SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

20 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

THERE'S STAGE 1 TELEMETRY!!!

At time of stage separation it says the vehicle is moving at 6000 kph, and a second later 24000 kph - and once back on the pad, 18000 kph. What's going on with that??

6 minutes ago, kurja said:

At time of stage separation it says the vehicle is moving at 6000 kph, and a second later 24000 kph - and once back on the pad, 18000 kph. What's going on with that??

They forgot to switch from "Orbit" to "Surface" on the navball?

2 hours ago, kurja said:

I noticed that during stage 1 landing they switched the telemetry to show stage 1 speed and altitude. That may have been it, switching between stage 1 and 2 telemetry.

7 hours ago, Shpaget said:

I believe it's one of those $IfYouHaveToAskYouCantAffordIt deals.

3 hours ago, StupidAndy said:

I don't think SpaceX can go a launch without doing a first

You are only allowed to give 25 likes per day. You cannot give any more likes today.

Aye, I owe the both of you likes

Edited by Spaceception

8 hours ago, cubinator said:

I noticed that during stage 1 landing they switched the telemetry to show stage 1 speed and altitude. That may have been it, switching between stage 1 and 2 telemetry.

At moment of separation they were moving at same speed, right? Reading jumps from 6k to 24k. And slows down from that to 18k (24 - 18 = 6?) when booster lands. It also says "stage 1" all the time.

Edited by kurja

Any ideas when we may see the third flight of the booster? How do SpaceX decide when to reuse them? I guess they may use up their recovered boosters first before flying them for a third time

Edited by Skylon

30 minutes ago, Skylon said:

Any ideas when we may see the third flight of the booster? How do SpaceX decide when to reuse them? I guess they may use up their recovered boosters first before flying them for a third time

Probably one of the more important factors is the customer's wish. While we don't know if the discount policy applies to all customers, we do have this bit of info:

https://spaceflightnow.com/2016/09/13/ses-stands-by-spacex-after-getting-good-discount-on-reused-rocket/

In an interview with Spaceflight Now the day before the accident, Halliwell declined to disclose the value of the deal. SES originally inked the SES 10 launch contract with SpaceX in 2014, but Halliwell said it was bundled together with contracts to launch other SES satellites.

The companies signed a separate agreement to cover the specifics of the partially reusable rocket launch, and the financial terms.

“We got a discount,” Halliwell said. “I can’t go into the specific pricing, but we did get a discount for being an early adopter of the technology.”

In response to a question whether the discount was closer to potential figures publicly disclosed by SpaceX’s Shotwell and SES chief executive Karim Sabbagh — who discussed possible reusability discounts of 30 percent and 50 percent, respectively — Halliwell said: “It certainly came out closer to Gwynne than to Karim.”

The customer then has the choice of a more expensive brand new launch vehicle or a discount one that comes with an additional risk of failure. Once (and if) SpaceX proves that reused boosters are more reliable, the discount policy may switch around and we could potentially see new boosters as cheaper ones, since "they are being tested", while the reused ones are "flight proven" and more demand equals higher price. Of course, that is a big if.

Edited by Shpaget

52 minutes ago, Skylon said:

I wouldn't be surprised if not all of the current crop of boosters get reflown at all, since there's another upgrade on the way to make reuse easier (what is it, the F9D? Epison? 3.14159? What's the epithet this week?). IIRC there's like six, most will probably end up as testbeds till they fail if the next gen is that much easier to rotate. 

3 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I wouldn't be surprised if not all of the current crop of boosters get reflown at all, since there's another upgrade on the way to make reuse easier (what is it, the F9D? Epison? 3.14159? What's the epithet this week?). IIRC there's like six, most will probably end up as testbeds till they fail if the next gen is that much easier to rotate. 

The Falcon MAAAAAX

Nah, Block 5

56 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

F9B5. R2D2's biggest brother

BDBDBD....

51 minutes ago, tater said:

Musk said that whatever "block" people were discussing (at a press conference or something) should really be called "Falcon 2.5." Their naming methodology needs work, clearly.

This guy was one of their first hires back in the early days. :D

25 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Especially the "Flacon". What's up with that, SpaceX? :P 

I know, crazy (I'll leave that up now that made me laugh, no corrections needed)

Another thing, why V1.1. What, is there going to be a V2? Just call it V1

Edited by Skylon

4 minutes ago, Skylon said:

I know, crazy (I'll leave that up now gay made me laugh, no corrections needed)

Another thing, why V1.1. What, is there going to be a V2? Just call it V1

I think it should be as follows:

Falcon 1 v1.0

Falcon 1 v1.1 (Falcon 1e)

Falcon 5

Falcon 9 v1.0 (first Falcon 9 version)

Falcon 9 v1.1 (second Falcon 9 version)

Falcon 9 v1.2 (current Falcon 9 version)

Falcon 9 v1.3 (Falcon 9 Block 5)