NASA SLS/Orion/Payloads

_Augustus_

25 minutes ago, DAL59 said:

The microgravity experiments are fascinating, but since you could just have a centrifuge for much less, it isn't necessary.  

Um, no? While a ground-based centrifuge might briefly see approximately 0G once per rotation, it cannot replicate extended stints in microgravity; for that, you need an orbital platform.

10 minutes ago, Starman4308 said:

Um, no? While a ground-based centrifuge might briefly see approximately 0G once per rotation, it cannot replicate extended stints in microgravity; for that, you need an orbital platform.

I meant a space based centrifuge.  There's no point in studying human reaction to microgravity for a decade if you can just spin up a ship.    

Just now, DAL59 said:

I meant a space based centrifuge.  There's no point in studying human reaction to microgravity for a decade if you can just spin up a ship.    

And all the rest of the science done in microgravity? Materials science, botany, etc? While one could argue whether or not the ISS was the most efficient way to conduct those experiments, they have, as point of fact, been conducted there, with even more to be learned.

Most serious microgravity experiments that are not about people in microgravity are impossible on ISS, because of the people aboard. That stuff needs free flying platforms that don’t experience the vibrations on a crewed vehicle.

5 hours ago, tater said:

That stuff needs free flying platforms that don’t experience the vibrations on a crewed vehicle.

And the Russian Oka, which had an ultrapure vacuum facility for good measure, is dead in the water.

Edited by DDE

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2017 at 2:33 PM, Canopus said:

6 minutes ago, DAL59 said:

These are the achievements, folks. Patches and temporarily turning LC-39B into a waterpark.

1 hour ago, _Augustus_ said:

These are the achievements, folks. Patches and temporarily turning LC-39B into a waterpark.

I thought this thread was for everything related to or concerning SLS.

Edited by Canopus

1 hour ago, Canopus said:

What you want us to be on-topic, too? The way SLS is going might as well be a water park. SX is so gonna stomp them next year. 

2 hours ago, Canopus said:

Yes, it is. I'm just pointing out how pathetic NASA's "milestones" are for this stupid rocket. 

30 minutes ago, PB666 said:

What you want us to be on-topic, too? The way SLS is going might as well be a water park. SX is so gonna stomp them next year. 

Yep.

18 minutes ago, Canopus said:

The Article doesn‘t even call it a „milestone“.

I don't think I put it quite right.

Over here on the SLS thread, something like a weld or mission patch is news-worthy. Meanwhile on the SpaceX, BO, ULA, etc. threads we see actual rockets and spacecraft being built and plans for upcoming missions, etc. SLS literally doesn't have any real plans past EM-2.

Well, since the construction has been stretched out until 2023, its like the spacex thread but about 60 times slower.  Yes, the Falcon 9 is much smaller, but this level of delays is ridiculous.         

On 1/11/2018 at 4:04 PM, DAL59 said:

While not quite "rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic", that's still far from enough to salvage SLS as a useful vehicle. It's still using way too many subcontractors, the ludicrously expensive RS-25 engines, and will have a poor operational tempo, leading to high program costs just to keep people employed.

Still, in the event that the SLS somehow gets funded for more missions, Blue Origin has an excellent engine for the upper stage. For that matter, the BE-4 would make an excellent first-stage engine to boot; while it doesn't have the same specific impulse as SSMEs, the BE-4 is more powerful and almost certainly less expensive. Of course, down that way lies another round of Congressional interference in redesigning a bad idea.

I'm now wondering what the New Glenn would be able to do with a couple Space Shuttle SRBs strapped to the side and I'm giggling.

With respect to the article itself, it said "but the 150,000 lbf figure is for vacuum use". I'm curious as to what mission profile the author of that article envisions where the SLS upper stage would be firing against significant atmospheric backpressure.

On 1/16/2018 at 5:09 PM, tater said:

9 hours ago, DAL59 said:

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2018/01/rs-25-hot-fire-2018-testing-sls-engines/

The trickle of marginal achievements will continue!

Nothing like the government pork project having ONE ENGINE tested while meanwhile FH is on the pad ready for a full static fire.

Just now, Nightfury said:

*random question incomming*

Are the SLS RS-25 the original shuttle ones, which then would get threw away:0.0:

or are these newly build ones?

NASA has 16 Shuttle SSMEs that are going to be reused on SLS, 4 at a time.

28 minutes ago, Nightfury said:

and just for understanding, they're not gonna get these back?

Nope. SLS is a rocket that could literally have been built in the 1970s with the exception of the avionics. No reuse of even the boosters, which is actually a step backwards because they did that with the Shuttle.