So what song is stuck in your head today?

SmileyTRex

This song came on my radio on the way to campus this morning... and so now it is lodged in my head... and what's even funny is the song shows its age. But before I forget...

Spoiler

So a young girl in my class (about 18 or 19) asked me...

"Doctor, what is a 'pop top?' And are they really sharp enough to cut you?"

As my closest friends know, I listen to a variety of music - everything from classical and hard rock. But there are songs I love that speak to me in profound ways... and the song that's been stuck in my head this morning is City of New Orleans. For you who are train enthusiasts such as @Azimech and even @LordFerret, you probably already know this song well...

17 hours ago, LordFerret said:

And she's in college?!?!! :confused:

I apologize for this. I truly do.

Yeah, it was just another reminder of how I am growing old... But things could be worse, I guess. There are days I feel older than I am... and today is one of them.

Classic track from '79. The  "New Romantics" band Japan was influenced by the Bowie Berlin period and others. Japan themselves influenced one of the biggest bands of the eighties: Duran Duran.

I like this track, nice for practicing some of my bass skills, even if I don't own a fretless. And while at work, I just practice in my head.

Type O Negative. Also called the "Drab Four" because their main influences were the Beatles and Black Sabbath. These guys made Gothic Metal popular in the mid nineties, after Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride and Anathema kickstarted the genre.

The difference with these other bands is than TON injected it with some solid Brooklyn humor.

Trick or treat!

4 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Listening to the first 10 seconds it sounds like stoner rock, amirite?

Basically. Stoner/psychedelic/space rock.

E: I'm a big fan of bluesy rock with intricate guitar work, but I also prefer it to have a strong, stable backing, a toe-tapping, head-nodding beat. That beat can switch up (Elder is really good at that) but not quickly or in a jarring manner; the music must flow.

Edited by regex

Just now, regex said:

My cup of tea. Well, one of mine.

I looked at the genre description: Psychedelic Rock, Progressive Rock, Heavy Psych, Krautrock, Jazz Rock.

So basically very seventies with modern production values. Not bad at all.

Just now, Azimech said:

My cup of tea. Well, one of mine.

I looked at the genre description: Psychedelic Rock, Progressive Rock, Heavy Psych, Krautrock, Jazz Rock.

So basically very seventies with modern production values. Not bad at all.

Exactly. I've gone back occasionally to before my time to listen to bands like Quicksilver Messenger Service and it's fantastic stuff, but I like the more modern production values in general.

8 minutes ago, regex said:

E: I'm a big fan of bluesy rock with intricate guitar work, but I also prefer it to have a strong, stable backing, a toe-tapping, head-nodding beat. That beat can switch up (Elder is really good at that) but not quickly or in a jarring manner; the music must flow.

Try Zappa's Jazz Rock period, if you don't know it already. Let me know if you need pointers. You won't find much 4/4 in the rhythm section though, usually it jazzes up your feet and head (in a fantastic way).

Just now, Azimech said:

Try Zappa's Jazz Rock period, if you don't know it already. Let me know if you need pointers. You won't find much 4/4 in the rhythm section though, usually it jazzes up your feet and head (in a fantastic way).

I'll check it out, thanks.

Talking about production values, Zappa wrote the book for most producers coming after him. He set a standard. His audio sounded incredibly clear and crisp compared to almost everything at the time. And he might've been the first to record digitally in a professional environment, in 1973.

Talking about jazz rock, this is a classic track.

Nineteenseventytwo ladies and gentlemen!

Keep in mind, CD sounds much better than Youtube, usually.

And if you have doubts about his skills in producing/engineering because you're listening to a remastered track, find yourself a proper first pressing LP :-)

Edited by Azimech