What Type of KSP Player Are You?

ZooNamedGames

What Type of KSP Player Are You?  

187 members have voted

1. 1. What Type of KSP Player Are You?

43 minutes ago, fourfa said:

I try, though I suspect I spend more time as Scientist than I need to just for fun,

I guess I'm not the only one taking surface samples from the northpole and bring them back in sandbox mode. :lol:

I'm definitely a scientist by these descriptions. I work out the mission structure, then calculate the DV budget, then mathematically design the ship. All phases comparing several options seeking an optimal solution and all before I begin building. As a result, any failures I encounter are due to pilot error rather than a design flaw.

Best,
-Slashy

• 2 weeks later...

I used to be a "pilot" ... spent thousands of hours in sims since 1983.
Since piloting in KSP is nothing of a challenge, I consider myself an engineer. I've quit playing career a few years back and have been building stuff to share with the community ever since.

Edited by Azimech

I think I fall on the border between Engineer and Scientist by these definitions.  I tend to design things (SSTO spaceplanes when I can because rockets are boring and hard to reuse) to be 100% functional in their intended role as well as aesthetically pleasing.  I have spent hours fiddling with a design trying to work out the kinks and testing them thoroughly.  In almost two years of playing KSP I have yet to unlock the entire tech tree in a career save game, however my current career game is growing on me and I think I'll stick with it.

I'm certainly an engineer. I often run my experimental crafts through trials on Kerbin in my experimental sandbox save before actually launching and using them in my Career save.

I would say I also fall a little into the scientist category because I like to make sure I have just enough Delta-V. However, I don't tweak each launch to fit the payload. I go for a ULA-style approach: several iterations of the same rocket with different numbers of side boosters and different lengths upper stages. I must have two dozen versions of my Hyperion rocket.

I'd say I'm mainly an engineer, but I haven't been doing much engineering lately since I've settled on a set of standardized craft and assemblies for most purposes. The part of the game that I give the most thought to is mission planning, since I play in career mode and try to keep my use of timewarp to no more than a few days at a time, and I also do all my own flying.

Pilot/Engineer. I mostly slap stuff together and fly it, fixing and tweaking as necessary. i don't care about aesthetics, but I tend to build crazy complex, multifunction craft. such as Jool Probe 6-packs and rover/airplane hybrids. I don't generally care for in-orbit assemblies; I'll add boosters and struts until the thing makes orbit.

I like building things and then watching them fly with the help of MechJeb. I don't plan ahead; I prefer to use trial and error to refine a design until I get something that does the job. Sometimes this means I have to rethink my approach entirely, and/or put the project on the back burner until inspiration strikes. Maybe that's more like art than engineering.

Definitely scientist. I love planning big, complicated missions, running lots and lots of calculations, testing every piece until I can feel sure that it will work exactly as intended... and then flying the mission and watching it unfold, all according to the grand plan. The bigger and more ambitious the mission, the better. I also tend to gravitate towards lower mass designs, because moar boosters is rarely the best answer to a problem.

Engineer/pilot
I'll spend days designing and putting together a mission, though I don't do a lot of math or too much nit-picky optimization.. I do tend to overbuild, with plenty of extra dV but then out on mission, I'll try to use it all on unscheduled maneuvers and come home empty. I like reusable craft, though I'm still crap at SSTO building; I build permanent infrastructure in space whenever possible and run stuff up out of gravity wells only when needed.

After it's built, I love to fly them.. I don't use Mechjeb (but Engineer Redux is amazing), and I enjoy assembling stuff in space and playing "steely eyed Rocket Man", and when I legit crash and burn, I don't reload a save game. I've got respawning turned off in my career game too, so when I kill a Kerbal, it stays killed.
I do a lot of simulating unscheduled landings and stuff like that using saved craft (not the one on mission) and Hyperedit, so that I'll be running simulations for mission options while the actual mission is elsewhere.. This has saved me a lot of headache on missions, while also opening up possibilities I hadn't considered before. There's always a pilot available in KSC for running a simulation on an ongoing mission!!

Engineer here. I enjoy the designing of the rocket almost as much as I do flying the rocket. Whenever I get an idea for a mission not playing KSP, I start thinking in my head what kind of rockets I'm going to need to fulfill the task and what the payload might look like and get it about as close to that as possible. I then make sure with either something like KER or my computer's calculator to figure out whether or not my design will complete its mission and that is pretty much it! After that I fly it and sometimes it completes its mission, sometimes it doesn't.

Fire

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.