I want to explore RSS with kerbal sized rockets

beamthegreat

Is there any mods that allow me to play RSS as if I was playing vanilla KSP? I know I can use SMURFF or Realism overhaul to make the rockets realistic but I am sick of building huge 1000 ton asparagus monsters just to get a single kerbal to land on the moon.

I used KIDS in the past and had a blast exploring the real solar system with kerbal sized rockets but now its not supported and I can't find any alternatives. Help.

12 minutes ago, beamthegreat said:

Doesn't that just add parts to the game? In RSS you need 10 km/s just to reach orbit and 16 km/s to land on the moon so I'm looking for some mods that increases the dv so i can launch a normal spacecraft to orbit.

How about Stock Sized Real Solar System?

I feel you Bro. 

In short: you won't find what you need. But there are work around: 

In Smurff: you can tune a setting in the .cfg to make your rocket more Kerbal alike. Here is the answer of the mod creator of SMURFF when I ask him a question similar to yours: 

As also mentioned here: you'll need SpaceY. It is an amazing part pack that merge perfectly with the stock part. It'll give you a 5m part pack. It's mandatory in my opinion.

Be aware that even with those tips, you'll still find yourself in a harder game. From reentry to communications, everything will need your double attention.

But, this is how this game should have been since day 1 in my opinion because as you said: so much more epic!

I hope this help.

A third SpaceY. In addition when playing RSS it's absolutely vital to use either SMURFF or RealFuels w/ stock configs. The stock engines are very underpowered compared with real engines, this works fine in the kerbalverse, but when playing in RSS the underpowered engines make it extremely hard to put substantial payloads in orbit.

You might want to think about KSP Interstellar. It's a complicated mod, but one that will ultimately allow you to launch rockets and SSTOs on a kerbal scale (.65 - 3.75 m) in RSS. If you take the plunge, be aware that KSPI is a large and actively updated mod and will require lots of additional research (both in game and on forums) to discover the true potential of, however, like KSP in general I think it is well worth the effort.

As an example, I just made this SSTO that landed on Titan without refueling from KSC/Florida. Additional parts are from B9 mods.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.