Mars in three years -- Trump

Please for the love of all that is good and holy, don't make this political....

...but in his live phone call with the ISS astronauts, Trump stated he is not satisfied with NASA's plan to put astronauts on Mars by 2030 (a plan he just recently signed funding for) and instead wants astronauts on Mars by the end of his first term, in 2020.

Thoughts?

Very hard to seperate from politics, but Mars in 3 years? Seems like an incredibly tight schedule [to do it with a hint of a care for safety and with a realistic budget]. And thats not even taking into account the 6 month journey to get there.

Unless we dont need to bring the astronauts back, in which case its probably doable. And if they dont have to be alive when they land, then its probably even trivial.

I dont imagine the lifespan of topics with "trump" literally in the title to be very long though :wink:

10 minutes ago, IllyrianTheGreat said:

what if they skip testing?

Send crew on an untested spacecraft on the longest mission in history with no way to escape for the vast majority of the trip, just for political reasons. Sounds like a great idea. I'm sure that NASA, and the American people will fully support this. It's not dangerous after all, just alternative safety.

1 minute ago, HebaruSan said:

Could be bluster, could be madness, could be a secretly serious plan.

My guess is #1. Pretty sure the guy doesn't know a rocket engine from a turnip.
Then again, given some things a certain person of power has said in the past... #2 isn't much less likely.

2 minutes ago, Linear said:

Lets not ignore the fact if Obama said it, this thread would contain discussions on how we could do it, rather than why it's stupid.

Personally, I's say it's stupid no matter who said it.

Just now, Linear said:

Lets not ignore the fact if Obama said it, this thread would contain discussions on how we could do it, rather than why it's stupid.

This is in fact true. Both sides suffer from name_here-derangement-syndrome. Gore said on one of the late night shows that the core of the Earth was 10 million degrees, for example. Ask random people on the street, and they likely think something like this is possible, it's just a matter of money as well.

I suppose it's a plus that he's in favor of something substantial, but the timeframes required inside 4 years are not remotely plausible, even with private public partnerships, and ridiculous amounts of money.

1 minute ago, steve_v said:

Personally, I's say it's stupid no matter who said it.

Me, too.