Forum issues today

tater

No need to be sorry, it's not like I pay for the forum, lol. I just figured you should know about it, and perhaps a thread would provide a place to post observations that might diagnose the issue. That the problems then made this thread disappear made that not really a thing, lol.

Is there a time stamp where the weirdness started happening?

This reminds me of a funny unix story. My roommate had just gotten a NeXT Cube to add to our various machines (total geek house), and I had an account on that machine. At some point, he rebuilt the OS, and ended up owning my account (no bueno). So I recursively chowned my account to be owned by me---dot star. I knew I had screwed up the second I hit return, reached under the desk (which took a little digging, all the while the drive is churning), and yanked the plug. Luckily it had not changed all the system ownerships to me instead of root, lol.

I have noticed post counters being broken too. Some people apparently have 0 posts, which is odd to read next to various of their posts.

28 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Can't discuss moderation directly like that, tater.

Why not? It is not like whether a thread has been touched by a moderator or not is a big secret. The flat out refusal to discuss any matter remotely relating to moderation raises more discussion than it squashes.

1 minute ago, Camacha said:

I have noticed post counters being broken too. Some people apparently have 0 posts, which is odd to read next to various of their posts.

That's not related, actually. Posts in The Lounge area (where Forum Games is) don't increase that counter, so users who create accounts and just joke around show as 0.

EDIT: I'd add that the reason for me asking was for threads going forward. Is it safe to post in any thread right now, or are the only threads at risk those that are actively moderated (moved, closed, whatever else it is that you guys can do).

2 minutes ago, Kerbal-Willie said:

Was this a breach in the stored passwords? Meaning should I be switching my password i use for forums? I bet SSL is looking like a good idea now if thats the case.

It was not that kind of problem, but it never hurts to change one's password from time to time. :)

On 28/04/2017 at 11:50 PM, Kerbal-Willie said:

Ok thanks just checking, Im very secure with my password and use many formats :wink:

Just to make sure: you speak of your password for forums, plural. If you use any password in more than one place, you are not very secure with your password. Password re-use is one of the primary reasons people get into trouble, because a leak on one site easily leads to compromising accounts on another. Keeps things separated, keep them secure.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.