Progade vs. Posigrade

Cadet_BNSF

Prograde vs. posigrade  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer prograde or posigrade?

• Prograde
    • Posigrade

I prefer prograde, though apparently we are using it wrong - a satellite is moving prograde if it orbits a body in the same direction as the parent body is rotating. Retrograde means it is orbiting in the opposite direction. Usually, "thrusting prograde" means the same as "thrusting posigrade" because we usually launch rockets prograde, but in theory we could launch a satellite retrograde (east to west), in which case "thrusting prograde" would be ambiguous - do we mean in the direction the satellite is orbiting, or do we mean thrusting to take it from west to east?

Regardless, I voted "prograde" because I am used to it.

4 minutes ago, softweir said:

I prefer prograde, though apparently we are using it wrong - a satellite is moving prograde if it orbits a body in the same direction as the parent body is rotating. Retrograde means it is orbiting in the opposite direction. Usually, "thrusting prograde" means the same as "thrusting posigrade" because we usually launch rockets prograde, but in theory we could launch a satellite retrograde (east to west), in which case "thrusting prograde" would be ambiguous - do we mean in the direction the satellite is orbiting, or do we mean thrusting to take it from west to east?

I thought prograde just meant with the direction of movement

How about tangential? It would work well with normal and radial (antitangential, antinormal, antiradial), as well as relating graphically to the orbit. Or parallel/antiparallel, which is an actual descriptor of vector relationships (parallel to the velocity) and would work well with that conception of the orbit.

As it is, :prograde: is called "prograde" in my mind. But CoaDE has begun to change that, favoring "tangential."

I get the idea of why you'd want to use "posigrade", since "prograde" and "retrograde" do double duty in identifying orbits which match or oppose the angular momentum of basically everything else in the system. Ideally, we would use "posigrade" and "antigrade" for thrust vectors while leaving "prograde" and "retrograde" to identify orbital directions. But "retrothrusters" would then make no sense, so it's probably better to just use context and be done with it.

Rather than inventing or repurposing portmanteaus, we need a set of fresh new words to represent these directions.

I'll get the ball rolling with:

Gorp - "prograde"

Dorp - "retrograde"

Lorp - Normal

Zorp - Anti-Normal

Porp - Radial

Worp - Anti-Radial

"Burn 25m/s Gorp"

41 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Rather than inventing or repurposing portmanteaus, we need a set of fresh new words to represent these directions.

I'll get the ball rolling with:

Gorp - "prograde"

Dorp - "retrograde"

Lorp - Normal

Zorp - Anti-Normal

Porp - Radial

Worp - Anti-Radial

"Prepare for worp speed!"

"Warp speed?"

"No, not warp; worp. We need to change the argument of our periapse."

13 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

"Prepare for worp speed!"

"Warp speed?"

"No, not warp; worp. We need to change the argument of our periapse."

Funnily enough, I almost went with "Worf" to start with but I didnt want to confuse my Klingon tactical officer.

ENGAGE GORPDRIVE

Edited by p1t1o

Normal - Upgrade

Antinormal - Downgrade

Radial/Antiradial - Sidegrade (nevermind which one, the first try always goes in the wrong direction)

"Oops, there goes the maneuver-node ..." - Tardigrade (from spanish tarde = late)

:-)

Edited by Green Baron

3 hours ago, Green Baron said:

Normal - Upgrade

Antinormal - Downgrade

Radial/Antiradial - Sidegrade (nevermind which one, the first try always goes in the wrong direction)

"Oops, there goes the maneuver-node ..." - Tardigrade (from spanish tarde = late)

:-)

I first read that as "tardisgrade..." which is usually synonymous with late anyway. :D

But then antinormal should be "delete" instead. :0.0:

10 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

I get the idea of why you'd want to use "posigrade", since "prograde" and "retrograde" do double duty in identifying orbits which match or oppose the angular momentum of basically everything else in the system. Ideally, we would use "posigrade" and "antigrade" for thrust vectors while leaving "prograde" and "retrograde" to identify orbital directions. But "retrothrusters" would then make no sense, so it's probably better to just use context and be done with it.

Well, then they'd be antithrusters, which the media would confuse with antimatter thrusters.

I can imagine the headlines now:

NASA tests Antimatter propulsion! Andromeda flight coming soon, one man says...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.