Kerbal Dynamics: Ekranoplan Payload Challenge

17504465_966559996813331_138614417623574

So in case you missed it, the Ekranoplan is a Soviet-era ground effect vehicle designed to go very fast at very low altitudes with large cargoes. Originally conceived as a weapon delivery system, the Soviets realised early on that missile delivery was far more cost effective, so the Ekranoplan was relegated to moving troops and equipment in the Black Sea until the program was cancelled in 1985. These days the Ekranoplan concern builds vehicles for civilian use.

Note on the above prototype:

Super-stable "Ekranoplan" cargo platform. VERY nose-heavy, which is perfect with the huge amount of lift which means it goes just barely subsonic, at an indicated altitude of just 20 metres, with throttle at 15%! This thing went right around the planet (land and sea) in a little over 3.5 game-hours (with the odd diversion to avoid mountain ranges!). The only problem with a water landing meant that with it being so nose-heavy, it pitched down into the water with the slightest thrust, so it couldn't take off again. I had to slowboat it (after a water landing!) back to KSC, which took about 20 minutes. This prototype consists of a long cargo bay and two opening tail sections, and several airbreathing jets. Maximum payload length: whatever'll fit in the MK.3 CRG-100.

Oh. Right. This is a challenge page. OK. Here it is: build an Ekranoplan with a surface-deployable cargo (it can be a wheeled vehicle, pop-up rocket launcher, or a narrow-winged fixed wing aircraft or rotary wing), "fly" the Ekranoplan to the Island runway and *deploy the payload there*. Then "fly" the Ekranoplan back to the KSC shoreline and make a water landing.

RULES:

- Ekranoplan must be crewed by at least 1 Kerbal

- Ekranoplan must be internally fueled (no taking fuel from the payload)

- Payload must be functional and self-contained (power, comms, control and fuel)

- Cruise altitude over water may NOT exceed 20m.

Usual rules about bits breaking off, physics/exploit cheats etc., apply.

It is an interesting challenge.. except that KSP physic does not model ground effects which are the very basis of the Real-Life Ekranoplane.

I'm curious to see what kind if craft people will build though :D

2 hours ago, wibou7 said:

I'm curious to see what kind if craft people will build though :D

Right I'm ready to post my attempt.  Please let me introduce a rather special craft:

BARTINI BERIEV VVA-14 VTOL

STATS

Parts - 244
Weight - 90.136t
Height - 9.8m
Width - 25.6m
Length - 29.6m

VTOL - 8 x J-33 Wheesley Turbofans
Starter Engines (Blast air under the wing cavity to create lift - 2 x J-33 Wheesley Turbofans
Cruising Engines - 2 J-90 Goliath Turbofan 

ACTION GROUPS

1 - Starter and Cruising Engines Toggle
2 - VTOL Engines Toggle
3. - VTOL Engine Bay Covers Toggle
4. - Reverse Thrusters (Goliath's Only)

CRAFT FILE

JABhHZs.png

an3w8qX.png

XxYhddv.png

MISSION REPORT

Edited by Speeding Mullet

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.