Advice on finding the cause of phantom forces

So this happened to me in 1.2.1, that's why I gave up, and now finally started playing 1.2.2 and the same thing happens. :huh:

Sometimes, and sometimes not, my interplanetary transfers are ruined by a mysterious constant drift of my orbit: I plan the node, burn it, perfect, go back to it later on and find my ship wwway off the intended target planet.

Now yesterday it was time for the first travel to another planet. Joo'ls window just came up and I had a couple of contracts, so why not... well, think again, Rosco, 'cos those phantom forces are back.

I got the problematic ship in a quicksave after I burned the node, so perfect for experimentation. I hacked the ship (several iterations of it actually, to discard clipping) into a new "un-modded" KSP (except for DMagic Orbital Sience, because the ship uses parts from it) and no drifting there. So I then started adding mods... one mod, no problem, two mods, no problem, three... ALL of them, still no phantom forces.

I then did the opposite, started with the drifting orbit and all the mods and begun removing them, one, two, same deal, ship's still happily drifting away from Jool... or not... last mod I tried and the problem was still there, only to disappear later on for no reason other than I restarted the game?

So, what else there is to do? What else could I try? Any suggestions? Logs say nothing about a problem that I could see, BTW.

2 hours ago, Rosco P. Coltrane said:

and the problem was still there, only to disappear later on for no reason other than I restarted the game?

You are restarting the game in between adding/removing each mod, right? Are you adding and removing the mods in the same order each time? It is often easiest to remove half the mods each time, between restarts. Sounds like maybe you need multiple restarts between mod removals?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.