Jettison Resources Please!!!

Can we please have the option to jettison resources please!!! All modern aircraft and spacecraft have this ability. If we can transfer resources between tanks it only makes sense that the plumbing could support jettisoning them as well. This has to be a a trivial tweak to add and would greatly enhance gameplay in many situations.

14 hours ago, g00bd0g said:

This has to be a a trivial tweak to add

It is:

//Add Jettison content to fuel tanks

@PART[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[*],!RESOURCE[Ore],!RESOURCE[ElectricCharge]]
	{
		MODULE
		{
			name = ModuleFuelJettison
		}
	}

Edited by steve_v
This editor is a turd

19 hours ago, steve_v said:

It is:

//Add Jettison content to fuel tanks

@PART[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[*],!RESOURCE[Ore],!RESOURCE[ElectricCharge]]
	{
		MODULE
		{
			name = ModuleFuelJettison
		}
	}

That's all or nothing per tank like stock ore tanks, isn't it? I'd much rather a tweakable or use the transfer interface for jettisoning fuel.

16 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

That's all or nothing per tank like stock ore tanks, isn't it? I'd much rather a tweakable or use the transfer interface for jettisoning fuel.

It is, and I agree. ModuleFuelJettison really wants a better UI, or as you say, add jettison to the existing fuel transfer UI (and disappear ModuleFuelJettison entirely).
Something as simple as changing the transfer "out" button to 'jettison" when no target tank is selected would do. We have magic fuel pumps already, there's no reason they can't pump into space.

That said, the MM patch above is certainly better than no jettison functionality at all.

Edited by steve_v

• 1 year later...
On 4/23/2017 at 9:48 PM, g00bd0g said:

All modern aircraft and spacecraft have this ability.

Hi.

A good desirable option. Maybe at a price (A part, a mass, a drag) by adding say a spigot on a tank (Or two, one for LOX, one for LF).

That would add a slight cost and some flexibility. You could assign a button to toggle it.

As for "All aircraft", well, no.

Aircraft still have to burn fuel to do a "Quick" return to the airport (When actual weight is over the maximum landing weight).

A fuel dump capability adds more maintenance check (More cost) for something rarely needed on a commercial airliner.

An aircraft might need such a thing on take-off if it can't climb with the lost of an engine. Not happening much with modern, reliable, OP engines.

Plus (It does happen) imagine say an A380 like aircraft accidentally dumping on the ramp in say JFK. Nightmare on more than one level.

If they can get the aircraft certified without then it doens't have one.

Even an aircraft that can dump will take a few (Or more than a few) minutes. It as to do with the size of the valve and the size of the tank.

ME

EDIT: Adding a plume of fuel from the spigot would be a cool visual.

Edited by Martian Emigrant

On 2/11/2019 at 9:28 AM, Martian Emigrant said:

Hi.

A good desirable option. Maybe at a price (A part, a mass, a drag) by adding say a spigot on a tank (Or two, one for LOX, one for LF).

That would add a slight cost and some flexibility. You could assign a button to toggle it.

As for "All aircraft", well, no.

Aircraft still have to burn fuel to do a "Quick" return to the airport (When actual weight is over the maximum landing weight).

A fuel dump capability adds more maintenance check (More cost) for something rarely needed on a commercial airliner.

An aircraft might need such a thing on take-off if it can't climb with the lost of an engine. Not happening much with modern, reliable, OP engines.

Plus (It does happen) imagine say an A380 like aircraft accidentally dumping on the ramp in say JFK. Nightmare on more than one level.

If they can get the aircraft certified without then it doens't have one.

Even an aircraft that can dump will take a few (Or more than a few) minutes. It as to do with the size of the valve and the size of the tank.

ME

EDIT: Adding a plume of fuel from the spigot would be a cool visual.

OK, not "ALL" aircraft, but quite a few military and commercial aircraft do. Purely FYI.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_dumping

7 hours ago, g00bd0g said:

OK, not "ALL" aircraft, but quite a few military and commercial aircraft do. Purely FYI.

Yes, you are correct.

No insult was meant. Apology given fully without restrictions.

It is a desirable option for designers. One that could/should be added to the game.

I have flown small business jets that did and some that didn't. As well as medium sized commercial airliners that didn't at all.

I understand that the Falcon 9 dumps gases after touchdown to secure the booster.

The stock part or the mod could have the look of the External Fuel Ducts. But could be staged like an engine, have an exhaust (Plume), have a burn rate like an engine with no thrust nor heat....(Well maybe in space we should have a small thrust).

Come to think of it that would give you the look of outgassing on the ground

If only I were smart enough to dig into the files and make one.

ME

2 minutes ago, Ozymandias_the_Goat said:

I believe Hyperedit (naughty word!) has a feature to change the resource content of a vessel. It’s convenient, but then again...

it’s cheating

Reveal hidden contents

technically ;)

This mod has the ability to jettison resources:

Hi guy, gals and kerbals.

I played around with the files and produced this as proof of concept:

I went to space to show that there is no thrust but forgot to reopen the NavBall.:blush:

I am pleased that the file organization is pretty much the way I imagined.

It looks like an engine could use any resource.

Burn Ore or Electricity looks possible.

I have no idea on how to sleek this up

how to publish it

and if it's allowed, so it is just for my own education.

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

YES! Sometimes I forget that this isn't a thing, and then realize I can't jettison fuel halfway through a mission, which can pose problems... But by then I'm already floating over Laythe, and there's nothing I can do.

And just because of my wording I now have "Moon Laythe is blue, and there's nothing I can do" stuck inside my head.

On 2/13/2019 at 8:54 AM, g00bd0g said:

Yes, long range civilian planes tend to have them as takeoff weight is larger than max landing weight. I assume military planes also have them, more so as they can refuel in air so cruising weight might be higher than even takeoff weight 
Plane companies prefer not to use it as dumped fuel is pollution so they probably get an fine. 
Was on an flight from US to Europe who had to turn around as secondary navigation system was down and they needed an backup to cross Atlantic.  They rather burned fuel rich on the way back, pilot informed us as engines sounded different. 
Shorter flight carry less fuel so you can usually just turn around and land, ran into this to then an nose wheel did not retract. 

Now for KSP its multiple uses for this first is like real world, lighten an plane to land, you might also want to lighten before deorbit. Also the issue with having both nuclear and standard rockets its easy to get balance issues. 
So dumping oxidizer would be very useful here. 
Tend to use RSC to burn extra monopropelant during burn 

Edited by magnemoe

I think I saw this proposed a while back in conjunction with a reusable heat shield (this is before Elon proposed it for Starship). Basically you would have lightweight stick-on tiles that could be placed edge to edge on any surface and assigned to bleed resources (fuel, ox, monoprop, even xenon or ore) as ablator. Such a part could also be used to dump resources.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 3:25 PM, Martian Emigrant said:

I went to space to show that there is no thrust but forgot to reopen the NavBall.:blush:

how to publish it

ME

I would add one that has a value that looks like the standard rcs thruster because that bulky release value in not that sleek. However nice work

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 5:02 AM, sevenperforce said:

I think I saw this proposed a while back in conjunction with a reusable heat shield (this is before Elon proposed it for Starship). Basically you would have lightweight stick-on tiles that could be placed edge to edge on any surface and assigned to bleed resources (fuel, ox, monoprop, even xenon or ore) as ablator. Such a part could also be used to dump resources.

that would be nice, also making sure you can carry the resource from flight so if your building a space shuttle you can get away with not having to land anywhere

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/14/2019 at 6:25 PM, Martian Emigrant said:

how to publish it

ME

You should published that. This is exactly what I need.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.