[1.12.3] Spectra Visual Compilation 1.6.2 "Horizons" (26th July 2022)

HafCoJoe

5 hours ago, KaitoSSB said:

From what I understand there's always been the issue with Kopernicus where solar panels won't work if it isn't a compatible version. Best bet is to wait until Kopernicus is updated for 1.7.1 or just play on an older build of KSP until the update.

Yeah, my bad sorry. I read comments that Kopernicus worked with 1.7 but I must have been mistaken. Spectra works without Kopernicus, it just won't have any surface/orbital planet textures. Clouds will still work fine.

2 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Yeah, my bad sorry. I read comments that Kopernicus worked with 1.7 but I must have been mistaken. Spectra works without Kopernicus, it just won't have any surface/orbital planet textures. Clouds will still work fine.

Kopernicus didn't work with 1.7.1 until today!  :D  Spectra is looking mighty fine...great job @Avera9eJoe

4 hours ago, Jognt said:

Thread title says 1.7.1. It's not going to get more reliable than that :p

True that I suppose, just thought the download page would be up to date too. Either way, it doesn't matter as I can't get the download to complete. Keeps failing at ~230mb. Never trust a man when he says IPoAC is a good idea.

39 minutes ago, Confusedracoon said:

True that I suppose, just thought the download page would be up to date too. Either way, it doesn't matter as I can't get the download to complete. Keeps failing at ~230mb. Never trust a man when he says IPoAC is a good idea.

Also true. But usually the topic title is the first to be updated :)
IPoAC.. *shudder*

So I am seeing some strange surface textures with Spectra with a mostly clean Spectra install via CKAN.  This looks similar to a post made earlier that seemed to implicate FAR.  On my install it is a clean 1.7.1 KSP install.  Spectra va CKAN.  the only additional mods that I am running to support my testing is KSP AVC and linuxguru's FPS mod.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rV0m4bhixw3o9BGUr0iOfjh3zrXIFmH4

Edited by Galland1998

1 hour ago, Galland1998 said:

So I am seeing some strange surface textures with Spectra with a mostly clean Spectra install via CKAN.  This looks similar to a post made earlier that seemed to implicate FAR.  On my install it is a clean 1.7.1 KSP install.  Spectra va CKAN.  the only additional mods that I am running to support my testing is KSP AVC and linuxguru's FPS mod.

I've been seeing these images more and more as of late... :/ It never appeared while I was making the mod, but I see it from time to time as well. Does rebooting the game fix it at all?

1 hour ago, oniontrain said:

How much of a performance difference is this vs the default scatterer and EVE settings?

My Scatterer performance is the same as the standard settings, and my EVE performance is only slightly worse than the defaults. The better comparison would be between SVE and Spectra, and they run just about the same. The default EVE settings use a lot of UVnoise which tends to eat up frames. Spectra has a bunch more cloud layers but the particle density and number of layers is as optimized as I could get. Spent a good whole day swapping around settings and recording performance improvements before picking the ones that were best :)

Edited by Avera9eJoe

2 hours ago, Galland1998 said:

Just a hunch, but what resolution do you play at? I don't know on what reso @Avera9eJoe plays/works, but the pattern reminds me of aniso/lod distance scaling.

Edit: Could try LLG's AnyRes mods to see if resolution matters at all as it allows you to change reso on-the-fly.

Edited by Jognt

1 hour ago, Jognt said:

Just a hunch, but what resolution do you play at? I don't know on what reso @Avera9eJoe plays/works, but the pattern reminds me of aniso/lod distance scaling.

Edit: Could try LLG's AnyRes mods to see if resolution matters at all as it allows you to change reso on-the-fly.

Good question. I play at 1440p.

On 6/11/2019 at 2:16 PM, Galland1998 said:

Are you by chance using any of these switches?  -force-d3d11, -force-opengl or -force-glcore  If I remember right one of these causes that issue.

Everything looks great, but unfortunately Kopernicus absolutely cripples my framerate down to like 8FPS from around 20 or so around larger vessels. I thought it was Spectra, but I removed it and was still having terrible framerate issues. Turns out it was Kopernicus causing the problem, which I should have known better because it has always done this since like 1.3.

If I install Spectra without Kopernicus will everything have the regular stock textures or will it cause missing texture problems?

9 minutes ago, oniontrain said:

Everything looks great, but unfortunately Kopernicus absolutely cripples my framerate down to like 8FPS from around 20 or so around larger vessels. I thought it was Spectra, but I removed it and was still having terrible framerate issues. Turns out it was Kopernicus causing the problem, which I should have known better because it has always done this since like 1.3.

If I install Spectra without Kopernicus will everything have the regular stock textures or will it cause missing texture problems?

You'd still get clouds, bioluminescence, and other effects, but the planet surfaces/orbital textures would stay default.

Kopernicus is what changes the terrain textures (grass/mountain/sand/etc) surface scattering (trees/rocks/etc) and orbital planet textures, but almost everything else is handled by EVE. You can also still use my planet textures if you cut them from my Spectra/textures folder and paste them straight into TextureReplacer the same way you usually install custom planet textures.

I also labelled what each parent mod does in the first folder of the manual download so you can tell what you miss if you choose to not install one of them.

I hope this helps?

Edited by Avera9eJoe

8 minutes ago, oniontrain said:

I see this too but it has not affected previous versions of KSP.  This one is very pronounced and I believe I have narrowed it down to Kopernicus and terrain scatters.  Try disabling those and see what you get.  I also noted that with my career ship that it was lower than I thought it should be even with terrain scatters disabled.  I may spend time on why that is happening as well some time.  I have a github issue logged with performance graphs.  I read in some of the change logs that Thomas P did makes some changes related to scatters.

https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/issues/365

2 minutes ago, Joker58th said:

I see this too but it has not affected previous versions of KSP.  This one is very pronounced and I believe I have narrowed it down to Kopernicus and terrain scatters.  Try disabling those and see what you get.  I also noted that with my career ship that it was lower than I thought it should be even with terrain scatters disabled.  I may spend time on why that is happening as well some time.  I have a github issue logged with performance graphs.  I read in some of the change logs that Thomas P did makes some changes related to scatters.

https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/issues/365

I've been having performance drops with Kopernicus for a long time, I made a post in the thread about it a while ago. Before it was mostly just on the mun and I was getting seconds per frame around any vessel with more than like  a dozen parts. I'll try that and report back.

4 minutes ago, oniontrain said:

I've been having performance drops with Kopernicus for a long time, I made a post in the thread about it a while ago. Before it was mostly just on the mun and I was getting seconds per frame around any vessel with more than like  a dozen parts. I'll try that and report back.

Yeah, my test craft was very basic, only a few parts.  I think I will build a more complex lander and put it to the same test.  Like I said, my career lander, which has many parts, did not seem to perform as well as I thought it should with my system specs.  But one thing was really strange last night.  After I landed my career lander, I think it was running around 30FPS'ish, I closed out the game, came back in, went back to my lander and it was back to the full 60FPS.  Not sure what that was all about.

41 minutes ago, oniontrain said:

34 minutes ago, Joker58th said:

Yeah, my test craft was very basic, only a few parts.  I think I will build a more complex lander and put it to the same test.  Like I said, my career lander, which has many parts, did not seem to perform as well as I thought it should with my system specs.  But one thing was really strange last night.  After I landed my career lander, I think it was running around 30FPS'ish, I closed out the game, came back in, went back to my lander and it was back to the full 60FPS.  Not sure what that was all about.

Do you guys have BG installed?

2 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Do you guys have BG installed?

In my career save, yes.  For my testing, I tested with and without BG.  At least under the conditions of my tests, BG did not seem to have an effect.