SpaceDock.info (Mod Hosting Site)

VITAS

Was sad to hear the news about KS, so hope this works out.

One question, for mod makers who previously used KerbalStuff, is it possible to reserve our usernames for the new site? I realise it's unlikely but it could be rather likely that someone may take a name before the mod author gets chance to register.

Also, does this collaboration between the new KS and CKAN means that it will become mandatory for mod authors to have their mods on CKAN, because I am not OK with that.

4 minutes ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

Was sad to hear the news about KS, so hope this works out.

One question, for mod makers who previously used KerbalStuff, is it possible to reserve our usernames for the new site? I realise it's unlikely but it could be rather likely that someone may take a name before the mod author gets chance to register.

Also, does this collaboration between the new KS and CKAN means that it will become mandatory for mod authors to have their mods on CKAN, because I am not OK with that.

New site, new registration will be required. New upload.

As far as combining the two and allowing all mods on the new site available on CKAN, that's still undecided, but the majority of people want this. It's a debate for another day. For now, it will be business as usual.

Edited by inigma

Just now, inigma said:

As far as combining the two and allowing all mods on the new site available on CKAN, that's still undecided, but the majority of people want this.

I agree with this. Make CKAN availability an opt-out thing.

Just now, inigma said:

I read the posts about that, so completely understand the privacy concerns. I'm just thinking, maybe there could be a period where only known mod authors are given the link to register an account, so they can be sure to get their previous username (or one that matches their forum name) before releasing it to the general masses? 

Just now, ZodiusInfuser said:

I read the posts about that, so completely understand the privacy concerns. I'm just thinking, maybe there could be a period where only known mod authors are given the link to register an account, so they can be sure to get their previous username (or one that matches their forum name) before releasing it to the general masses? 

SirCmpwn is in the #CKAN chat room now and will be removing personal details from the database dump so no, we will not be providing exclusive first-access. If there is a username squatting issue, VITAS is who you will want to talk to to resolve it.

Just now, StarStryder said:

Why? I could understand the concern of making CKAN only accept KS as a source but why on earth would you not want your mod on CKAN for no additional effort?

Because as a mod maker it creates so many user support issues with people not getting the mod working, and automatically assuming its the mods fault rather than an issue with CKAN. That's my personal view. Also i'm a bit sour as my mods were added to CKAN without my consent.

26 minutes ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

Because as a mod maker it creates so many user support issues with people not getting the mod working, and automatically assuming its the mods fault rather than an issue with CKAN. That's my personal view. Also i'm a bit sour as my mods were added to CKAN without my consent.

I was hesitant at first about ckan, since I was the manual type myself and I had enough support issues already (though most likely much less than you).

But after embracing it for some months now and looking back, I would guesstimate that it cut support issues at least in half. The install issues with wrong folder placement/module manager versions/incompatible mods and so on have largely disappeared, especially since I assumed direct control over the ckan metadata files regarding my mods.Thus after some inital getting used to, I effectively traded the most annoying/unnecessary support issues, for (now) simple and rare metadata textfile maintenance on github.

Edited by Yemo

45 minutes ago, Thomas P. said:

As the current lead developer of the software, I would like to make this function available, as long as noone has any complaints. You don't have to use it, it would be entirely optional, so don't worry ;)

This makes me happy, I don't use CKAN and if I do use it in the future I don't want it to be because I HAD to.

14 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

Why not call it Kerbal Space Dock? I like that more, and the domain is not taken under .com.

By not using Kerbal in the name they avoid one of the original issues that KerbalStuff had, getting sued for trademark infringement.  This would be a problem since it isn't official and the trademark is registered.

8 hours ago, Manwith Noname said:

Did you happen to read the front page of KerbalStuff?

Maybe we can ask SQUAD if they will let us use the name? If they can that would be very nice.

EDIT: I'll make a request in Kerbal Network to see if we can use the name legally.

EDIT 2: @inigma Just pinging you to get a fast response, sorry for annoyance.

Edited by legoclone09

13 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

Maybe we can ask SQUAD if they will let us use the name? If they can that would be very nice.

EDIT: I'll make a request in Kerbal Network to see if we can use the name legally.

EDIT 2: @inigma Just pinging you to get a fast response, sorry for annoyance.

SirCmpwn, the owner of KerbalStuff has requested that we change the name.

Hi.

A relative newbie tried to post here. However I'm into about 40-ish hours into a no-sleep marathon due to recent events, and ended up clicking the big red DELETE button instead.

Whoever you were, with the Linux and Python experience, apologies, and feel free to re-post. I'm off to bed. Someone who's more awake can approve the thing.

8 minutes ago, Electr0ninja said:

I would like to formally volunteer to help with this project.

I have several years of programming experience and some web development experience, as well as extensive Linux experience.

If there is any more information you would like just pm me.

https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.esper.net join descussion here. Hope the link works for you