SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

12 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Serious question: what's that thingamabob that goes up inside the S2 MVAC? Is that what's actually supporting the second stage structure?

I would have thought that the structural loads are carried at the outside of the rocket body, for best rigidity. My guess is that the central pole is a pingy springy thingy used to push the stages apart cleanly at separation.

Spotted something VERY kerbal -- the first stage started the flip for the boostback burn using its cold gas nitrogen thrusters, but the engine ignition happened before the stage had stopped rotating. So they used the engine gimbal to stop the rotation rather than waiting a few extra seconds for the nitrogen thrusters to arrest. I've done that so many times; just wait until the RCS has my rocket pointed in generally the right direction and then let gimbal + SAS do the rest.

7 hours ago, kerbinorbiter said:

Also are they using tin foil on the second stage :P 

Nah - that's not tin foil - it's the Low Mass Engine Protective Cover. 

(made of tinfoil.... shhhh)

Couldn't watch it live, but I made a conscious effort to avoid all media in an attempt to not see any spoilers. So, I woke up and immediately started the recording, anyway, the solar panels are deployed and the webcast is coming to an end. Nice work SpaceX!

Anyway, if I wasn't convinced that somebody from SpaceX was following this thread earlier, I am now. I express a wish for them to show the cameras used to take the long shots and they oblige! Thanks SpaceX!

I knew the equipment they used had to be substantial, but look at that monster! Amazing! It appears that it is so smooth and well balanced that the operator is using just a few fingers to swing it around.

JPpBZEi.png

42 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

I knew the equipment they used had to be substantial, but look at that monster! Amazing! It appears that it is so smooth and well balanced that the operator is using just a few fingers to swing it around.

JPpBZEi.png

Hmm. Ballistic missiles with sub-ten-meter accuracy, and now this thing, that looks like a flarping turbolaser battery. 

Is Elon Musk building a space program... or his own private army...:sealed:

I expect battle droids any day now.

4 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Hmm. Ballistic missiles with sub-ten-meter accuracy, and now this thing, that looks like a flarping turbolaser battery. 

If I remember correctly this equipment is a refurbished AA battery. Just that the guns were replaced with cameras

5 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Both. Reusable drop pods away, sir!

Edit. It's worse than that - he's also started a company to develop neural interfaces. If he starts another one to develop high capacity artificial muscles then that's the time to get really scared...

...or resigned to our battlemech piloting overlords.

Edited by KSK

6 hours ago, Shpaget said:

Oh, I have got to get me one of these!!!  :)

On 6/2/2017 at 9:33 AM, Lukaszenko said:

Dammit, next launch is smack in the middle of my party time. I can postpone work or sleep, but Saturday evening?

Maybe I'll just host a launch party.... 

So yeah, smack in the middle of my party, I just switched the TV to SpaceX launch and turned off the music. I was a bit made fun of, but in the end it was a big hit. I don't care whotf you are, it's an interesting thing to watch.

Funnily, after the first stage landed, I turned it off and switched back the music. I guess the fun part was over :D

2 hours ago, Mighty1 said:

If I remember correctly this equipment is a refurbished AA battery. Just that the guns were replaced with cameras

Makes sense, its far more solid than it has to be for cameras as the guns are heavier and they also have recoil you have to handle. 

7 hours ago, Shpaget said:

Couldn't watch it live, but I made a conscious effort to avoid all media in an attempt to not see any spoilers. So, I woke up and immediately started the recording, anyway, the solar panels are deployed and the webcast is coming to an end. Nice work SpaceX!

Anyway, if I wasn't convinced that somebody from SpaceX was following this thread earlier, I am now. I express a wish for them to show the cameras used to take the long shots and they oblige! Thanks SpaceX!

JPpBZEi.png

It looks like one of these:

quad__50cal_by_shelbs2.jpg

1 hour ago, KSK said:

Both. Reusable drop pods away, sir!

Edit. It's worse than that - he's also started a company to develop neural interfaces. If he starts another one to develop high capacity artificial muscles then that's the time to get really scared...

...or resigned to our battlemech piloting overlords.

I'd be okay with that. :cool:

36 minutes ago, Lukaszenko said:

So yeah, smack in the middle of my party, I just switched the TV to SpaceX launch and turned off the music. I was a bit made fun of, but in the end it was a big hit. I don't care whotf you are, it's an interesting thing to watch.

Funnily, after the first stage landed, I turned it off and switched back the music. I guess the fun part was over :D

The quick and easy way to make anyone a Space nerd, show them SpaceX launches and landings :D

Edited by Spaceception