So what song is stuck in your head today?

SmileyTRex

3 hours ago, Jacke said:

Soldiers sing many songs and it's unfortunate (but understandable) some get attached to rather unpleasant politics.

Some even get appropriated.  For example, "Horst-Wessel-Lied", the pedant Party Anthem, took its melody from an Imperial German Navy song of World War 1, so good luck singing the original without being linked to its odious descendant.

And much like military uniforms, they get inherited across nations, because, like "Erika", they speak to the common experience of the life of the soldier.   Lale Anderson's recording of "Lili Marleen" was broadcasted by the Wehrmacht-controlled Radio Belgrade and was appreciated by all in arms on all sides who heard it.

O_O ok ill be careful on singing some songs

16 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Now the song is turning circles running 'round my brain... :confused:

Like @TheSaint, this phrase brought to mind a different song from my dark past.  One with quite a interesting history.

34 minutes ago, PigeonThePilot said:

O_O ok ill be careful on singing some songs

Songs like many human creations can be double-edge items that cut both ways.  It's up to us to make sure things stay positive, because all too often there are those who will take things negative.

I like "Erika".  And many years ago learned a contemporary tune that unfortunately is still slightly entangled with its early history.  Such is the nature of soldiers' culture.

On 2/20/2021 at 2:03 AM, PigeonThePilot said:

The song Erika (Auf der heide bluht ein kleines blumelein) sung by the Wehrmacht in 1940's. I've seen the lyrics and it actually sounds quite nice I guess. 

I dont support Fascists by the way

yeah it's a good earworm

BUM BUM BUM

Hüsker Dü's "Don't Want To Know If You Are Lonely". It's great all around, one of my favourite songs, and I'm trying to learn the guitar, drum, and bass parts currently for a cover.

Edited by Kernel Kraken
Edited to embed it.

2 hours ago, tater said:

Was there for this, too:

OK... if we're playing this game (on a Friday evening... perfect)

I was not at this concert... but I saw them a few weeks later on this very same tour (I was 16)

Edited by Just Jim

21 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I was not at this concert... but I saw them a few weeks later on this very same tour (I was 16)

Dang, never got to see BOC (had their albums, though!).

Can't remember if I was here the first or second night:

31 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

OK... if we're playing this game (on a Friday evening... perfect)

BTW, it's kind of amazing how many shows I have seen that are bootlegged onto youtube. Probably helps that I grew up a train ride from midtown Manhattan.