Have you ever used 0,625m heatshield?

Numerlor

Yep, my first tiny Eve landers were supposed to use it. There were several of them intended to detach from the orbiter and land in various places. As it turns out, for some reason my probe cores heated up anyway. I ended up using larger, better-shielded probes. :\

I might try the concept again, but this time with the probe core further back in the stack... The problem then will just be antenna power.

8 hours ago, Ithirahad said:

Yep, my first tiny Eve landers were supposed to use it. There were several of them intended to detach from the orbiter and land in various places. As it turns out, for some reason my probe cores heated up anyway. I ended up using larger, better-shielded probes. :\

I might try the concept again, but this time with the probe core further back in the stack... The problem then will just be antenna power.

Heheh, try it with a shielded docking port instead.  It's got weirdly high thermal tolerance and acts as a budget airbrake if you open it.  I'm using one in the terminal stages of my fastest possible Kerbin launch to Eve landing project.

14 hours ago, Ithirahad said:

There's a couple of reasons that can happen. First there's only a couple of probe cores which fit, the OKTO2, and I believe the QBE, others will still have some skin poking out into the airstream, which is bad. Secondly, it's important to not directly attach the probe core to the heat shield because enough heat can conduct through to destroy the probe core with their puny 1200/1200 tolerances. Instead high-tolerance parts (i.e. reaction wheel, radial battery or cubic octagonal strut) should be used as a buffer.

Edited by blakemw

8 hours ago, blakemw said:

There's a couple of reasons that can happen. First there's only a couple of probe cores which fit, the OKTO2, and I believe the QBE, others will still have some skin poking out into the airstream, which is bad. Secondly, it's important to not directly attach the probe core to the heat shield because enough heat can conduct through to destroy the probe core with their puny 1200/1200 tolerances. Instead high-tolerance parts (i.e. reaction wheel, radial battery or cubic octagonal strut) should be used as a buffer.

It was an OKTO2, so I got that right... Unfortunately it was sitting right on top of the heatshield, with everything else above it. Next time I think I'll try heat shield -> Oscar-B fuel tank -> probe core -> battery instead.

I've found them useful for tiny probes and science return canisters. I imagine they might be useful for protecting small bits on the sides of Eve lander and such.

I've also found the make for perfect LM foot pads (or whatever they're called).

2017-04-27%2018-57-42.png

I'm blanking out on the name but some glorious fellow used them to absorb heat on the front of a stock 1800m/s rocket car a week or so ago.

On 4/23/2017 at 10:41 AM, Numerlor said:

Just started career with research buy in and I'm wondering if it is any use. Only thing that came to my mind is small manned ion probe that wwould need it to survive re-entry

I have never used it.  Presumably, it could be useful for science return capsules, but not much beyond that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.