KSP Challenge: Have you found a green monolith yet?

Darth Badie

6 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Non Squad planets DO NOT spawn them unless the devs put it in their planet pack :wink:

Wait.... you're the person that made the Galileo mod? Awesome!

First off: It's an honor to meet you.

Second: Because you've actually made a planet pack, I will gladly take your word for it. Thank you for confirming it!  :)

5 hours ago, Galileo said:

Non Squad planets DO NOT spawn them unless the devs put it in their planet pack :wink:

There was a question if the Greenolith are able on additional planets. We can say for sure now. Yes they are if the dev is a nice one? :D

Urses

6 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Wait.... you're the person that made the Galileo mod? Awesome!

First off: It's an honor to meet you.

Second: Because you've actually made a planet pack, I will gladly take your word for it. Thank you for confirming it!  :)

Please, you are the the one anyone should be honored to meet. I love The Saga of Emiko Station.

9 hours ago, Galileo said:

Please, you are the the one anyone should be honored to meet. I love The Saga of Emiko Station.

Thank you! Unfortunately until I finish Emiko I can't really switch planets, but I really respect how much work you've put into your planet pack, and look forward to someday getting to explore your solar system!

1 hour ago, klesh said:

The wiki apparently calls these green monoliths "meanie monoliths" in some areas.  I have never heard that term before seeing it on the wiki?

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/List_of_easter_eggs

However, the wiki page for monoliths hasnt been updated in almost a year and makes no mention of them at all.

I've been calling them "green meanies" for a while, but I honestly don't remember where I saw it first. It's a shout out to the Blue Meanies from the Beatles "Yellow Submarine" movie... I believe.

As for wiki, I'm not sure the green ones been out a year yet, so its not that surprising they're not mentioned.

Edited by Just Jim

In my 30% science return career play Green monoliths were pretty much my main source for advancing in the late tech tree. I actually hoarded the monoliths until my tech nodes became expensive to research and only then approached them. They became a good incentive for sending scanner probes and rovers everywhere.

2ys7K54.jpg

Edited by Enceos

14 hours ago, The Moose In Your House said:

Can you find it using kerbnet?

Yes, when you access kerbnet you'll open a little map window. An anomaly will show up as a little question mark on that map.

2 hours ago, Brotoro said:

Those are green? They look like regular monoliths to lil' ol' colorblind me.

You have to turn and catch them in the light just right... it's more of a very dark green tint than actual green.

Edited by Just Jim

Whohoo! I found one!
So, I just finished up building an science Mun Lander with some contract stuff and was getting ready to shoot up Bob up to the Mun, when a challenge came along to find a Green Monolith.
Never new the existance of them, nor been further then an Mun Fly-by (taking it easy in my first career), but this was a good reason to further up my game.
Put some extra seats on the lander and shot Bob up to meet with my LKO station to pick up Jeb and go for Minmus Monolith hunting. Since Minmus has lower Delta-V requirements for descent and ascent I thought it would be easier to take the hunt there instead of the Mun.
A second launch brought up a transfer stage which would bring the lander to Minmus which could also be left behind and serve as an 'big ol fuel tank' in Minmus SOI.

About half way to Minmus another idea caught my mind, making the challenge a real saga (at least for me), and another visit to the VAB was needed.
Bob and Jeb finally arrived in polar orbit of Minmus and with spamming the 'refresh' button I found an anomaly within a few orbits. Having trouble with creating a good marker for it I had to 'hop' a few spots till I got about one kilometer from something on the other side of the hill.
And there it was!
Meanwhile there were another 3 launches, off to Minmus, because what was even better to bring a Kerbal or 2 to the Monolith, why not bring all! my Kerbals to the Monolith, and so it happend :)

Just 2 mishaps, When trying to dock one of my spacebusses to the fuel tank in Minmus SOI I knocked of the (only) solar pannel, so it had to pick a ride with the Mun Lander and fuel tank, threw the Mun's SOI where it was undocked and contiunued it's way to Kerbin.
The Mun lander circulized and fulfilled it's contracts, with another whole bunch of 'worlds firsts' :)

Ah yeah, and the other mishap... 2 Kerbal said 'pooffhhh' on Minmus, they were moarned for 2 whole days...

(and since the space busses where not really intended to land on other planets, it was a good excersise in low gravity EVA's, since non of the 25 Kerbals thought of bringing a ladder...)

Some pictures of the voyage :)1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.