So what song is stuck in your head today?

SmileyTRex

18 hours ago, LordFerret said:

Share your ear. I'd like to hear something you've discovered / like. :)

I'm sort of astounded that I have liked virtually every classical piece you have posted. Not just , "nice," but I've gone and purchased several right after clicking them in this thread.

I tend to have a thing for the baroque, and I love smaller arrangements (though symphonies are also nice). The lute pieces (or classical guitar) are a fave of mine. A cup of coffee (or wine), with that playing, looking out at the mountains, or over the city is about as good as it gets. We actually had a classical guitarist play our wedding (his family makes excellent guitars here in town), out under a tree, with the mountains in the background.

Here's an all time favorite piece of mine (certainly not obscure, lol):

4 hours ago, tater said:

Here's an all time favorite piece of mine (certainly not obscure, lol)

Oh I like this as well. Nice pick.

While I've heard Hahn before (I believe I heard the mentioned NPR interview with her at some point), this particular piece was new for me. The only thing I disagree with in her playing is her continuous vibrato, which in this piece was not as evident. That is a long and ongoing debate, the use of vibrato in Baroque music. Likewise the debate of using period vs modern instruments. Otherwise, I think her technical ability is phenomenal and I like that her interpretations are clear and not off in the realm of experimental. Thanks! M'Lady liked it too, I put it on during dinner. :)

1 hour ago, LordFerret said:

Oh I like this as well. Nice pick.

While I've heard Hahn before (I believe I heard the mentioned NPR interview with her at some point), this particular piece was new for me. The only thing I disagree with in her playing is her continuous vibrato, which in this piece was not as evident. That is a long and ongoing debate, the use of vibrato in Baroque music. Likewise the debate of using period vs modern instruments. Otherwise, I think her technical ability is phenomenal and I like that her interpretations are clear and not off in the realm of experimental. Thanks! M'Lady liked it too, I put it on during dinner. :)

I liked that one I posted that was on youtube (Hahn), but I own Milstein (now digital, but back in the day, vinyl) ;):

A friend's dad (and now brother) was (is) music faculty at UNM. My friend is a cellist (when not being a doc), and he, his brother, and his dad played in another friend's living room one night (with a 4th guy, another doc my wife went to med school with)... his dad even has a strad. Felt pretty old-school to sit in the drawing room with port listening to a quartet.

Edited by tater

11 hours ago, tater said:

... I own Milstein (now digital, but back in the day, vinyl) ;):

... Felt pretty old-school to sit in the drawing room with port listening to a quartet.

I like this by Milstein better than Hahn's. A pair of headphones, listening to the two, will define what I was describing about her use of vibrato.

I can relate. My grandfather was a violinist (also an engineer). He used to play at the Newark Symphony Hall back in the late 20's and early 30's. We thought he owned a Stradivarius (ha, they're worth millions), but his violin, now in my cousin's possession, was appraised in NYC and turned out to be a Vuillaume copy... still a nice piece. As a child, studying violin for 3 years, I took my lessons on it. What I remember most of my grandfather with regard to music, was that even after suffering from a serious stroke (late 60's), he could still stand there and play Rimsky Korsakov's Flight of the Bumblebee for me.

So, for grandpa... note the conductor, this guy is a hoot.

Moving on...

Nothing obscure, quite known, I think I've posted works of his here before (hope I'm not repeating myself). John Dowland... M'Lady loves this.

It has been a classical music day all day... And I know @LordFerret would appreciate what's been played in my playlist every three hours... and I never get tired of it...

Second Suite for Military Band Op.28/No.2

1. March 0:00

2. Song Without Words 4:46

3. Song of the Blacksmith 7:14

4. Fantasia on the Dargason 8:31

I know everyone always goes nuts over his The Planets suite, but to me, this is probably one of my favorite Holst pieces. And as a side note, when I played with the USM orchestra in 1988, I played this as the second chair first part French horn player. the 3rd movement was sheer hell. It's written off-beat and the Picardy third at the end... ugh, as a music theory and comp major, it is ingenious but demands resolution at the same time...

Edited by adsii1970

9 hours ago, silverfox101 said:

-snip-

I saw 'Spruce' live in 1984 at the Garden on his USA tour. Trust me when I tell you, he's so unbelievably overplayed 'down here at the shore'. :confused:

6 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

-snip-

Interesting pick. Every 3 hours?!?!! Careful, I'll be pulling out Wagner... or better yet, the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards. ;)

Holst is ok, and you're right about his The Planets works, popular. To me however, considering all his other works, The Planets are overplayed.

Something a little different, Giulio Romolo Caccini. Late Renaissance / early Baroque, 1601.