=TKOL= The King of Laythe Challenge (BDArmory 3vs3 KOH AI Duels: Sci-fi future weapons)

13 hours ago, Magnavox said:

I want to throw my hat into the ring, now that I've got a plane that can perform reasonably. I have a question about setting up the AI pilot.

Are there any limitations to the settings for the AI pilot, Hard deck for the combat? Max airspeed? Engagement range? (I.E. range that the pilots will start shooting at each other).

I take it for the X-10 laser you're supposed to set it's gimbal limits to 0 so that it can only face in the direction it's mounted on the airframe?

There is no AI limitations. Regarding the X-10, you are right the gimbals should be limited to 0 so it has a fixed position.

TKOL 4th COMBAT: ZType(jrodriguez) vs 4B Dart (Magnavox) : 5 ROUNDS!

@Magnavox 
You gave a very entertaining fight :) 

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Round 4

Round 5 - Last round

ZType has defended the title with a very close win - 3 rounds vs 2 rounds of 4B Dart

Clearly I have to do more testing in the Laythe environment. My planes seemed to loose most often when they stalled out in overly hard turns and got shot to pieces. But I'm glad they went the distance.

Well, after extensive testing and tweaks.... technically I have a craft. Quite a good one too.

But:

On 22/04/2017 at 9:28 PM, jrodriguez said:

Your plane should be able to take off from water!

It does. Quite well. As long as a player is doing it.

The AI does not apply 100% pitch input, no matter what I tweak, and as such my plane is a very expensive boat in the hands of the AI. Give it to a player for (literally) 5 seconds and it is off to the skies.... no idea what to do about it. Any hints?

Just now, Aerolfos said:

Well, after extensive testing and tweaks.... technically I have a craft. Quite a good one too.

But:

It does. Quite well. As long as a player is doing it.

The AI does not apply 100% pitch input, no matter what I tweak, and as such my plane is a very expensive boat in the hands of the AI. Give it to a player for (literally) 5 seconds and it is off to the skies.... no idea what to do about it. Any hints?

Take Off speed reduction , torque wheels, aero brakes with pitch activated? 

Just now, jrodriguez said:

Take Off speed reduction , torque wheels, aero brakes with pitch activated? 

Take off speed at 100% pitch is about 20-30 m/s, I do not know how to lower that further. Torque wheels, well it's quite the aggressive turner, it might stall (even worse), AI really doesn't seem to care. Maybe I should try something like that. Airbrakes I already tried, nothing.

On 2017-5-14 at 1:35 PM, Aerolfos said:

Take off speed at 100% pitch is about 20-30 m/s, I do not know how to lower that further. Torque wheels, well it's quite the aggressive turner, it might stall (even worse), AI really doesn't seem to care. Maybe I should try something like that. Airbrakes I already tried, nothing.

If your craft will take off between 20-30 m/s in water, then set the takeoff speed to 20.

Takeoff Speed determines when the AI pilot begins to apply positive pitch to begin the takeoff. If it's set too high, the AI will not pitch up even though the plane is already going fast enough. Unless you built in some positive pitch such as having a longer nose gear than tail gear. 

On water if you leave the takeoff speed at 70 which is the default I believe, the plane may never reach that speed due to excessive drag from the water and therefore the AI will never try taking the plane off. 

It's best for water takeoffs to have the takeoff speed as low as you can. A fighter plane should have a lot of lift and so will take off at very low speeds unless you have your CoL well behind the CoM.

I always set take off speed at zero for everything, gets things in the air quickly and as yet the AI hasn't stalled one , For water take off the less junk you have in contact with the water the faster it'll lift off,   One of the earlier entrants couldn't take off via AI, and simply moving the intakes from underneath to on top allowed it to lift off and  fly readily

On 17/05/2017 at 6:14 PM, Magnavox said:

If your craft will take off between 20-30 m/s in water, then set the takeoff speed to 20.

Takeoff Speed determines when the AI pilot begins to apply positive pitch to begin the takeoff. If it's set too high, the AI will not pitch up even though the plane is already going fast enough. Unless you built in some positive pitch such as having a longer nose gear than tail gear. 

On water if you leave the takeoff speed at 70 which is the default I believe, the plane may never reach that speed due to excessive drag from the water and therefore the AI will never try taking the plane off. 

It's best for water takeoffs to have the takeoff speed as low as you can. A fighter plane should have a lot of lift and so will take off at very low speeds unless you have your CoL well behind the CoM.

I've tried everything from 10 (minimum) to 30. The problem is the AI is applying about 60-70% of maximum possible pitch when it does try to take off. A player applying 100% pitch at 20-30 m/s can take off easily, but the AI doesn't do that.

On 17/05/2017 at 6:52 PM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

I always set take off speed at zero for everything, gets things in the air quickly and as yet the AI hasn't stalled one , For water take off the less junk you have in contact with the water the faster it'll lift off,   One of the earlier entrants couldn't take off via AI, and simply moving the intakes from underneath to on top allowed it to lift off and  fly readily

...ah. I was building old style, trying to use intakes as floaters. No way to take off in old KSP unless you did that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.