So what song is stuck in your head today?

SmileyTRex

On 1/2/2019 at 3:59 PM, Just Jim said:

Oh, awesome!!!
Something new by one of my favorite up and coming new  bands...

:cool:

1. I was going to say "Needs to show more Gurdy," but the Gurdy quotient was much higher nearer the end.

2. New to you maybe, I see the video was posted in May of '16

3. Reading through the comments, I note that Patty has left Storm Seeker. Too bad for them. But I think I'll buy the album anyways. Noticed a few albums titled "Stormseeker" on iTunes...

4. Favorite comment: "Great sound! Makes me want to drink rum and make someone walk the plank."

5. When the video ended, one of the featured videos was this metal cover of a classic Dire Straits tune. Leo's wife is a pretty good singer

39 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Reading through the comments, I note that Patty has left Storm Seeker. Too bad for them. But I think I'll buy the album anyways. Noticed a few albums titled "Stormseeker" on iTunes...

I didn't know, but I have to admit, I'm not that terribly surprised... 

42 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

New to you maybe, I see the video was posted in May of '16

hmmm... yup, new to me, then... :rolleyes:

I first heard this song from a lot of european radios (I think Sky Radio of the Netherlands and a few more as it played through this) years ago.

And just a while ago they did it again on a Dutch radio... they always give a good surprise.

Edited by YNM

I don't know why this popped into my head this morning...

And I'm astounded I found it on YouTube...

So much better than In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida...

I give you the EPIC

Butterfly Bleu  :cool:

Edited by Just Jim

On 1/4/2019 at 6:53 PM, qzgy said:

For reasons unknown to myself, this has been growing on me.

I don't even listen to them that much, started pretty much 2 days ago or so.

You poor, deprived thing. Everyone should be indoctrinated into the Pink-Floyd-osphere.

I hope you heard The Dark Side of the Moon by now.

A Momentary Lapse of Reason should also be experienced, as well as Wish You Were Here

At least you discovered The Wall already. I may have to go on a Pink Floyd binge now...

Hammer! Hammer! Hammer!

Edited by StrandedonEarth

36 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

You poor, deprived thing. Everyone should be indoctrinated into the Pink-Floyd-osphere.

I hope you heard The Dark Side of the Moon by now.

A Momentary Lapse of Reason should also be experienced, as well as Wish You Were Here

At least you discovered The Wall already. I may have to go on a Pink Floyd binge now...

Hammer! Hammer! Hammer!

go easy, i've only existed post-2000/later. at least I seem to be getting there.

Yes, I have heard Dark side of the Moon by now.

Already started up the 2nd thing on your list, will probably go listen to the 3rd tomorrow.

Will probably also give thing thing razark mentioned a shot tomorrow.

Edited by qzgy

Dark Side is probably my favorite album, especially Time

14 minutes ago, qzgy said:

will probably go listen to the 3rd tomorrow.

WYWH is good.  TFC might require an understanding of the political situation of the world in the early '80s to appreciate the full effect.

12 hours ago, razark said:

While I like a few tracks off of AMLoR, I never really caught on to the post-Waters era.

I know it seems to be largely ignored, but I like The Final Cut.

You’ll notice I didn’t mention anything after AMLoR. The Final Cut is mostly if not all rejects from The Wall is it not? Never really got into that one

12 hours ago, qzgy said:

go easy, i've only existed post-2000/later. at least I seem to be getting there

You should also watch the movie of The Wall if you haven’t already. There are some great tracks there that aren’t on the album, along with some wicked animated sequences

Edited by StrandedonEarth
Simply had to add color where required

40 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

The Final Cut is mostly if not all rejects from The Wall is it not? Never really got into that one

It is mostly.  There was some new material to fill it out.  But if you really want to hear Roger Waters whine about losing his father and how bad politicians are, it's great.  It's not highly regarded, but I like it.  It has some good bits, if not the whole thing.  I can see why people call it an unofficial solo project, though.  Still worth a listen to hear the parts that never make it on either the radio or a "Greatest Hits" compilation.

40 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

You should also watch the movie of The Wall if you haven’t already. There are some great tracks there that aren’t on the album...

When the Tigers Broke Free from the movie is included in later releases of The Final Cut.  But if you like the album, the movie is worth a watch.  I need to find another copy, just for my collection.

Just watch it repeatedly until you can explain exactly what happens, what is real, and in what order it occurs. :D  (Then debate it...)

Edit:
Moderators, can you do something about @qzgy and @StrandedonEarth, please?

The one Saturday night I'm home at a decent time, and they force me to listen to Pink Floyd albums!

Edited by razark

Some 10 15 (damn, I'm getting old!) years ago, this music was my weak up alarm. That were tough times, but also somewhat satisfying ones - I realized a lot.

Now and then I miss this music (the iPod mini that I used to use is kaput - and my mobile speakers are a shame!), and put it in loop for some minutes.

I'm doing it now.

Edited by Lisias

After watching "Bohemian Rhapsody", I popped my iPod in to play some Queen on my ride home... Only to be horrified that Queen wasn't even listed under artists, and the SOLE, SINGULAR Queen song loaded onto the old upgraded iPod Mini was part of the Liberty Rock Radio soundtrack from GTA 4. This... made me sad... When i got home, I sought to remedy that by loading all my Queen music onto the iPod... Only to be FURTHER disappointed that despite a 296 GB music folder, I had FIVE Queen songs, not counting the aforementioned GTA 4 track.

Basically... EVERY rock station plays Queen. I can't go a DAY without hearing Queen (this is a good thing), so long as a radio is playing (Radio, I still love you :cool: ). Problem is, that radio, for all it's love of Queen, doesn't really hardly play more than about a dozen songs... Always the same handful, repeatedly. As such, I sought to remedy this. Five greatest hits albums acquired, and 5.5 hours of Queen later, I now have resolved my iPod's Queen deficiency, but MORE importantly, discovered that they have SO MUCH MORE that I either have NEVER heard, or that I haven't heard for YEARS.

"Driven By You" is one of those forgotten songs... I used to hear this on the radio, back when it was new, and I LOVED IT back then... I know it was used in a Ford advertisement. I think that might have actually pushed the song quickly out of regular play... It became "that Ford song". Thing is, it's been SO LONG since I'd heard it, I'd completely forgotten all about it. I never even realized it was Brian May, of Queen, performing it. More likely, I didn't know the name Brian May as a kid, and thus, since this was released as a single by Brian May, I never knew that, for all intents and purposes, this was more or less Queen, post Freddie. I also didn't know enough about the music world back then to know Freddie Mercury had died the SAME month this got released.

I like to think that despite the use in a Ford ad, and despite the relationship described in the lyrics... I imagine some of the inspiration of this song has got to be a tribute to the bandmate they had just lost, who they knew they were loosing as this song was written. Particularly the bridge and final chorus... I just get that vibe... Anyway, when taken in that light, its a rather touching song, at least to me. Even the lyric's up front narrative is interesting.

I tell ya... It really is something to discover a great song for the first time, twice! :D

On 1/3/2019 at 5:15 PM, Just Jim said:

Oh, no reason...

Spirited Away (2001) - The Name of Life (Instrumental piano) Inochi No Namae いのちの名前

Hehe... I JUST watched Spirited Away and "Howl's Moving Castle" on Friday night! What great movies!

On 1/4/2019 at 8:53 PM, qzgy said:

For reasons unknown to myself, this has been growing on me.

== Pink Floyd: Comfortably Numb ==

I don't even listen to them that much, started pretty much 2 days ago or so.

13 hours ago, qzgy said:

go easy, i've only existed post-2000/later. at least I seem to be getting there.

Yes, I have heard Dark side of the Moon by now.
Already started up the 2nd thing on your list, will probably go listen to the 3rd tomorrow.

Welcome to the aural experience that is the music of Pink Floyd!
I hope you find plenty to enjoy!

12 hours ago, razark said:

The one Saturday night I'm home at a decent time, and they force me to listen to Pink Floyd albums!

Now come on... Is that really such a terrible way to fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way:sticktongue:

Edited by richfiles