Clueless on "Get satellite on specific orbit"

Hello everybody! Let me first say that I'm not good at the game, I don't play enough to be. And this game is hard :D

I saw this mission and it seemed hard, I decided to give a shot, found it to be indeed hard, but to hell with it, pulled some determination and decided to brute force my way through it.

I didn't research, as sometimes researching for answers and understanding those answers is just as hard as the game itself lol, just kept trying.

EVENTUALLY, I managed to get closer and closer and imo I think I did it. But the game disagrees :(

Can someone tell me what's not right with this orbit? What else does it want me to do??

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/807677528827255614/AD33189835CE06902AE709FE76C406C8A4A360AD/

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/807677528827255500/63F35F3EA190B803E2DF73958A0F18CA03A1B4A2/

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/807677528827255391/81B2BBF0EAEF4E679E3211B3DD99699F3C27FAF4/

1 hour ago, Harry Rhodan said:

99.9999% of these threads is people simply going in the wrong direction. Hover your mouse over the AN/DN, if it says 180° your orbit is in the wrong direction.

May be just me seeing what I expect to see, but seems that the orbits drawing show exactly that. 2nd and 3rd screenshot target orbit goes clockwise, vessel goes counter-clockwise.

1 hour ago, Cpt. Zeke said:

decided to brute force my way through it.

I know that if brute force don't solve your problem is often because you are not using enough. However while you are spanking the problem try to understood why something is working or not. In this case try to understand how each burn is affecting your orbit and why the same burn at different points of your orbit give different results. Learn from your mistakes .

1 hour ago, monstah said:

It seems to me it's just about precision. The periapsis seems good enough, but the apoapsis could go up a little bit. Try kicking it up a bit and see if it works :)

The mission states "with reasonable deviation" and this close should be more than close enough. Either way I've tried like a hundred minor adjusts so doesn't seem to be that :sticktongue:

"99.9999% of these threads is people simply going in the wrong direction. Hover your mouse over the AN/DN, if it says 180° your orbit is in the wrong direction."

See it doesn't matter much if it's something that occurs 99.9999% of the time, if it's information that the game doesn't tell you. I don't have a "AN/DN", if you look at the picture. In fact from the top of my head I'm not even sure what "AN/DN" is.

"I would check your inclination, chances are you are 180degrees off"

And where do I check that, if you don't mind me asking :sticktongue:

31 minutes ago, Spricigo said:

I know that if brute force don't solve your problem is often because you are not using enough. However while you are spanking the problem try to understood why something is working or not. In this case try to understand how each burn is affecting your orbit and why the same burn at different points of your orbit give different results. Learn from your mistakes .

Er... Not sure what you're trying to say really other than stating the obvious.

14 minutes ago, Cpt. Zeke said:

I don't have a "AN/DN", if you look at the picture. In fact from the top of my head I'm not even sure what "AN/DN" is

You do have AN/DN, and they are shown in all your pictures. There are 4 markers on the contract (green) orbit, two of them are Ap/Pe, the other two are AN/DN.

AN/DN are Ascending/Descending Nodes, btw. These are standard orbital mechanics terms and you can wiki them for definition and explanation.

Edited by FancyMouse

2 minutes ago, FancyMouse said:

You do have AN/DN, and they are shown in all your pictures. There are 4 markers on the contract (green) orbit, two of them are Ap/Pe, the other two are AN/DN.

AN/DN are Ascending/Descending Nodes, btw. These are standard orbital mechanics terms and you can wiki them for definition and explanation.

Those are the parameters...? How do I compare mine to them like you do with Ap/Pe if there's only 1 set of AN/DN?

7 minutes ago, Cpt. Zeke said:

Those are the parameters...? How do I compare mine to them like you do with Ap/Pe if there's only 1 set of AN/DN?

You don't compare to something else. The inclination shown on AN/DN is itself a comparison between your orbit and the desired contract orbit. So you just need to make sure the inclination shows a value 0 degree. If it shows something like 1 or 2 degrees, it means you still need to adjust your inclination (start from putting a maneuver at AN/DN). If it shows 180 degrees, then you're totally going in wrong direction.

To me that looks close enough to trigger contract completion were you headed in the right direction.  The good money is your orbit is backwards, for sure.

Edit, oh lookie, 1,000 posts.  Yay.

Edited by klesh

1 hour ago, klesh said:

Edit, oh lookie, 1,000 posts.  Yay.

Haha congratz :D

Dang man it was so much effort and from what yall are saying I'll have to do everything again ;.;

Edit: Did it again didn't take like half the time of the first try, boosted the opposite way and completed the mission :D thank you guys!

Edited by Cpt. Zeke

1 hour ago, Cpt. Zeke said:

Er... Not sure what you're trying to say really other than stating the obvious.

well... this kind of contracts is actually fairly simple when you know what to do. But how you describe it  seems like you mostly performed the manuevers at random without even noticing which ones helped you and which ones were a waste of fuel and effort.  Looks like you had a opportunity to learn a bit about the game, either by experimenting or seeking help, and missed it.

And something like:

I didn't research, as sometimes researching for answers and understanding those answers is just as hard as the game itself lol

make me wonder why you waste your time and our time asking something you already decided it was too difficult to undertand the answers. Personally, I think that if you don't know you can learn, and if you know you can teach. And there is no shame in teach or learning something.

But my intention was not to pratonise you. I'm really there to offer some help. If you decide to accept our help just ask and we will do our best. Just notice we are all human and as such sometimes feel disrespected and become distressfull.

Peace

To fix you orbit(If you still have enough fuel):

1)Point and hold :prograde: prograde direction  and burn to get a highly eliptical orbit. Somewhere beyond minmus orbit may be enough, ideally as far as you can within Kerbin's Sphere of Influence (SoI)

2)Wait until the ship reqach the highest point of your orbit (apoapsis) point to :retrograde: retrograde (but don't hold retrograde, hold orientation instead) and burn until you have the same speed in the oposite direction. The lowest point of your orbit (periapsis) should be touching the target orbit.

3)wait again until you reach periapsis again, point and hold :retrograde: retrograde and burn until your orbit match the target orbit.

4)if the orbit is out by a few degrees  inclination you need to burn antinormal :antinormal: when passing over AN or normal  :normal: passing over DN

If you really have lots(and lots) of fuel you can just burn retrograde anywhere and to reverse your orbit.

Description of basic manuever here . You can also look for tutorials at Youtube, just be carefull with old videos the info they show may not be valid in curent game version.

Woa, a bit touchy. I never disrespected anybody. I'm not "forcing" anyone to be here or forcing you to answer lol so I'm not wasting your time, you're deliberately choosing to spend your time on this thread! Also as I've written I've already solved it! Didn't have enough fuel just redid the whole thing boosting the opposite direction. But thanks for the explanation nevertheless I always appreciate information, and your effort to help as well :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.