

DlXjAup.png

AtPlufN.png

Look at the sunlight on those rocks! This is why I decided to use Proot's KSPRC terrain. This is why I couldn't accept second best.

JtKA1yc.png

Hnnnnngh!

OVfoMhV.png

Dres

Spoiler

0wfpNUg.png

U5nzN2d.png

eYcm8hW.png

~The scar~

b0mLcfh.png

A bit of green in the terrain makes Dres somewhat unique - what it is or how it got there I'll leave up to your imagination... :)

Jool

Spoiler

4AT0k48.png

YC1EhIa.png

If you look closely in game you can see the clouds move. It's very subtle but enough to keep the surface interesting if you stare.

mohJ0S1.png

Jool's aurora is a swirling mix of pink and blue

Laythe

Spoiler

p1MyDYY.png

Auroras, lightning, swirling storms, bioluminescence, what is there not to love about Laythe!

On1SjQo.png

I kept Laythe's atmosphere similar in color to Kerbin. It's only a slight bit brighter.

WqsWhEc.png

Bioluminescence was originally inspired by Astronomer, though Spectra takes it a step farther by changing them from clouds into dots that flicker in the "wind" (UVNoise the same way Jool's clouds move). Their real-life counterpart is bioluminescent plankton, Though in this case they're in the sky, not the sea (Possible extra though)

AnAxWDs.png

Islands closer to the poles make excellent viewing sites... just make sure to land on a side with Jool!

r3SjIfa.png

Terrain gets rockier the higher up.

FGvBgH4.png

Beaches either have dark wind-swept dunes or smooth bright sand depending on where you land.

m3yycvT.png

The bioluminescence is high in the atmosphere so it takes a while to reach, but is enchanting to fly with once you're there.

Vall

Spoiler

FXoGA8Q.png

Warm :)

sAo5ekj.png

I was able to make Vall's terrain textures very, very interesting because of it's varied features. I should also mention that Vall is my favorite moon!

NHsLR06.png

Vall and Minmus both share a blue mist. If you thought Vall was pretty before Spectra, you'll be blown away by her now.

Tylo

Spoiler

XVFaypg.png

C7d7eIl.png

No7R7No.png

Tylo is the only planet I'm still not convinced on. Due to it's bright tan terrain, large size, and lack of atmosphere it is extremely difficult to hide tiling without scaling textures up to massive proportions. It looks fine from the surface and fine from orbit, but descent looks awful. Improvements will come as soon as I find a way.

Bop

Spoiler

uzVdMg0.png

fyAXeqY.png

Terrain scatters are beautiful on Bop - especially around the terminator

6f42UTO.png

Pol

Spoiler

9VvQ5we.png

Many packs have added a glowing Pol, and like with Minmus while it is unrealistic, it increases its beauty tenfold.

KQzVkT7.jpg

A thick sulfuric fog coats the surface to give Pol it's distinct glow.

a9auHUs.png

Who couldn't forget those iconic spires!

Eeloo

Spoiler

d2jDLbO.png

There's a feint mist covering the planet, almost as if it's drifting away...

4RId78s.png

mDu6rx7.png

Near the terminator

oHLg6Ya.png

Geysers are riddled across Eeloo's cracks. Their inspiration once again comes from KSPRC.

T8bkZhc.png

"If you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back at you..."

Imgur album link

Scatterer-less pictures:

Spoiler

Atmospheres that enable if Scatterer is not installed.

Eve

3iTMug1.png

Kerbin

NnrzUB8.png

Duna

iT8vp1Z.png

Jool

DIyMPAz.png

Laythe

3WqyAnx.png

Imgur album link

Spectra also works with SVT - there are instructions inside the download on how to set it up.

Download: https://www.spacedock.info/mod/1505/Spectra

Installation tutorial if you have trouble with the included instructions 

Licensing: Spectra is licensed as MIT, meaning you are free to edit and redistribute everything in Spectra so long as you give credit where it is due and don't add a more restrictive license. What's mine is yours, and what's yours is everyone else's.

Ways to improve performance: You have a few options at your disposal that can highly improve your fps:

• Remove some extras
    • RealPlume, PlanetShine, and DistantObjectEnhancement all tax your GPU. Removing one or more of them (Or any of the other extras) can improve your frames.
  • Remove Scatterer
    • Spectra has backup atmospheres that enable when Scatterer isn't in GameData. Removing Scatterer from GameData will dampen the experience, but greatly increase your performance.

Spectra not to your liking?

• Try SVE or Sci-Fi Visual Enhancements
    • Both of these packs are beautiful and unique in very different ways. Panzer1b and Galileo are both incredible modders, and I highly recommend their mods if Spectra doesn't suit your fancy. :)

Known issues:

• If you don't install the surface textures, planet surfaces are pasty white and bland (duh!).
  • WindowShine and Scatterer compatibility issue: When hacking into orbit with both WindowShine and Scatterer, the ocean flashes rapidly on screen. Fix by removing either WindowShine or Scatterer.

Credits:

@Proot's KSPRC v-0.7 PreRelease 3

• Proot's Kopernicus surface textures are being used in Spectra with a custom config I made to remove tiling and dim down their intensity since Spectra uses less intense planet textures

@blackrack's Scatterer

• Atmospheric scattering and tinting
  • Ocean shaders

@Valerian's PlanetShine

• PlanetShine is bundled into the original download to clear confusion with version checking. Base Albedo has been maxed in settings to create more interesting visuals, and quality has been lowered to reduce performance impact.

@JadeOfMaar's Sunflares of Maar

• Spectra uses a dimmed version of his Primus sunflare.

Inspiration:

@Astronomer's Astronomer's Visual Pack - Interstellar V2 - I can't thank you enough for what you've done for your ground breaking work on the aesthetics of KSP. Thank you!

• Bioluminescence on Laythe

@Proot's KSPRC v1.0.5 - concept image post by @drswagboss from December 2015. Focus your eyes on the textures from low-orbit.

@Galileo's SVT and GPP - Your works are incredible... Thanks for all the help and advice. :)

• Lightning
  • Terrain scatters

@erona's and @Thesonicgalaxy's Better Atmospheres - The original mod that added glow to non-atmospheric bodies. If you said this is where it all started, you wouldn't be wrong.

@panzer1b's Sci-Fi Pack - Your pack is incredible! If you don't have the PC to run Spectra, definitely try SciFi.

• Proving that planet glow can still be done in new EVE, and look even better than before.
Edited by Avera9eJoe
Update v1.1.7 to fix Kerbin's horrendous haze
  • Like 41

Ooh, auroras without needing to have a green Laythe. Duna sandstorms too? I'd add Planetshine to that list. And if you're delving beyond environments; Destruction Effects, ven's revamp, and the re-entry improved mod that adds unused stock assets.

Edited by Spartwo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Spartwo said:

Ooh, auroras without needing to have a green Laythe. Duna sandstorms too? I'd add Planetshine to that list. And if you're delving beyond environments; Destruction Effects, ven's revamp, and the re-entry improved mod that adds unused stock assets.

Yep :) I'm already planning on adding all of those (ty for reminding me of reentry particles!) except for Ven's revamp - as much as I love his models, I'm not including it it because it changes how parts behave. I'm running this modpack to work the same as a stock install, but with the most enhanced visuals I can make.

• Like 4

True, ven's docking bumpers aren't part of the stock game but with the exception of that not much changes. At least with the slight stripped edition I'm using. 

Yay for sandstorms though!

• Like 1

Cool Idea! 

maybe instead of Ven's maybe build in Porkjets revamp parts?

Edited by Nightside
  • Like 1

any idea why Scatterer breaks the vacuum glow when these bodies have no atmospheres?

32 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

any idea why Scatterer breaks the vacuum glow when these bodies have no atmospheres?

Oh - those configs are outdated I should update them. Check back in half an hour? Reminder though that this is just WIP and not an official release :P

Edited by Avera9eJoe
  • Like 1

My desktop when combining SVT configs with KSPRC textures :)

X2nXR4P.png

• Like 3

On 4/22/2017 at 8:17 PM, Drew Kerman said:

so have the configs been updated for planet glow?

Yep :) the DL at the top should have it

Edited by Avera9eJoe

On 4/19/2017 at 6:41 PM, jlcarneiro said:

Err... what about computer requirements? :blush:

Also wondering about that...

It sounds great though (if the computer doesn't explode)

1 hour ago, qzgy said:

Also wondering about that...

It sounds great though (if the computer doesn't explode)

:L It's probably going to be a PC melter... as much as one can be in 64 bit :P It's meant for my own and @HatBat's cinematics as well as normal play 

Just now, Avera9eJoe said:

:L It's probably going to be a PC melter... as much as one can be in 64 bit :P It's meant for my own and @HatBat's cinematics as well as normal play 

So... not too bad? Even with maybe around 100 tabs in firefox?

Edited by qzgy
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, qzgy said:

So... not too bad? Even with maybe around 100 tabs in firefox?

Hopefully not bad... can't say anything for sure though as it's not done :D ... :P

Edited by Avera9eJoe

3 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

The DL at the top should already have it yes

the scatterer notes text file says it will still mess up vacuum glow, but I tried it anyways and didn't see anything. Is there something special I need besides the config for the glow and the two textures assigned within? That's all I really want to from this pack.

When I installed everything from the zip file the glows showed up fine, but when I replaced EVE, Scatterer, TextureReplacer with my versions (1.2.2.1, 0.0300 and 2.5.4 respectively) the glow went away. Is it not compatible with the latest EVE? I noticed Scatterer wasn't the latest either as the cloud colors didn't change along the terminator

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drew Kerman said:

the scatterer notes text file says it will still mess up vacuum glow, but I tried it anyways and didn't see anything. Is there something special I need besides the config for the glow and the two textures assigned within? That's all I really want to from this pack.

When I installed everything from the zip file the glows showed up fine, but when I replaced EVE, Scatterer, TextureReplacer with my versions (1.2.2.1, 0.0300 and 2.5.4 respectively) the glow went away. Is it not compatible with the latest EVE? I noticed Scatterer wasn't the latest either as the cloud colors didn't change along the terminator

Ah forgot to delete that .txt file :P It was a not to myself that I put in before I restarted and I just forgot to delete it. Everything is behaving the correct way in that file - just not finished and not refined.

Going live in a few minutes on twitch. I don't know how long I'll be live but I'm going to test out that new Scatterer preview that @blackrack posted inside Spectra :) - Also showing off the KSPRC textures by @Proot, which I'll be including instructions on installing them alongside Spectra with some custom configs and settings.

Edited by Avera9eJoe
  • Like 1

Just swapped out my own installs of pretty much all these mods for the zip ones. How did you get the skybox to shift to black when there's a light source? I love it. Surpised windowshine wasn't included. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spartwo said:

Just swapped out my own installs of pretty much all these mods for the zip ones. How did you get the skybox to shift to black when there's a light source? I love it. Surpised windowshine wasn't included. 

I think it's Distant Object enhancement - I should put WindowShine in... surprised I forgot to yet. :>

Major update! v0.3

I've gotten to a point with KSPRC configs that I'm ready to send them out for feedback. Please if you have any suggestions for them tell me what you'd want different either here or through PM and I'll answer.

Edited by Avera9eJoe
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Cheesecake said:

Is KSPRC replacing SVT? Because in 0.3 is no SVT included.

Sort of. In the future I'll be including SVT inside the official download since I have Galileo's permission to do so. If you remove the 'Spectra' and 'KSPRC' folders then you should be able to install SVT. I didn't include it in this DL because I'm testing KSPRC though :P - I'm customizing the heck out of KSPRC (and also stealing bits if code and textures from SVT) but leaving SVT the way that Galileo's made it. Hope that answers?

Edited by Avera9eJoe

9 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Sort of. In the future I'll be including SVT inside the official download since I have Galileo's permission to do so. If you remove the 'Spectra' and 'KSPRC' folders then you should be able to install SVT. I didn't include it in this DL because I'm testing KSPRC though :P - I'm customizing the heck out of KSPRC (and also stealing bits if code and textures from SVT) but leaving SVT the way that Galileo's made it. Hope that answers?

If you want save on download size, you could just make it an MM cfg so you aren't creating a monster download

• Like 2