KSP Challenge: Have you found a green monolith yet?

Darth Badie

vGZWk7S5hNyPP-1MDQgaXXfGbswiKk5zLFc-IQHv

Check out the amazing and creative space stations of our last challenge!

This week we have another theme for you: "Have you found a green monolith yet?"

If you have found one these rare easter eggs or more share your screenshots, videos or images. We want you to have fun and share it with the whole community! Thanks to @Just Jim for the idea and help! Now we have a new thread so you can share your ideas for new challenges! 

OK, guess I get to go first.

I've found most all of the ones in my Emiko career game, but finding the one on Kerbin itself turned out to be the hardest (because of all the other anomalies on Kerbin). But after some serious searching, I finally located this one hiding in a small valley near the south polar ice cap.

6CXDHlx.png

On 4/19/2017 at 2:15 PM, Rocketthrust said:

It is the big SQUAD thing with a military monkey?  Like the one near the KSC, or the magic bolder?  I might try this challenge :)

Yes, but there are also new green ones, and they're randomly generated, so they can show up just about anywhere.

Edited by Just Jim

Not every planet/moon had an Easter Egg until 1.2, when Squad gave each body the chance to spawn a green-tinted monolith in a random location on the planet. They're special, and harder to find as they aren't in predictable locations. That's what makes this a challenge!

3 minutes ago, Lupi said:

Not every planet/moon had an Easter Egg until 1.2, when Squad gave each body the chance to spawn a green-tinted monolith in a random location on the planet. They're special, and harder to find as they aren't in predictable locations. That's what makes this a challenge!

Yes, exactly! There is no real way to cheat, because they change locations from one game to the next, so no-one can can help someone else. In some ways it makes them more challenging to find than the older Easter eggs.

3 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Yes, exactly! There is no real way to cheat, because they change locations from one game to the next, so no-one can can help someone else. In some ways it makes them more challenging to find than the older Easter eggs.

RoveMate probe body for kerbnet is OP with its 100% anomaly detection though

5 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Rovemate is 100%???  

Working on source, but yes. 10 degree FOV, though.
https://clips.twitch.tv/TrappedTiredGooseKappaClaus

Don't think that'll preview as video, but my Duna expedition has just recently arrived at duna, and the mapping satellite I designed months ago has gotten to mapping. One of those anomalies is Curiosity i believe, so the other has to be a green monolith. Some lucky coincidence they were close together, though. 
588f8ad505.png 

I actually landed the base on stream last night, soon it'll be time to land the kerbals. Probably on my thursday stream.

Edited by Lupi

5 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Wow... that is OP...

Oh well, no biggie, this is all just for fun, so I suppose folks can make it as hard or easy for themselves as they want.... but personally, I wouldn't use the Rovemate.

I wouldn't say it's OP, only a 10 degree field of view makes it absolutely unweildy to use. I tried a ton of math to optimise what orbit to put it in so I got the best coverage per pass, only for that altitude to be an ike troll:
c29aea65ce.png 

Ultimately that ended up being like 2000km, firmly within the range of an ike troll. So i just settled on 1000km.
For a while, I was accidentally in a semisynchronous polar orbit, where i kept passing over the same spot on opposite sides of the planet. 

Edited by Lupi

21 minutes ago, probodobodyne said:

Can i find these new monoliths on every moon and planet?

I've found them on all of them, yes. Other than Jool, obviously. And I've found a couple on the moons in the Outer Planets mod, so for anyone out there with OPM, don't forget the moons of Sarnus!!!

18 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

...and are they detectable with KerbNet? I've been scanning Kerbin for them for weeks (with a KerbNet core capable of picking anomalies up) with no luck.

Yes, but Kerbin is tricky, because it has many other anomalies Kerbnet can pick up, including tracking stations scattered around the planet. It took me quite a while hunting them all down until I found the right one.

Edited by Just Jim

Just now, Just Jim said:

I've found them on all of them, yes. Other than Jool, obviously. And I've found a couple on the moons in the Outer Planets mod, so for anyone out there with OPM, don't forget the moons of Sarnus!!!

Yes, but Kerbin is tricky, because it has many other anomalies Kerbnet can pick up, including tracking stations scattered around the planet. It took me quite a while hunting them all down until I found the right one.

Hale should have the worlds most obvious monolith considering how tiny it is and Ovok should stand out massively against the white surface-you could probably spot it, quite literally, from space. And I've been babysitting the scanner in a polar orbit for an ingame week, and every ? that's come up has proved to be a tracking station or mundane monolith/other easter egg. I'm determined to find one on Kerbin, because I want to land my Flying Wing on it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.