NASA SLS/Orion/Payloads

_Augustus_

• 2 weeks later...

You could... if someone finally would build that darn thing. Lock-Mart really should get to it already. But as for now, all we have is presentations and "shoulda, coulda, woulda"s.

2 hours ago, Xd the great said:

Bruh, i guess they should abandon the orion/sls and use/invest in bfr.

Should be cheaper.

Also, buy some falcon 9s for sending stuff.

Or maybe falcon heavies.

Or maybe they shouldn‘t.

11 hours ago, Scotius said:

You could... if someone finally would build that darn thing. Lock-Mart really should get to it already. But as for now, all we have is presentations and "shoulda, coulda, woulda"s.

As long as it's not Northrop Grumman....

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

Btw how is that sticker sticked? With a sticky side to the sterile surface?

Probably by someone who knows what they're doing wearing clean gloves.

EDIT: Misread sticked to mean placed or removed.

Edited by Mad Rocket Scientist

I've recently become interested in the F1-B engine, a radically simplified and modernized revision of the F1-A, which was designed (but as I understand not prototyped) for the SLS as a liquid alternative to the shuttle-like SRBs they went with. I've been trying to get a feel for how these options compared to eachother and why (specifically) they found the SRBs to be the better option. In the absence of a committee, the decision would probably boil down to (in no particular order):

• Thrust (engineering requirement that both options provide a total of 3.6MN)
  • Dry mass
  • Isp  (or burn time)
  • Cost
  • Logistics
  • Safety/reliability
  • Aerodynamic/vibration complexities

I'd have to imagine that the F1-B would take an edge from the safety/reliability standpoint, but I'm having a really hard time finding anything concrete to compare them by in the other regards. I've found on wiki that the shuttle SRB has a vac ISP of 260s (pretty good!), but while I know Cape Kennedy can have some nasty weather, I've never heard of it being vacuum bad!

Anyways, anyone have some figures I can sink my teeth into? Thanks in advance.

35 minutes ago, Cunjo Carl said:

I've recently become interested in the F1-B engine, a radically simplified and modernized revision of the F1-A, which was designed (but as I understand not prototyped) for the SLS as a liquid alternative to the shuttle-like SRBs they went with. I've been trying to get a feel for how these options compared to eachother and why (specifically) they found the SRBs to be the better option. In the absence of a committee, the decision would probably boil down to (in no particular order):

• Dry mass
  • Isp  (or burn time)
  • Cost
  • Logistics
  • Safety/reliability

I'd have to imagine that the F1-B would take an edge from the safety/reliability standpoint, but I'm having a really hard time finding anything concrete to compare them by in the other regards. I've found on wiki that the shuttle SRB has a vac ISP of 260s (pretty good!), but while I know Cape Kennedy can have some nasty weather, I've never heard of it being vacuum bad!

The reason for using SRBs is almost surely political. Gotta keep those boys at Morton Thiokol (now ATK?) shoveling pork into those massive SRBs. In other words, more jobs in more congressional districts. 

Just now, StrandedonEarth said:

The reason for using SRBs is almost surely political. Gotta keep those boys at Morton Thiokol (now ATK?) shoveling pork into those massive SRBs. In other words, more jobs in more congressional districts. 

Committee decision, got it. That's too bad! Well, if anyone's got the goods on the tech specs, I'd still be happy to learn about them.

2 hours ago, Cunjo Carl said:

• Dry mass
  • Isp  (or burn time)
  • Cost
  • Logistics
  • Safety/reliability

The intent was to start with SRBs and then use LRBs for later generations.

It was supposed to help keep jobs and prolong/replace existing contracts, and also be relatively quick.

What they didn't expect was that the SRBs had to be heavily redesigned.

3 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

The intent was to start with SRBs and then use LRBs for later generations.

It was supposed to help keep jobs and prolong/replace existing contracts, and also be relatively quick.

What they didn't expect was that the SRBs had to be heavily redesigned.

Interesting, I had thought the SRBs were largely the same as before, save for the extra segment and (I'd assume) some safety updates.

Let's see... I remember NASA's 2-page happy facts sheet says they wound up needing to change a few things:

• 25 percent more propellant
  • New nozzle design
  • New asbestos-free insulation and liner configuration
  • New avionics
  • Improved nondestructive evaluation processes

That sounds like a bit of work, but not a ton. They're definitely understandable updates and retrofits for serving on a new rocket. Let's dig a little deeper... Apparently the motor cases and the propellant also need updating!? What would be left of the original? I can see what you mean about the heavy redesign now. It looks like they'll be aiming for yet another redesign as well, the "Advanced Booster", now in a racy black color! If I'm understanding this little tech blurb in the image, it's only supposed to take only 1000 labor hours to produce? Somehow that seems like an underestimate, but I'm sure they have something in mind. Then it seems they're trying to keep the door open for yet another yet another redesign after that... Well, even if the race was over before it really started, it's still interesting from the tech perspective:

'Advanced Booster' SRB                                                                                   'Pyrios' LRB
D6XrZiU.jpg  VS  3OTMtF3.jpg

Oh my gosh, the F1-B LRBs are what the Twin Boar was designed after!? I knew I liked them for a reason!

(Images originally from https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2018/05/sls-advanced-boosters-flight-nine-shuttle-heritage/ )

Edited by Cunjo Carl