209 posts in this topic

Not sure if I do it right, I'm planning my approach like this:

iteration_v1.jpg

Not the most time-efficient approach, but then again, I'm only wasting a few hours here. While @linuxgurugamer is trying to shave of days or weeks.

(to clarify: I'm trying to use maneuvers to get a smoother approach to Burberry, gradually closing the gap. The problem with suicide burns is overshooting -- there's plenty of opportunity to save time on a 150-day mission, no need to do it during the mosty tricky part of it.)

And while I'm showing off, here's my silly top-down staging (patents pending). 10sec video, should play inline on chrome and firefox.

Edited by Laie
3 people like this

2 minutes ago, Laie said:

http://ksp.schnobs.de/burbarry/iteration_v1.jpg

Not the most time-efficient approach, but then again, I'm only wasting a few hours here. While @linuxgurugamer is trying to shave of days or weeks.

And while I'm showing off, here's my silly top-down staging (patents pending). 10sec video, should play inline on chrome and firefox.

You need a minimum of about 38000 meters per second delta-v to both go out and come back. That is assuming that you doing it in less than one kerbin year. You can obviously save some off by going directly into atmosphere and having good heat shields to slow you down.

Burberry is moving at about 10,000 meters per second. Kerbin is moving about approximately 9000 m per second in the opposite direction. So that's 19,000 meters per second which you have to do two times which comes to about 38,000 meters per second. You can do it with 37000 but you have to be spot-on with your interceptions Etc. Good luck, I look forward to seeing your results.

To clarify, I wasn't criticizing, I was just trying to give some information based on my experience.

*sigh*
It's not to be. On day 91, I have 16300m/s and would need  18200 for a speedy return (not that it would be all that speedy). I don't think I'll sit through another 90 for a boring hohmann transfer.

Interesting tidbit: an encounter on day 79 costs a good 2km/s more, return on day 81 2km/s less.

Either way, I'd need to design another vessel with "just one more stage" -- maybe I will, but certainly not today.

3 hours ago, Laie said:

iteration_v1.jpg

(to clarify: I'm trying to use maneuvers to get a smoother approach to Burberry, gradually closing the gap. The problem with suicide burns is overshooting -- there's plenty of opportunity to save time on a 150-day mission, no need to do it during the mosty tricky part of it.)

I like your video. I've been top-down staging for awhile now. That's the first time I've seen someone else do it. I normally don't use it until I'm in orbit. It's easier to dump the empties that way. Your system looks pretty good.

Edit: just saw your post with your mission update. Condolences. No shame in coming up short on such a tough mission. Just make your next one bigger. :)

Edited by Cpt Kerbalkrunch

6 hours ago, Laie said:

*sigh*

It's not to be.

That's sad, but you can still do it, just not in the fastest way.

Even if you can't beat the Time record, you have beaten the highest launch mass so far. 

I have to wait watching the video until I get home from vacation, but hey: If it works it's not ridiculous.

Edited by Physics Student

I DID IT!!!!!!

Speed run completed!

99 days, 2 hours, 6 minutes.

Pics below.  I just noticed the Imgur album is missing a few images at the beginning, I'll fix that tomorrow.

I had a mod taking a pic every 2 minutes, I have more than 700 images to go through.

Touched Eve's orbit on the way out.

Ship Information

Rescue 1
Vessel mass:  20144.829t
TWR: 2.05

Rescue 2
Vessel Mass:  5843.95t
TWR:1.29

Edited by linuxgurugamer
5 people like this

On 14.8.2017 at 9:55 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Speed run completed!

Congratulations on beating @Aetharan by quite a bit.

I updated the OP and hope everything is correct. I love all of you for keeping the challenge running.

1 person likes this

On 4/27/2017 at 1:23 PM, Physics Student said:

@linuxgurugamer took his time with a very well planned and executed mission. He burdened himself by using USI Life support, resulting in a very massive ship that required orbital assembly. Total mission time was less than a Kerbin year recordbreakingly low on his 2nd try.

Are You Still Alive?, First orbital assembly, Highest crew capacity** (7), Time record (99d 2h 6m 17s)

Really should update this as follows:

1st mission, total crew capacity 7, long-term crew capacity when taking life support into account:  4 using the Deep Freeze module

2nd mission, crew capacity 3, no deep freeze module