Planets that can not be made.

I'd like to see surface variations, sandy/dusty, rocky, muddy, frozen that affect landing gear, kerbals, and wheels.

I'd also love to see some better landscape features, maybe some hand made detailed parts on planets that could be good for racing/base building. Things like arches, caves/caverns, difficult wastelands with boulders and cliffs, scenic canyons, etc.

39 minutes ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

I'd like to see surface variations, sandy/dusty, rocky, muddy, frozen that affect landing gear, kerbals, and wheels.

I'd also love to see some better landscape features, maybe some hand made detailed parts on planets that could be good for racing/base building. Things like arches, caves/caverns, difficult wastelands with boulders and cliffs, scenic canyons, etc.

Caves and caverns aren't possible, unless you could the one on Tylo, but everything else is. Just takes the right pqs mods in kopernicus to get you what you want

On 4/23/2017 at 0:56 AM, GregroxMun said:

• Mesklin. (An oblate, rapidly spinning, hyper-earth planet with 3 gee at the equator and 700 gee at the poles.)
  • Rocheworld (Two planets close enough to share an atmosphere such that you could fly an airplane/waterfall through.)
    • For an airless world this is possible with N-body physics, but you can't ever quite have working transfer between atmospheres because spheres of influence. Again this requires nonspherical atmospheres to function.

*SIGH* The reason why I am attempting to get a highly oblate world in KSP using Kopernicus is because I want to make a mod that adds a Meslkin like world into it, alongside a rocheworld as well. I could just rip Mesklin if I wanted, but I wnat to be unique... Can someone actually help me on oblateness...

1 hour ago, Galacticvoyager said:

*SIGH* The reason why I am attempting to get a highly oblate world in KSP using Kopernicus is because I want to make a mod that adds a Meslkin like world into it, alongside a rocheworld as well. I could just rip Mesklin if I wanted, but I wnat to be unique... Can someone actually help me on oblateness...

Oblateness turns out to be quite difficult.

So does literally everything about Mesklin. Believe me, I've tried building a planet like Mesklin so many times and using so many hacks, but things never work the way they need to.

One of the things to keep in mind is that the oblate shape of the planet needs to perfectly match the plane perpindicular to gravity in a given location. Unlike the classic Inaccessible, you shouldn't be pulled to the equator or flung out into space. Also the PQSMod_VertexHeightOblate appears to be both buggy and also does not actually result in a true oblate spheroid. And there's some question about whether or not Mesklin should even be oblate. A physics simulation assuming the composition is rock, water, and ice with electronic-degenerate matter in the core allegedly showed that the planet was lens-shaped instead of a smooth spheroid. But it would probably be different since Kerbal planets have all of their mass concentrated in the center.

I would say the closest thing we can get to Mesklin is a small dense airless body like inaccessible, just with more reasonable gravity/spin/shape that would match how centrifugal effects really work. Perhaps this could occupy the position of Haumea analogue in RevSSS+, if that ever gets made.

Edited by GregroxMun

• 2 weeks later...

A rocheworld isn't possible, but could planets be made close enough that their atmospheres are mere meters apart or at least close enough for a powerful aircraft to "vacuum dive" between them? I'd quite like that. If it's possible, I want one of the planets to have a lot of rivers and mountains

I wonder if you could make a cave filled planet by making a tiny one and then sticking a bunch of tylo-style caves on top of it?  I would love a "honeycomb" asteroid or something even bigger.  Imagine landing your rocket way down a huge hole where you need to steer slightly right and left to get out.  Sounds like a star wars planet.

EDIT:  like this

Edited by Rath

On 4/22/2017 at 7:08 PM, Gaarst said:

I think planets are the element of KSP that got the least improvement during its development. Other than adding new bodies or reworking terrains, nothing has ever been done AFAIK.

I support these improvements, though at this level it would probably require a complete rewrite of the planets generation. Fingers crossed for 1.5! (1.4 has to be a graphics/rocket parts revamp)

I just want caves

8 hours ago, Rath said:

I wonder if you could make a cave filled planet by making a tiny one and then sticking a bunch of tylo-style caves on top of it?  I would love a "honeycomb" asteroid or something even bigger.  Imagine landing your rocket way down a huge hole where you need to steer slightly right and left to get out.  Sounds like a star wars planet.

EDIT:  like this

right now the terrain can only have 1 altitude value for a given coordinate (LON/LAT)

a cave would require 3 (cave ground, cave ceiling, outdoor ground)

the only solution "readily" available would be to design a "building" that looks like a cave and load that on the planet using KK

12 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

right now the terrain can only have 1 altitude value for a given coordinate (LON/LAT)

a cave would require 3 (cave ground, cave ceiling, outdoor ground)

the only solution "readily" available would be to design a "building" that looks like a cave and load that on the planet using KK

That's what I was trying to say up above.  Make a small planet and cover it in a huge building with built in caves.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.