The X Files thread

TheEpicSquared

I mostly enjoyed the X-Files, but how I like the new episodes depends on the direction they take. I didn't care for it as much when it became mostly focused on the conspiracy theory. I would have preferred to have more freak-of-the-week stand-alone episodes sprinkled in there.

4 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I mostly enjoyed the X-Files, but how I like the new episodes depends on the direction they take. I didn't care for it as much when it became mostly focused on the conspiracy theory. I would have preferred to have more freak-of-the-week stand-alone episodes sprinkled in there.

I'm in the middle of season 8, and yeah, the monster-of-the-week episodes are quite enjoyable.

Also, I'm probably the only person to exist who's favorite season 10 episode was Babylon. :P 

6 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I didn't care for it as much when it became mostly focused on the conspiracy theory.

Same, I didn't watch every episode and the series became somewhat difficult to follow at some point.  I've been meaning for years to go back and re-watch it but never got round to doing it.

I followed it closely and bought the DVD sets back when they were new and expensive. But around season 3, I began to get the feeling that they had no idea where they were going with it. I still liked the show up to around season 6, but by then it was clear that they were just going to keep adding new conspiracies without ever resolving or explaining any of the existing ones. After that it's pretty much just a blur, until the finale left me angry. And the movies were underwhelming. It makes me sad to admit, but I haven't even watched my DVDs in years. The only one of season 10 I even remember was the cute one with the lizard guy. 

They should have dumped the mytharc years ago and just gone with a monster of the week format. It was always the characters that people really liked anyway. 

i watched at least part of the series during its original run and then lost interest. ive been thinking about going back and rewatching them all.

Edited by Nuke

I was a major fan when it was on TV (I have the DVD box and I drink my coffee from an X-Files mug to this day), but I stopped watching it on the last seasons. "Recently" I re-watched the whole thing, and man, those last 3 seasons were bad. Boring, bad storytelling, bad writing, no central plot holding the thing together, and Monica Reyes is a bad, bad, recycled character with no arc.

On 22/04/2017 at 2:33 PM, StrandedonEarth said:

I didn't care for it as much when it became mostly focused on the conspiracy theory. I would have preferred to have more freak-of-the-week stand-alone episodes sprinkled in there.

In my opinion, the early conspiracy (seasons 1 through 5) was very good, even though it lost some steam just prior to the movie (which would have been an awesome show-ender, instead turned into the beginning of the long, boring end). But then it was ended in the movie and replaced by something that wasn't quite a central plot, didn't go anywhere, and was just plain silly. Then, in the 2016 reboot, it focuses on crackpot internet conspiracy theories from the real life rather than create something of its own like the original series did. The only two passable episodes are the Were-human (monster of the week) and the second one which draws on the very first episodes of the show.

I was severely underwhelmed at season 10, and expect nothing better from season 11 sadly.

12 hours ago, Nuke said:

i watched at least part of the series during its original run and then lost interest. ive been thinking about going back and rewatching them all.

Please, man. Ditch the last part, watch the beginning, up until season 5 and the first movie, then pretend the very last scene does not basically say "there will be more seasons".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.