[Stock AND mod friendly] Absolute Air Speed Challenge 1.4.x

unless I'm short sighted and/or lazy to scroll down the pages (take your pick) this hasn't been proposed in 1.2 yet. Entries in versions 1.2 and over are accepted.

Rules have changed, please re-read them before entering. :)

Absolute Air Speed Challenge:

basic rules that apply to both stock classes:

-Any vehicle used in the challenge MUST be kerballed (except air lifters and transporters).

-The vehicle used to set your speed MUST stay under 70 000 metres at ALL TIMES.

-The vehicle must not kill ANY kerbal.

-The vehicle MUST be recovered after ANY record run.

-all record vehicles MUST be manually controlled.

-Cheats of ANY KIND are banned.

Rules:

Spoiler

Stock classes rules:

No Limits class:

-NO parts mods allowed (KER, Hyperedit... are allowed)

-Vehicle MUST be manually controlled at all times. SAS is allowed, mechjeb, kramax or similar mods are not.

-Vehicle MUST adhere to the basic rules.

-NO glitches, bugs, or other game loopholes may be exploited.

-Vehicle must have AT LEAST 1 control surface capable of creating lift.

-Staging is allowed as long as the final stage is recovered.

Box rule:

-NO parts mods allowed (mechjeb, KER, Hyperedit etc are allowed)

-Vehicle MUST be manually controlled at all times. SAS is allowed, mechjeb, kramax or similar mods are not.

-Vehicle MUST adhere to the basic rules.

-NO glitches, bugs, or other game loopholes may be exploited

-30 parts MAXIMUM

-3 engines MAXIMUM

-30 tonnes MAXIMUM fully loaded with fuel and crew

-record run MUST be below 50 000 metres at ALL TIMES

-1 drogue chute or air brake MINIMUM

-NO drop tanks on the record vehicle (all parts must be recovered).

-ALL parts MUST be visually attached.

-Staging is banned.

The others:

-ALL parts MUST be visually attached 

-part mods are ALLOWED, mods that change phsyics/aerodynamics are not.

-The vehicle used to set your record run MUST stay below 70 000 metres at all times.

-Vehicle MUST be manually controlled at all times. SAS is allowed, mechjeb, kramax or similar mods are not.

SCORING SYSTEM AND RECOGNITION RULES:

Spoiler

Take a screenshot of your vehicle in the SPH or VAB showing weight and parts count.

If you use any vehicle to transport your record vehicle take a screenshot before separation showing the speed.

Once the record run is set and the vehicle is recovered, take a screenshot of the F3 screen. If you use mac, use the combination

of the keys fn and F3 together to obtain this screen.

If your record vehicle is air launched the air speed of the mothership before separation will be deducted from the final top speed of your record vehicle.

There will be two leaderboards in each class: a speed leaderboard and a points leaderboard.

The scoring system is the following:

((top speed+distance)- mothership speed)/parts count=points   Whoever has the most points is the winner! Same goes for speed.

ENJOY AND GOOD LUCK!

PLEASE POST YOUR SUBMISSIONS IN THIS THREAD SO EVERYONE CAN SEE YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENT.

WINNERS GET BRAGGING RIGHTS UNTIL BEATEN.

Scoreboards:

Spoiler

Points leaderboard

1. @Cunjo Carl 175 points

2. @SpaceN00b 148 points

3. @CairoJack with 104 Points (old points)

Spoiler

Box Rule Speed record:

1. @Cunjo Carl 3515 m/s

2 @SpaceN00b 1412 m/s

Spoiler

No limits Speed record

1. @KenjiKrafts 2075 m/s

2. @CairoJack 1147 m/s

Edited by Raptor kerman
modified rules

29 minutes ago, Fireheart318 said:

Are cheats allowed? I don't see anything saying they aren't

58 minutes ago, Raptor kerman said:

-NO glitches, bugs, or other game loopholes may be exploited.

No cheats exploiting the game that is and record vehicles MUST be manually controlled.

10 minutes ago, Raptor kerman said:

No cheats exploiting the game that is and record vehicles MUST be manually controlled.

Debug menu? If that's allowed, my record is 2043.7m/s. That's not the fastest anyone's gone, however. Kerbalnaught holds that record at 2066.3m/s

Suggestion: if you want this to be a contest of proper aircraft, ban SAS units and cockpit torque, maybe lock engine gimbal as well; require that aircraft are controlled through aerodynamic forces.

Otherwise, based on past experience, it's going to be dominated by near-identical minimalist jet bullets with no control surfaces and virtually no wings.

EDIT: actually, on current rules, it's going to be rocket bullets. Limiting factor there is thermal; you may want to ban internal heatshields.

13 hours ago, Raptor kerman said:

The usage of the debug menu is not forbidden.

Eh?

Infinite fuel, zero gravity and no heating effects...

Edited by Wanderfound

28 parts, 26 tons, 3515m/s powered flight.

This one's designed to fly at escape velocity (westward even), but can hold itself in the atmosphere and fly comfortably using its huge pretilted wings. It's stable and manueverable using aerodynamic control at its cruising altitude of 33km, though it has a reaction wheel for the occasional mishap that sends it above 40km (generally from me snapping pictures). Any higher than 33km, and it loses fine flight control, meanwhile any lower and it burns to a crisp! I'm still working on drag reduction (to save on fuel), but this design represents the latest breakthrough in a long running project. I designed this particular plane from scratch for the challenge, trying to sneak it in under the 30 part limit, which it made handily in the end! Unfortunately I didn't read the rules carefully enough, because it's way overweight for the job. Still, it has some intense absolute airspeed, and should fit nicely in one of the fallback categories!

giffygif.gif

Thanks for the challenge, @Raptor kerman!

Edit: I just realized the gif shows a few versions of the plane so here's a closeup of the latest, used to catch the record.

Spoiler

image.jpg

Edited by Cunjo Carl

3 hours ago, Cunjo Carl said:

Sure!

Ok, I lost it, but I just made a good one that easily hit mach 4 before I had to slow it down due to overheating, which I will fix; are rockets allowed? and if so can you make a seperate jet-only list?

4 hours ago, RedPandaz said:

Ok, I lost it, but I just made a good one that easily hit mach 4 before I had to slow it down due to overheating, which I will fix; are rockets allowed? and if so can you make a seperate jet-only list?

Rocket engines are not forbidden in this competition, and there's no mention of wings, aero control or landing (beyond recovery), so our host is probably just fine with rocket designs. As for making a separate list, let's ping @Raptor kerman for a ruling.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.