KSP Challenge: Build and Fly a Space Shuttle!

Darth Badie

uA2HNEXlbCxmVrsnUsBKs9cPbsvp_VraWMDMuiv1

Check out the amazing and creative entries of last week challenge!  

This week we have another theme for you: “Build and Fly a Space Shuttle”

A "reusable" winged Orbiter which carries Kerbals to orbit and back and is capable of a horizontal landing.  The Orbiter must be lifted into space by a Launch System that decouples or un-docks once expended, allowing the Orbiter to land entirely under it's own power.
Share your screenshots, videos or images. We want you to have fun and share it with the whole community! Thanks to Speeding Mullet for the idea and help!  We also have an amazing badge designed by FCISuperGuy especially for those who have created a shuttle for this challenge.  Simply post your Shuttle mission and claim your badge here:
                                                                                                                                 yV_RrghwwENxYdv-jCCzrknh9HcYZYfROi8XAaH8

As a special treat, and for the duration of this weekly challenge only, you can use your shuttle to complete any single mission of your choice from the Shuttle Challenge V4 thread.  Simply post your mission report here, and Speeding Mullet will award you the relevant badge!

omyqcBnZLg0tkYRAZ0pSVb0BnyrcxW5tnHC5u3ei
Gr2wkImckrLXvvPBTMwe_KCxoi1RrMF1M9evAlZz

Incredible artwork by @Pine from the Screenshots Re-imagined thread

Special thanks to @Speeding Mullet for making this challenge possible!

I've got my Saturn Shuttle replica that has flown several times across it's mission series (it's coming back soon!)-

19ZOLZn.jpg

4Qilgeg.png

@Badie Any chance of adding this to the OP? :P @Pine has done some amazing work and I can forward more of what he's provided that's orbiter theme if you want :) . He really deserves more attention than he receives as he works hard on these.

She is fun to fly and she keeps blowing my expectations out of the water every time I fly her :) ! To say I'm proud is to be a significant understatement!

Edited by ZooNamedGames

1 minute ago, qzgy said:

Does the "launch system" have to be vertical, or can it be horizontal?

I'd assume both Dyanasoar and Space Shuttle styles are acceptable. Think we're after rocket launched space planes. Because if not, then that means my Saturn Shuttle is out- :0.0:

1 minute ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I'd assume both Dyanasoar and Space Shuttle styles are acceptable. Think we're after rocket launched space planes. Because if not, then that means my Saturn Shuttle is out- :0.0:

Ah, ok. There are quite alot of other cool concepts that are horizontally launched. The MAKS comes to mind.

2 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Ah, ok. There are quite alot of other cool concepts that are horizontally launched. The MAKS comes to mind.

True- and I always loved the idea, but again I think we're aiming rocket launched spaceplanes and that's air launched. If you can find a way to horizontally launch your spaceplane with a rocket, I think you'd be golden on all bases.

In fact... sounds like a challenge for my Shuttle. Heheheheh....

18 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Does the "launch system" have to be vertical, or can it be horizontal?

It can be anything you like, launch sideways, diagonally, under water and downwards for all I care :).  there's been some great examples of horizontally launched shuttles in other challenges, we just don't want to see pure SSTO's.  It must have a decoupled / separated launch system in other words.

Hope that makes sense!

P.S. @ZooNamedGames can't review videos at work, but wait a few hours and I'll be on it :)

SM

Edited by Speeding Mullet

3 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

She is fun to fly and she keeps blowing my expectations out of the water every time I fly her :) ! To say I'm proud is to be a significant understatement!

She certainly is a capable shuttle too!  I know I've awarded you a number of badges from the Shuttle Challenge so I haven't got anything new for you on that front, but you can certainly claim your STS badge!  yV_RrghwwENxYdv-jCCzrknh9HcYZYfROi8XAaH8

1 hour ago, qzgy said:

Forgot to put crew on it....

I'll have to redo the mission. Let's say this was a dress rehearsal

Looking good there!  Can't wait to see the mission report!

1 hour ago, Numerlor said:

So I can post same thing for two weekly challenges ? :sticktongue:

That was from the depths of page 11 of my challenge thread haha.  That's already been judged.  How about fly the next mission, or even create a new shuttle :wink:

52 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Ooh, this sounds interesting. I already have an idea of a tiny 1.25m shuttle, but unfortunately I will be away for my computer for few days. :(

That's fine, the challenge I think is open for a week which is longer than a few days.  If you miss the challenge you are always welcome in the regular shuttle challenge thread :)

Right, off to design a little shuttle!

SM

1 hour ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Awesome challenge! I happened to make a custom fitted orbiter a while back and did a video on it too :) I hope you enjoy Astraeus:

That is a cool shuttle for sure, and a very nice video to boot!  The cockpit reminds me of an Antonov for some reason.  I've just realised you created windowshine also so it's a pleasure to have you on the challenge @Avera9eJoe:)   - Claim your badge!  yV_RrghwwENxYdv-jCCzrknh9HcYZYfROi8XAaH8  Also I can give you the relevant badge from the Shuttle Challenge, so here you go Commander!  sE1QW9Q.jpg

I've also entered the challenge with the Micro Scream Chaser.  Can't believe it actually worked.  Well, kinda.  The landing was a little sketchy:

Mullet Dyne Micro Screamchaser

A1sBKIL.png

Parts - 35
Mass - 4.820t
Height - 5.5m
Width - 2.1m
Length - 1.6m

Danger Factor - Enormous

CRAFT FILE

MISSION REPORT:

I guess I'll claim my badge now hehe :)

SM

1 hour ago, luizopiloto said:

There was a time... I only designed Shuttles...  To the point I had to force me to design something else... ಠ__ಠ

These are incredible! I like the Pegasus's return-booster the most... the under-body wing surfaces are very well done!

Been meaning to collate images from the shuttle missions I've been running lately!

All done in 10 times scale, the Wyvern 2a 

TiEsmtx.jpg

aHsBmkb.jpggets to orbit with 1,100m/s, now with balanced rcs

I'll find the album of the IIc variant (nuclear) which has 4,000m/s LKO which is just enough for a lunar mission!

OMG! Does my Kerbal all stock MAKS count?
I have porkjets partoverhaul installed and Kerbalism, but the craft is pure stockparts though...
KSP 1.2.2

I put the orbital flight into spoilers for convenience.

Here my Kerbals start with a Kertonov KN- 225...: :D:D (Jeb and Bill)

gVy4sHT.png

In the spoiler some impressions from the flight:

Spoiler

3c2PKCH.pngq9fMg9h.pngdXVutkh.pngEtfsESS.pngO7hoHKD.pngHHpaE7F.png

And a final picture after successfull landing, Kerbals got hot during descend...

Xvm7sSf.png

Yeeehaaaaa!!! :cool::cool:

16 hours ago, Pesterenan said:

When will the challenge end? I think I'll livestream my Shuttle creation on friday :)

There really is no end.  You can do it whenever you like even if they have posted next weeks challenge or the one after that.  This thread doesn't go away just because they post a new one.

Edited by Alshain

Made this for tourist contracts:

It takes up two passengers and has the ability to dock to a station. As you can see it has plenty of Dv, and if you use FMRS you can also recover the booster.

Edited by Flamingo

Does there have to be a radially attached plane section? I'll land it as a plane but does it have to launch that way?

Also my laptop's broken so unless I can fix it soon I won't be able to participate. No I don't have anything else.:cool: