SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Well alrighty then! One booster on the ground, one flight-proven Dragon back in space where it belongs. 

That landing never gets old and that view of Dragon coasting away from the second stage with Earth in the background... yeah that's what I'm talking about!

Looking at the "map view", so to speak, it looks like the second orbit goes over a place quite close to SpaceX's Texas launch site. It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to conduct a plane change maneuver and deorbit burn to land S2 at Boca Chica after launching from Florida.

I noticed the same thing with the Inmarsat 5 F4 launch, so it seems like it would be possible with both GTO and LEO missions. 

Pics

Edited by TheEpicSquared
Added links to pics (hey, that sort of rhymes!)

1 minute ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Looking at the "map view", so to speak, it looks like the second orbit goes over a place quite close to SpaceX's Texas launch site. It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to conduct a plane change maneuver and deorbit burn to land S2 at Boca Chica after launching from Florida.

Would be nice to see a S2 landing at a new location! :) 

1 minute ago, kerbinorbiter said:

They could do it at vandenburg (the polar site or whatever its called)

Depending on mission specifications and orbital positioning, they could potentially land there as well, however both facilities would need to be equipped for a landing. Hopefully in the future we will get some more awesome landing shots! :cool:

9 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

I noticed the same thing with the Inmarsat 5 F4 launch, so it seems like it would be possible with both GTO and LEO missions. I think I got a screenshot of it, I'll see if I can get it here soon. :) 

Inmarsat 5 F4: 4gaKKxl.png

^ Note that the trajectory goes right over the Gulf of Mexico, where Boca Chica is.

And CRS-11:OA6CeIr.png

^ Again, the trajectory goes (roughly) over the Gulf. Would require more delta-v for the plane change, but if it's a LEO launch (as is the case with CRS missions), S2 would conceivably have enough spare propellant.