NASA SLS/Orion/Payloads

_Augustus_

10 hours ago, Canopus said:

http://spacenews.com/nasa-receives-20-7-billion-in-omnibus-appropriations-bill/

Important here is the possibilty of a second launch pad.

5 hours ago, PB666 said:

Note they up'ed the funding for SLS to 2.15 + 0.35 billion. The 3rd of billion is for SLS launchpad, that makes 2 . . . 

Pointless if Block I only flies once apart from speeding up EM-1 to EC gap. I think Block I will end up being used for all Orion flights though, just sayin'.....

13 minutes ago, tater said:

Does ICPS have the dv to do the proposed DSG orbits?

Since the Exploration upper stage only performs TLI, exactly like the ICPS, it should allow a block 1 SLS to send an Orion to LOP/G. So a second launch pad would make a difference and allow block 1 to keep flying even after block1b. 

They could assemble LOP/G with the crewed block1b, and after that send crew on block1 and maybe a Hydrolox lander on a block 1b without crew.

Edited by Canopus

So presumably the only point of EUS is that there is a comanifested cargo component.

SLS/Orion is a pretty expensive ride, well, anyplace. I'm not sure what the benefit is of Block 1. Also, while they might have 2 MLS rigs, doesn't the VAB also have to be particularly configured for each block?

4 minutes ago, tater said:

So presumably the only point of EUS is that there is a comanifested cargo component.

SLS/Orion is a pretty expensive ride, well, anyplace. I'm not sure what the benefit is of Block 1. Also, while they might have 2 MLS rigs, doesn't the VAB also have to be particularly configured for each block?

Yeah Crewed Block 1b is only needed for ISS style habitation modules without independant propulsion systems relying on Orion to maneuver them to LOP/G. I don‘t know about the VAB but it doesn‘t strike me as impossible to have different cranes for different upper stages.

Edited by Canopus

They have platforms at multiple levels that come up pretty close to the vehicle while stacked. It's not a crane thing.vab_from_gsdoksc_tps_mpcv_hires.jpg

All those semi-circles move inwards so people can walk on them right next to the vehicle. Each cutout at each height is unique to the block, and it's supposedly part of the 33 months between block 1 and 1b flying.

14 minutes ago, tater said:

They can send Orion to the LOP-G without an SLS. Other than pure politics, I don't understand why they wouldn't. 

41 minutes ago, _Augustus_ said:

Pointless if Block I only flies once apart from speeding up EM-1 to EC gap. I think Block I will end up being used for all Orion flights though, just sayin'.....

I know, I wonder if they will contract it out to other providers. [pulling hair and cursing congress]

[Rolls eyes] wonder if in the next appropriations ill we can provide the site funding for the pad a boca-chica . . lol.

Edited by PB666

10 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

They can send Orion to the LOP-G without an SLS. Other than pure politics, I don't understand why they wouldn't. 

How exactly? The only way i see is distributed lift. And that is also years away.

14 minutes ago, tater said:

All those semi-circles move inwards so people can walk on them right next to the vehicle. Each cutout at each height is unique to the block, and it's supposedly part of the 33 months between block 1 and 1b flying.

only ever read of the tower as the problem but i‘ll look into it.

Edited by Canopus

24 minutes ago, Canopus said:

How exactly? 

Now? Without its service module, of course,  which right now is somewhere in Ohio.

http://www.spaceflightinsider.com/space-centers/glenn-research-center/orion-service-module-completes-testing-nasa-plum-brook-station/

And also Lockheed Martin is trying to build two service module adaptors for the module (hopefully they will work better than those fitted on Zuma)

[Some cursing coming from a bald-headed LM engineer fiddling around the back of a large white cylinder in Ohio, 'damn, this just isn't going to work, who designed this module anyway?']

Wouldn't be hilarious if they (EM-1 mission) send the launch around the moon and just drifts off into interplanetary orbit.

[If you wanted to get the 'completed' version into space here is a cheapway, get an electron to do your bidding]

https://www.etsy.com/listing/576805706/sls-orion-service-module-and-icps-175

Edited by PB666

27 minutes ago, Canopus said:

How exactly? The only way i see is distributed lift. And that is also years away.

only ever read of the tower as the problem but i‘ll look into it.

Well, Orion's service module isn't done yet. By the time it is done, we'll be flying Commercial Crew with both Dragon 2 and Starliner.

Send Orion to LEO on Falcon Heavy, then send crew to Orion on Starliner via Atlas V, then send a single International Docking Adapter into LEO on Falcon Heavy, and use Falcon Heavy's restart capability to perform an eyeballs-out TLI burn.

You could also do it all with SpaceX, but that seems unfair and would run into cadence problems since SpaceX only has one pad for FH and it's the same pad for CC. You could send Orion to LEO on Delta IV Heavy, but that seems unnecessarily expensive.

On 23.3.2018 at 7:49 PM, tater said:

They have platforms at multiple levels that come up pretty close to the vehicle while stacked. It's not a crane thing.

So i looked around and found that the VAB has four so called "High Bays" one of which will be used for SLS and is currently configured for block 1. One bay may go to Orbital ATK for their upcoming Launcher. That leaves two. So if they build a second platform for block 1b, they would theoretically have room in the VAB to build a separate integration facility.

Part of the issue I think is that the stack height changes a lot for 1b since EUS is substantially larger than ICPS. So the lower diameters are larger, and then the top of the stack moves up from there.

On 3/23/2018 at 2:49 PM, tater said:

They have platforms at multiple levels that come up pretty close to the vehicle while stacked. It's not a crane thing.vab_from_gsdoksc_tps_mpcv_hires.jpg

Since the second MLP is funded, it's been mentioned that EM-2 and Europa Clipper may fly on Block I while the IB pad/VAB area are built.