SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

1 minute ago, Skylon said:

Just thinking, if the first stage lands perfectly, but the second stage and payload are destroyed, is that a partial success?

Nope. :)  The savings on the refurbished booster don't make up for not getting paid for getting the payload on orbit.

Looks like that's a good payload sep though - job done!

1 minute ago, Skylon said:

Just thinking, if the first stage lands perfectly, but the second stage and payload are destroyed, is that a partial success?

I would think it'd be considered a mission failure (Payload is the actual mission) with secondary objective (landing booster) successful

1 minute ago, Streetwind said:

There, I got to see the replay I wanted now :) Great view of stage 2 ignition, they really didn't care to wait for stage 1 to get out of the way :D

"Pfft. Interstage damage? What's that?"  ~ Stage 2 Lead Engineer

2 minutes ago, kerbinorbiter said:

wait upon looking through the footage back is that the auto drone thingy that Knews mentioned?

I saw a garage, but I didn't see the actual vehicle come out.

Fun fact: I remembered the launch, loaded up youtube on the computer and gathered my family just in time for T-1 minute

Edit: Ahhhh I'm listening to the webcast music. It's great

I really want the opportunity for the forums to ask Elon questions

Edited by Skylon

4 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

If it gets bumped, it's my fault. Once again I have the day off. Stupid broken tooth.  :huh: Stupid dentist.  :mad: Would rather go out & catch the booster bare handed. 

It did get a little bump, but it launched successfully :D

Of course I was working during the launch. Glad to hear it was a total success. Those legs sure look flat, I'll guess that's there's no room underneath for the Foomba (Falcon Roomba). I'll watch the replays when I get home later, they should have full footage up if it's not already. 

Has Spacex always used "fire in the hole" staging?  Of course, main engine cut-off, staging, second stage ignition weren't simultaneous, but more like someone hitting the spacebar three times in succession without having time to check to see if everything was going exactly right.

11 minutes ago, wumpus said:

Has Spacex always used "fire in the hole" staging?  Of course, main engine cut-off, staging, second stage ignition weren't simultaneous, but more like someone hitting the spacebar three times in succession without having time to check to see if everything was going exactly right.

The correct word is hot staging, you fire upper stage before disconnect, Russian rockets uses it, that is why they have an grind structure between the stages. 
Benefit is that you don't need trust to push the fuel and oxidizer down before firing either with the reaction jet or dedicated solid fuel engines. 

It will not work on Facon 9 as the insterstage is an long tube who also hold the grind fins for landing  

It looked like the upper stage had a pretty significant off-attitude kick it had to correct for, too. For all the talk of how light this bird was for a commsat, this seems like a very high-energy launch. 

Ive probably asked this before, but any idea what that assembly that goes up inside the bell of the upper stage MVAC is?

http://www.spaceflight101.net/falcon-9-v11.html

The first stage of the Falcon 9 is connected to the second stage via a carbon fiber aluminum core composite structure acting as interstage adapter, housing the MVac engine of the second stage. Stage separation is accomplished via separation collets and pneumatic pushers in three interfaces connecting the two stages. SpaceX tries to avoid using pyrotechnics for separation events.

Go to T+3:04 of today's launch: the commentator describes the separation as having "four pneumatic actuators". I'm convinced that central pole is one of them, so probably "pushers in three interfaces connecting the two stages" means there are three more actuators - near the interstage walls? - to bring the total to four. I guess there's more space available inside the engine bell to fit a telescoping ram long enough to guarantee the bell clears the interstage housing.