KSP Challenge: Build and Fly a Space Shuttle!

Darth Badie

Man, I haven´t built a shuttle for a looong time, but STS-3 "can you see me" looked like fun, so I thought I´d give it a try. And I really like that batch. :)

So here is my entry. I tried to get as close to the real thing as I could in one day.

Mods used: Asteroid day

Thanks Badie and Speeding Mullet, that challange has been blast, and there are lots of brilliant designs in this thread. Well done folks. :cool:

Here is my entry:

Space Shuttly - The cute way to Orbit

stock speedbuild ( aprox. 2hours)

build without Kerbal Engineer

plenty of DeltaV

nice and wonky to get it to orbit

same way back :wink:

craftfile:

https://kerbalx.com/MillionLights/Space-Shuttly

If its stupid but works...

...IT AIN'T STUPID!

Edited by million_lights

Lots of awesome shuttles in here! Well done! 

Anyone that watches my stream will know I prefer SSTO's, but I made a shuttle just for this! (It's even stock:-P) It'll put 6 Kerbals in a 150km orbit and has ~3500m/s dV once there to go quite a ways and return.1bdBFtk.png

kU222Pu.png

f5hTdbg.png

97BFOD9.png

tqwVjPH.png

vrlcFPG.png

hLV7oF0.png

RkWtKpN.png

xBtuxMf.png

yxCOZnP.png

nrANZ6R.png

P05NDBs.png

DFSGIdn.png

hju9Com.jpg

Okay, I've done it. This entry is compliant with Speeding Mullet's STS-1b mission challenge (40t payload to a circular orbit within 100 m deviation). See the linked imgur album for full details of the flight.

https://imgur.com/a/Uu4Gk

And here is the craft file for inspection:

https://kerbalx.com/haruspex/Jackdaw

(Payload - mission specific 40t fuel pod - is not included.) 

Edited by Haruspex

nLKCgvz.jpg

Ready to launch from Baconnaise Cosmodrome:

uwmXpZM.jpg

The Cabbage-Soup Kerbals upgraded the Inland Kerbal Space Centre so they wouldn't have to rely on the Chicken-Soup Kerbals for launch facilites:

01Zq6J3.jpg

When no flights are in progress, Baconnaise doubles as a golf course:

Nb2Nhe0.jpg

Booster separation:

0J15DtB.jpg

Nearing the 100 km parking orbit:

lsNuYRl.jpg

Core separation completed, and on to rendezvous with Kerbin Station Alpha at an altitude of 210 km:

W06XnF5.jpg

Arrival at Salad, aka Kerbin Station Alpha (unfortunately Infernal Robotics isn't working properly and the payload won't deploy :( ):

QhZ79OB.jpg

Guess we'll just have to take the Science module back home and try another day:

xtR5ZUq.jpg

Approaching the Baconnaise runway:

rhtpuqd.jpg

Missed the runway (dammit, Jeb, I'm a rocket scientist not a pilot), but considering so few walk away from my landings, I think we'll let it go:

8lHeXwC.jpg

Imgur album

Edited by Tinty Moce Fowt
Spelling misteak

I thought I'd try, and here's the result:

It's all stock, apart from Kerbalism supplies in the cargo bay.

To fly it:

On launch, turn throttle down to about 75%.

When the ET fuel is around 1/6th, you have to keep pitching down to keep the CoM and CoT in line. Activating the orbiter engine and thrust limiting the Vector to about 50% helps to stabilize it.

In the atmosphere, the orbiter needs to be rotated in small taps or it may spin out of control.

(All credit for the probe core idea goes to Kerbal Space Command's amazing spaceplane videos)

Craft file: https://kerbalx.com/endomen/Mini-Shuttle

Edited by endomen

4 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

Those boosters, external tank, and the vectors underneath them are a few sizes too big to be stock...

Yep. I thought I should mention what parts were used but you're right, that's not fair to TweakScale and the other invisible mods that are vital to my game. Misleading statement deleted.

Well, I guess I'll post my Energia-Buran replica here

http://s020.radikal.ru/i716/1601/f8/3df7aad4ca3b.png

by the way, I've even managed to make it fly a simple mission automated

For further details, mission reports (most of the missions in STS Challenge) and download links check here:

And if you want something a bit (quite a bit, actually) bigger, you can also check the HRO-M03. Capabilities? It can deploy a mobile base. On Mun or Duna.

0f5e26dac1b6.pngb02214fefcf1.png

Spaceplanes are my weak point, so I never even tried a Shuttle. I figured I'd give it a go for this challenge, trying to follow the basic design for the real STS. Many mods, but no TweakScale. The first launch went rather predictably, but even Bill seemed to enjoy the ride:

Later iterations made it to dizzying heights of over 30km, with help from TCA. Unfortunately, after SRB separation, things got, um, a little too interesting. At least the drag chutes meant for landing (now that was optimistic!) were able to slow the descent enough for a survivable splashdown. Eventually the editor got wonky and wouldn't mirror the struts properly, so I gave up. The glide characteristics were worse than a brick anyways. I don't have the time or the patience to start from scratch on this again.

Challenge: FAILED!

At least I never destroyed the VAB. The flagpole and the launchpad, OTOH....

Edited by StrandedonEarth

My Mk2 shuttle, which I build in career.

Not really impressive, but i like in nevertheless.

rCwQpGn.png

And a full album covering shuttle's first mission.

Edited by DV-13

Reworked my previous and first ever shuttle. I removed the half dome non-stock tanks and replaced them with the small Rockomax tanks and a nose cone. I then added some Oscar B's and Vernor engines. The craft is now 100% stock. Uses about 400 dv more getting to orbit than it should but best I know how to do. On reentry the Panther jet possibly isn't even required.  I only lit it up halfway between the mountains and KSC.  

KIk7S5b.jpg

While I was working my way towards a true SSTO, I made an in-between spaceplane that resembles Dyna-Soar: A spaceplane strapped on top of a reusable rocket booster. Aside from the SRBs almost the whole craft is reusable, with the launch costing only 15,000 funds if landed close enough to KSC.

The plane is capable of reaching a circular orbit of 100km above Kerbin (unfortunately I forgot to snap a photo for this!) and safely return to KSC. That's where it can dock with the space station too.

Introducing Kaiser 3

A2rnnJy.png

hjG2f1W.png

Here's the complete album showing the first successful mission.

Edited by JYNg
Added further description

3 minutes ago, JYNg said:

While I was working my way towards a true SSTO, I made an in-between spaceplane that resembles Dyna-Soar: A spaceplane strapped on top of a reusable rocket booster. Aside from the SRBs almost the whole craft is reusable, with the launch costing only 15,000 funds if landed close enough to KSC.

[img=http://i.imgur.com/A2rnnJy.png]

[img=http://i.imgur.com/hjG2f1W.png]

Here's the complete album showing the first successful mission.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/4VWeQ"><a href="//imgur.com/4VWeQ">Building a Reusable Spaceplane</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Uhh. Sorry, I see no pictures. It looks like you were using Imgur, in which case for the album, you can just use the album link, it will automatically imbed itself. For images, use wither the BBCode option or the direct image link. Both cases will be imbedded nicely into a post.

Just now, qzgy said:

Uhh. Sorry, I see no pictures. It looks like you were using Imgur, in which case for the album, you can just use the album link, it will automatically imbed itself. For images, use wither the BBCode option or the direct image link. Both cases will be imbedded nicely into a post.

Done! Thanks for the input.

11 minutes ago, JYNg said:

Done! Thanks for the input.

No Problem! Actually looks pretty nice. Does it get into orbit? It's not clear from the pictures.

Wow you lot are prolific.  This community has got to be one of the most vibrant and creative out there.  Certainly in the games I've ever played I've never been so actively involved in the community side of things, and it's a total pleasure.  Badges for everyone!  Oh wait, I've actually got to award them!  Here goes:

On 4/29/2017 at 10:28 AM, Shadow Wolf56 said:

Here is my Kerbin 1 Shuttle.

Pros: Really Cheap and easy to make and also is easy to fly to orbit.

Cons: Reentry is really hard because the shuttle decides to swing around everywhere.(could be easily fixed by having a reaction control system)

Here's a cute little shuttle.  See no need to go big to go to space where shuttles are concerned (although it's equally awesome when people do).  Have a week badge for your wee shuttle! yV_RrghwwENxYdv-jCCzrknh9HcYZYfROi8XAaH8

On 4/29/2017 at 0:53 PM, HebaruSan said:

The STS inspired many of my designs, but this is one of the few that I have a screenshot of:

Definitely seeing influences of the Buran launcher in this one (with the SRB arrangement).  nice medium sized craft with what looks like heaps of cargo space!  yV_RrghwwENxYdv-jCCzrknh9HcYZYfROi8XAaH8

On 4/29/2017 at 2:33 PM, JoeNapalm said:

Just getting back after a hiatus, thought I'd check and see if I could do this totally stock, without even my beloved KER.

Jeb has never been so happy!

Mission Report - STS-1a Commander:

First test flight didn't go so well...but that's why we use drone cores. (Shame about the brand new hangar...Gene was so angry he turned dark green.)

After a number of test flights of the new Banshee Mk I Shuttle (there have been dozens of Banshee-class craft, mostly SSTOs, but this is the first in this fresh save) I threw together a lifter.

Made orbit on first attempt, clean separation and orbit. Jeb got a little excited on re-entry, overshot a wee bit, then burned up too much fuel showing off the Banshee's high-G turns, so we had to land at the contingency site on the Island.

The Banshee looks like it screamed so loudly the SPH exploded!  Interesting shuttle design, and good to see the "jet engine" capability being built into the shuttle.  I always favored that in my designs to make re-entry less of a chore (i.e. I could be inaccurate and it didn't matter :) ) yV_RrghwwENxYdv-jCCzrknh9HcYZYfROi8XAaH8  sE1QW9Q.jpg

On 4/29/2017 at 7:06 PM, SnakyLeVrai said:

There are awesome crafts here!! Congrats to you all!

Here is an old shuttle of mine, including a home grown launch tower. It's from 1.0 or 1.1 I think. I don't use them anymore... My classic launchers are more than 75% retrievable (actually, only the payload isn't recovered) so, for simplicity's sake, I stick to eh... candle sticks.

Oldie but a goodie my friend!  yV_RrghwwENxYdv-jCCzrknh9HcYZYfROi8XAaH8

On 4/29/2017 at 7:33 PM, seiryu said:

Here's my one!

Very interesting diamond design on that Shuttle!  yV_RrghwwENxYdv-jCCzrknh9HcYZYfROi8XAaH8Rvs3vgQ.jpg

On 4/29/2017 at 10:13 PM, Lupi said:

The entire point of my livestreamed career mode save for the past year has been to use spacecraft like this! I use no part mods, no FAR. Kerbal Engineer, Pilot Assistant, CorrectCOL and some other editor mods sure, but stock parts only.

Cool feel free to check in to the Main Shuttle challenge in the relevant sub forum :)  I read the whole post and thanks for the detail.  "Confidence Boosters" is my takeaway from that.  Loved it!!  Clearly a very capable shuttle set and am happy to award you the relevant badge.  Also - The pilot mod is fine! yV_RrghwwENxYdv-jCCzrknh9HcYZYfROi8XAaH8 sE1QW9Q.jpg

On 4/29/2017 at 11:49 PM, ThePerpetual said:

Dreamchaser-inspired entry: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=915476953

Can deliver 20 tons to LKO and a crew of 4, for a per-launch price of about 40 000 funds.

Has docking capability and fuel cells for electricity. 

The orbiter's wings are squat, and provide a glide ratio of(at best) 3/1. This necessitates the addition of 4 Juno jet engines for assistance on landing(though the engines cannot provide level flight on their own). The reason for this design is to lessen the wing area necessary on the booster stage for stability purposes, thus reducing the per-launch cost and lowering risk of launch failure. Similarly, the vehicle lacks a rudder and tailplane.

If the mission requires it, this vehicle can deliver payloads to higher orbits through the use of a booster stage as part of the payload. This stage is then flown back to the orbiter and recovered.

Hey that's a very neat design!  20t to LKO is very impressive for a Dream Chaser style shuttle, well done!  yV_RrghwwENxYdv-jCCzrknh9HcYZYfROi8XAaH8

On 4/30/2017 at 0:19 AM, rudi1291 said:

Heres mine:

Explosive decoupling is positively encouraged around here :)  Nice Shuttle and well done on earning the Commander badge!  yV_RrghwwENxYdv-jCCzrknh9HcYZYfROi8XAaH8sE1QW9Q.jpg

On 4/30/2017 at 2:35 AM, Red Shirt said:

I am really pleased with myself. This challenge inspired me to keep trying. Shuttles are hard. Would never have made it without the vectors. Without further ado (hehehe), Here's my success story:

Shuttles are hard, but you did it!  Always amazes me the diversity of the design produced on here.  Even the "replica" shuttles are all very different, even if only under the skin differences.  Well done commander! yV_RrghwwENxYdv-jCCzrknh9HcYZYfROi8XAaH8sE1QW9Q.jpg

On 4/30/2017 at 8:56 AM, cantab said:

The inagural flight of my Knight Block R shuttle, the second real scale entry after Kertech's, this time in Real Solar System.

Ahha, an RSS effort!  Looks like you were on the absolute edge of the re-entry heating limits there!  Mighty impressive to sky something using stock parts in RSS, so I'm going to go out on a limb here and give you the Modded and Stock badge (stock for parts, modded for RSS).  Which one you claim is largely up to you!  Rvs3vgQ.jpg7RNmgnC.jpg.  Of course you also get the epic challenge badge: yV_RrghwwENxYdv-jCCzrknh9HcYZYfROi8XAaH8

On to the next page and no doubt shortly a self report of my post to merge it with the next...

SM

4 minutes ago, qzgy said:

No Problem! Actually looks pretty nice. Does it get into orbit? It's not clear from the pictures.

It does! The craft managed to dock with my space station at the 100km altitude with enough fuel to land back on KSC